PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't get home

Mark #2
08-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Water main break on the side of my house.
It's always something.

tiffo60
08-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I assume the water stayed at street level and your house is ok?

Mark #2
08-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah, just a big mess, sidewalk, yard, alley, and street damage.

03LightningRocks
08-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Nice timing. Just the other day, I was watching on the news and they where discussing the deteriorating infrastructure in the US. Sewer lines, water lines, streets, bridges...all the stuff we have been building up over the last 50 -75 years is beginning to need repair. it's going to cost billions to fix all this stuff and keep it fixed.

Mark #2
08-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Nice timing. Just the other day, I was watching on the news and they where discussing the deteriorating infrastructure in the US. Sewer lines, water lines, streets, bridges...all the stuff we have been building up over the last 50 -75 years is beginning to need repair. it's going to cost billions to fix all this stuff and keep it fixed.
Yup, like Minneapolis for example. Pennsylvania and New York bridges were in bad shape 25 years ago.

In June 1983 I was driving I95 to Ma from PA and a bridge in Connecticut fell just minutes after I went over it.:eek:

They came on the radio and told everyone to pull over and walk to the next mile marker to see where you were on the highway. I pulled over into the breakdown lane an idled along to see where I was, and it was just a couple of miles behind me.

The city of Richardson is rebuilding a lot of it's infrastructure now. This is the third break in this line in the past 3 years. Second one next to my house.
They told me they will likely dig up the whole line/street in the next year.

03LightningRocks
08-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I have always taken it for granted that the bridge would allow me to get from one end to the other. Now I have to question my confidence. The bridge that just fell was put on a list of degrading bridges in 1991. Somebody needs an ass kicking for that one.

L8 APEX
08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I go fast over bridges just in case:icon_eek:

Moonshine
08-05-2007, 09:36 PM
As a goverment employee, I know the drill. Nothing is a priority until after a disaster. I also recall reading an article about 20 years ago talking about the deteriorating infrastructure, specifically the interstate highway system, and the number of bridges nationwide that are dangerous. Consequently, it's always made me nervous to get stuck in traffic on a bridge or elevated highway. Just looking at all the 18 wheelers, at 80k each, and I start doing the nervous math in my head.

Silver_2000
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
As a goverment employee, I know the drill. Nothing is a priority until after a disaster. I also recall reading an article about 20 years ago talking about the deteriorating infrastructure, specifically the interstate highway system, and the number of bridges nationwide that are dangerous. Consequently, it's always made me nervous to get stuck in traffic on a bridge or elevated highway. Just looking at all the 18 wheelers, at 80k each, and I start doing the nervous math in my head.

what makes me nervous is the new bridges and over passes that occillate up and down 3 or 4 inches when a minivan crosses - let alone a dump truck

03LightningRocks
08-05-2007, 10:30 PM
It's probably just a matter of time before we loose a bridge or two in our area.

PoorSvtman
08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
what makes me nervous is the new bridges and over passes that occillate up and down 3 or 4 inches when a minivan crosses - let alone a dump truck

if they didnt move at all they would come apart even faster than they do now.. They need to be able to move and give a little bit or they would just crack and fall apart.

Also the bridge that just collapased in Minneapolis had been inspected and said it needed repair few years ago but never did. The work that was being performed when it collapsed was just laying down fresh asphalt. Nothing to make the bridge stonger or to repair it other than ride smoother

Also I spent my 4th of the july on a bridge on 287 because a section of the bridge deck was old and gave out..

First day we put large steel plates to cover the hole this was a few days prior to the 4th.
(this isnt me in the pic)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/poorsvtman/177516484869_0_0.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/poorsvtman/177538564741_0_0.jpg

Next day we tore out all the "rotten" bridge deck
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/poorsvtman/178105636741_0_0.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/poorsvtman/177979569925_0_0.jpg

99WhiteBeast
08-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Damn Mike is that over by my house before Bowman Springs/Creek bridge?

I put in a call TXDOT about the above bridge after I witnessed a 18-wheeler hauling oil field equipment hit it (load was too high).

I then noticed in the paper this weekend the same bridge is on Tarrant counties top 20 in disrepair. It was built in like 1947 and had a rating of 57 on a scale of 100

slick-svt
08-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Who's the guy in the pics. Looks like one the the guys who used to live over in this area (Kevin?)

03LightningRocks
08-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Who's the guy in the pics. Looks like one the the guys who used to live over in this area (Kevin?)

You looking to hook up with him?

slick-svt
08-07-2007, 08:59 AM
You looking to hook up with him?
Don't know what the hell you got on your mind? Friend that used to live around here Dad passed away the other day.

PoorSvtman
08-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Damn Mike is that over by my house before Bowman Springs/Creek bridge?

I put in a call TXDOT about the above bridge after I witnessed a 18-wheeler hauling oil field equipment hit it (load was too high).

I then noticed in the paper this weekend the same bridge is on Tarrant counties top 20 in disrepair. It was built in like 1947 and had a rating of 57 on a scale of 100

No steve.. its on 287 down in the ghetto towards down town. This bridge goes over cobb park. Right before the exit to riverside.

Our bridges get hit all the time. Last year when i first started with TXDot. the anglin bridge got hit at 4pm. We didnt get it cleaned up and secured and covered up to keep all the loose debri from falling till 1am.

I find it funny how the news is saying that txdot is inspecting bridges all over the dallas and ft worth areas now since that major one collapsed. We do these inspections every year. About 3 months ago i was having to help close lanes down all over ft worth so people from austin could inspect them. I have done these lane closesures for the same few guys 2 years in a row now.

Mark #2
09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Water main broke again today, about 60 yards down from my house.
Guess they will be digging up the whole street a little sooner.

Funny that the guy fixing the pipe next to my house said it would break next down there, just about where it did.