PDA

View Full Version : calling any Dallas members, help.

stinger2007
08-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Sold 1st lightning early last year because of bills. Was given another truck that I just paid off. Now I have title in hand and looking to trade it in Asap for my next lightning.

I was going this weekend to trade it in on a lightning, and have my new ride for the weekend. WHEN, the front end begins acting stupid in the middle of the week. I take it to bankston ford, I have a loose wheel bearing and a rotor that's warped.

So I must do this before I trade it in, no one will trade it in with it driving like it does. I will begin this journey this weekend, I've never tackled something like this before.

Has anyone here done ever done this? Any assistance would be FRICK'N appreciated, I'll buy all the beer you can drink, well almost, not really sure how much beers some of you guys actually drink. You may not have to get your hands dirty at all, seeing how I would really like to learn this myself. Just showing up and confirming it's being done right would mean alot. THIS WOULD allow me to get bck into a lighting really quick.

I'm in Addison, 2002 F150 is the truck i'm driving currently, but not for long. TXYALOO over in SVTperformance.com said I may have some luck asking over here, so I jumped on it. If anyone can spare a little time, and would like a few cold ones. call me 214-995-9200, that's me cell.

mikelemoine
08-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Jay, Wish I could help but I have to work all weekend. Brakes on the F150 aren't too hard. Just pick up a Haynes manual and it will walk you through it. I am not a great mechanic (bad knees, bad back and lazy as hell when I get a little time off). Even so, I've done brakes on several vehicles without any issues.

Best advice before starting: Buy new rotors, pads, bearings and seals for both sides. Don't forget brake cleaner and fresh bearing grease. The bearing are probably shot from being loose and you should replace them in sets to ensure it drives and brakes straight. I can't recall what wrench removes the calipers (torx?), maybe someone will chime in and confirm.

Grease the bearings well (until it oozes between the rollers) and clean any greasy fingerprints off the rotors before you install the pads. "Autozone special" brake parts are pretty cheap for these trucks, just go easy on it while the pads/rotors burn in so they don't warp (they are "cheap" after all). Shouldn't cost you too much to do it all up right, just don't cut corners and try to reuse old parts as it will end up pulling or wandering when you brake (plus it could be unsafe and hurt someone).

Disclaimer:-) Its not too hard, but making a mistake can be costly and dangerous. If you aren't sure about something, you might want to wait until you can have a qualified mechanic give it the once-over before driving. Hope this helps.....

stinger2007
08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
thank you, i'll do just that....

have a good weekend.