PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Speeding Ticket

Lyfisin
07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I got a speeding ticket in Alabama earlier this week. I was entering a town and believe I was screened from the 55 sign (down from 65) by a semi, but oh well. I was doing 72.

I called the number on the ticket and they say that Alabama state law indicates I have to appear before the judge to be able to take a defensive driving class. That’s something that is unlikely to happen since I don’t find myself in ‘bama very often.

According to my insurance company (AAA), there is a good chance my insurance will go up in ’09 when my policy renews even though my last ticket was in the year 2000. If that happens, I will majorly snivel.

Are there any other options or resources I can pursue?

tiffo60
07-27-2007, 09:51 AM
have you tried to contact any traffic attorneys out there?, im sure they could appear in court for you

L8 APEX
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I thought out os state tickets didn't affect your insurance. Somehting about other states picking on you or being biased etc.. I would see if out of state tickets count and then call the PD and ask for deferred. If they say no, call a local ticket lawyer to file for deferred. I say tear it up and forget about it, F Alabama:evil.

Lyfisin
07-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I've never used a traffic attorney. In addition to the fine, I also have to pay them? What's a typical cost of that?

tiffo60
07-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I've never used a traffic attorney. In addition to the fine, I also have to pay them? What's a typical cost of that?

most are 50 to 100

slick-svt
07-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Nock on wood my last was in 95

ZeusSVT
07-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Yeah Tifton is just about right on. I got a speeding ticket in good ole Valdosta, GA in 2005 and had the same problem. I was running 87 in a 70 trying to get down to Tampa, Fl. in time for new years. I used a traffic attorney then and it cost me $85 dollars out of pocket just for the attorney. Much better than having it stuck on the record and affecting the insurance for sure. I would look online and see what you can find. Might be able to find an even better price than that. Just depends probably.

dboat
07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I got mine a long long time ago in Mississippi... I just blew it off and waited for the statute of limitations to kick in.. I wasnt planning on going to MS anytime soon again.. so I would look into the statute of limitations and maybe take the risk that they would put a warrant out for you and then let it fade away..

Dana

SILVER2000SVT
07-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Federal law says that insurance companies can only use the last 3 years of tickets or claims to determine your premiums. When getting new insurance some companies (very few) will look at a 5 year history to determine if they want to take you on as a new customer, but only the last 3 are used to calculate the premium. The only exception that I'm aware of is a DUI which is 7 or 10 years?

In the old days the insurance companies wouldn't check other states because it was too costly to do the research and a ticket in another state would often go unnoticed unless you had a major claim or some reason for the insurance company to need to check you out, but recent "improvements" in communications and shared databases among state agencies have closed that gap unfortuneately.

Texas is a very friendly state for not having tickets on record, other states it gets a lot harder. Typical lawyer fee for speeding in TX ($40) other states ($150-$300). I would consider getting a lawyer.

gbgary
07-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I thought out os state tickets didn't affect your insurance. .

i think that's true but i'd call someone to make sure.

L8 APEX
07-27-2007, 01:22 PM
See, Dana is an American BadAss that is what I am talking about! You rock!knana

Lyfisin
07-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I wish I could be like that. I don't want to risk it given I'll be driving through Alabama at least a couple of times a year.

Thanks for the great replies all. Now I just gotta find an attorney.

/grumble

Aggie Mom
07-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Most states follow the "nonresident violator compact act of 1977." Which means if you get a ticket in their state they will notify your state that you got a ticket. However, if the mph over the speed limit is 10 or less they may choose not to notify the drivers home state. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

p.s. I work for an insurance company, so that's why I know.

03LightningRocks
07-28-2007, 01:38 AM
SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>I say tear it up and forget about it, F Alabama:evil.

I was told that this technique no longer works. There is some kind of State to State co-op B.S. that forces you to address the outstanding ticket when you go to renew your license. I was also told that a ticket counts against you no matter where you get it.

Louisianna made me write an essay appologizing to the local parish I got caught speeding in and pay a 250 dollar fine to get a dismissal. Illinoise made me pay 225 bucks to get defferred. Pennsylvania didn't give a sh!t that I was driving 95 while towing a trailer and cared even less that I accidently drove off without paying for 50 bucks in gas...LOL. Tennessee stuck it squarely up my bud Howards a$$ and gave him two choices, either appear to plea innocent or plead guilty and pay the fine. It went against his record. no option for deffered. Texas has allowed me deferred but refused to let my bud from Boston do this. He had to pay or appear.

Many different ways from state to state...but thanks to computers, you can no longer just blow it off.

:tu:

03LightningRocks
07-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Most states follow the "nonresident violator compact act of 1977." Which means if you get a ticket in their state they will notify your state that you got a ticket. However, if the mph over the speed limit is 10 or less they may choose not to notify the drivers home state. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

p.s. I work for an insurance company, so that's why I know.

LOL...that'll teach me to post without reading all the replies first....:bows.

Yeah...what aggiemom said...:cool:.

dboat
07-28-2007, 07:21 AM
See, Dana is an American BadAss that is what I am talking about! You rock!knana

:icon_mrgreen:

03LightningRocks
07-29-2007, 12:30 AM
:icon_mrgreen:

I take it you liked the way that sounded. :D

Lyfisin
07-29-2007, 06:32 AM
It's surprising how hard it is to find a traffic attorney out there. This place is in the middle of nowhere. The next town over looks like it might have an option or two although neither mentions traffic issues in their web space. Maybe they can give a recommendation anyway.

If it wasn't for my insurance possibly going up, I wouldn't even care. I'd just pay the fine and be done with it. :mad:

Silver_2000
07-29-2007, 08:05 AM
You could also call the local Bar Association to get a referral

Doug

my2002lightning
07-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Brook,

You might want to check out this site: http://www.theattorneystore.com/

When I had my first tkt. in the L for 77/55, it was $50 for Martin Rubin to take care of it + court costs.

Were you running the V1? Did they nail you with radar or Lidar?

Good luck!

Ronald

Lyfisin
07-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I was in a rental car and wasn't running anything but stoopidity.

Thanks for the link. :beer: