PDA

View Full Version : New member intro and of course a question

00SS
08-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Hello, my name is Devin I live in Keller and i've been an alchoholic for .. sorry, wrong forum.. lol Seriously, I am a new L owner (Sold my SS, and bought me my first ford) and was wondering who/where is a good place to get a custom tune? i've been poking around.. but mostly info on dyno places.. not that most of the dyno places don't have tuners.. but I i'd like some input on the tuners that know their chit.

My truck has a few things done to it already and I have done my first mod (10.00 dollar WOT bypass), which btw is the easiest and cheapest mod i've ever done. To start, I know that the pulley is not stock, and it has a k&n with a "Pro Flo" MAF.. other than that.. just some rear end work (ie. notched frame, trailer/lower control arms) pardon my lack of correct phrases for parts.. like i said i'm a new Ford guy... so be gentle..lol

I bought this truck two weeks ago.. so all of this stuff was done already except the bypass thing. I have an issue under certain conditions (which elude me) when the truck will just shutdown under WOT. I think it's tuning.. cause the truck runs great and doesn't seem to be mechanical.

anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.. and look forward to joining in on some convo's and meeting some fellow L owners.

thanks in advance,
Devin.

tiffo60
08-16-2007, 04:19 PM
we dont have an abundance of tuners here in the fort worth area, none at all really that really know what there doing except for a local guy that we normaly use to tune but hes been slowing down lately because of his new job but you could shoot him a pm and see if he minds(L8 Apex)

other choices are all done over email which you can check out on NLOC.NET in the supporting vendors section, the big ones are JDM, Johnny Lightning Performance, ******** Motorsports(JJ), and I think theres one down in houston (PSI something)

welcome to the club and congrats on the purchase:beer:

00SS
08-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh, and here is a pic of my new toy :)

dboat
08-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Devin,
welcome to Talon,:tu:

Dana

00SS
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up.. and thanks for the welcome..I didn't get such a warm feeling when i posted over at svtperformance.. lol I think people still hold a grudge from me posting a video of my ss against a cobra..lol.

I kind of figured that there were not a lot tuners locally.. I was really hoping for a local tune since I am having that wot problem (sometimes anyway). I'll drop him a PM thanks... how about a good shop that knows how to work on these trucks.. maybe can determine / diagnose the issue.. then maybe i can just fix it my self... or will that be the same guy (L8 APex) ?

thanks again

tiffo60
08-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up.. and thanks for the welcome..I didn't get such a warm feeling when i posted over at svtperformance.. lol I think people still hold a grudge from me posting a video of my ss against a cobra..lol.

I kind of figured that there were not a lot tuners locally.. I was really hoping for a local tune since I am having that wot problem (sometimes anyway). I'll drop him a PM thanks... how about a good shop that knows how to work on these trucks.. maybe can determine / diagnose the issue.. then maybe i can just fix it my self... or will that be the same guy (L8 APex) ?

thanks again

same guy, hes really amazing when it comes to diagnosing problems with the L's

WA 2 FST
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Devin,

You'll get a good reception here. Many of us own different brands of vehicles. Personally, I'm not brand loyal at all... I try and choose the best vehicle for my needs, and right now that's just 1 Ford, 2 GMs, and 1 Chrysler. :burnout:

I would PM Terry (L8 APEX) and be patient for a time when he can tune your truck. It will be well worth it. Chances are good you're getting a boost-dump situation if you're spinning the tires hard on a WOT 1-2 upshift...and the truck will run poorly for a little bit. This is something that can be corrected relatively easily, and a tune can do it.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on picking up a sweet truck. Lightnings are a lot of fun. I've owned one for the last 8 years.:tu:

00SS
08-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks Wes, those are some nice numbers out of your Z06.. i had to pill up to a 200 shot to hit close to those numbers ;)

again, thanks for the info.. it seems it was setting a code "some kind of overboost code" but it never set off the ses light.

L8 APEX
08-16-2007, 05:22 PM
That ProFlo maf is 90% of your problems. I haven't see none single good Mustang MAF on a Lightning. Isn't ProFlo the one that went out of business? Is there is a chip or tune in the truck now? I like to work with the stock 90mm or SCT MAF they are the most reliable and consistent to tune with.

RSVT
08-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the club, Devin.....jus put lower pulley and chip and your set....and then let the real mods begin(kenne bell, whipple, built motor)

True Blue Aggie
08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Is that PoorSVTman's old truck? :icon_question:

00SS
08-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I guess that's my dilema.. how do i know what pulley is on there.. what is stock diameter.. where exactly is the "chip" as my ls1 didn't have one. it was all pcm edits.. sorry for being such a newb.. but i do pick up on things quick :)

L8 Apex.. thanks for the reply.. i responded to your pm as well.

tiffo60
08-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I guess that's my dilema.. how do i know what pulley is on there.. what is stock diameter.. where exactly is the "chip" as my ls1 didn't have one. it was all pcm edits.. sorry for being such a newb.. but i do pick up on things quick :)

L8 Apex.. thanks for the reply.. i responded to your pm as well.

stock diameter lower is 7.5in and upper is 2.96 or something like that, if it has a chip it will be installed in the side of the computer wich is behing the kick panel underneath the passenger side dash, but if it was programmed with a handheld programmer im not sure how you would check for that

L8 APEX
08-16-2007, 06:25 PM
stock upper si 2.93 and is black smooth and ugly. Lowers are 8.0" 2#, 8.5" 4#, 8.75" 6#, 9" 8# etc..

TXLIGHTNING
08-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the club :beer:. Terry's your man :tu:.

slick-svt
08-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Welcome aboard, black is beatiful........:tu:

Ohmsby
08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Welcome:beer:

wesman
08-17-2007, 10:28 AM
welcome :beer:

00SS
08-17-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks again for the warm welcome.. terry has given me a few things to check out.. fuel filter, get a stock maf.. etc so i'll give those things a go.. and then get it tuned.

wesman
08-17-2007, 12:50 PM
thanks again for the warm welcome.. terry has given me a few things to check out.. fuel filter, get a stock maf.. etc so i'll give those things a go.. and then get it tuned.

If you plan on future upgrades, go ahead and buy the SCT. No need to pay for a stocker only to have to pay to upgrade later on.

--wes

TXLIGHTNING
08-17-2007, 01:37 PM
If you plan on future upgrades, go ahead and buy the SCT. No need to pay for a stocker only to have to pay to upgrade later on.

--wes This is good advice :tu:. You WILL catch the mod bug, if you haven't already :icon_mrgreen:.

00SS
08-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Well, i probably won't be moddin much in the performance area (much ;) and will proably stick with doing some appearance mods. I have spent way to much on racing / modding my SS in the last 7 years.. and really want to have something for show (but fairyly quick). Besides, it's so much cheaper to play with my other passion (and go fast). ;)

99WhiteBeast
08-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the board and welcome to a FORD:tu:

Let me know if you want to fly the Talon logo (decal)

00SS
08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Steve, sure.. be glad to, maybe i can come to the next meet to put some faces with the names.

ZeusSVT
08-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the club, I am still pretty new. Only been on the boards for a few months now and got to my first meeting last month and Good Ole Bonedaddy's. Again welcome, and nice truck!!! :tu:

Silver_2000
08-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Welcome to all the newbies !!!

:tu::tu:

danielvalles1
08-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Welcome to all the newbies !!!

:tu::tu:
hey im a newbie and would like to know how to support talon without using paypal fill me in if anyone knows.:icon_exclaim:

L8 APEX
08-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Just find a member and give them money, preferrably me!:D

danielvalles1
08-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Just find a member and give them money, preferrably me!:D
cool i quess i will see you at the september meeting weare ever it will be

L8 APEX
08-17-2007, 10:29 PM
SWEET! You can be Pedro!
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/napoleon_dynamite.jpg

danielvalles1
08-17-2007, 10:34 PM
SWEET! You can be Pedro!
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/napoleon_dynamite.jpgcool im mexican and i kinda look like padro.:d

L8 APEX
08-17-2007, 10:39 PM
cool im mexican and i kinda look like padro.:d
I know, why do you think I made you Pedro:Dknana

danielvalles1
08-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I know, why do you think I made you Pedro:Dknana
maybe my lastname gives it away or maybe you can smell the beans im eating:D

FRDRCING
08-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Welcome to Talon