PDA

View Full Version : EBC rotor cracks?

my2002lightning
08-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I was taking a look at the rotors recently and noticed what seemed to be these radial cracks only in the front rotors. :icon_confused:

They drive fine and stop hard just as good as the day they were installed and later broken-in.

The 1st two pics are the fronts... the 2nd two pics are the rear rotors.

Just surface cracks and all is well?

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/DSC006951.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/DSC006941.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/DSC006981.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/DSC007001.JPG

L8 APEX
08-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Regular use and abuse, lol. The fronts are vented the rears are solid that is the difference.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Same thing happened to mine about two years ago. I had used them for maybe 6 months. I blamed myself since I had been drag racing with them. From seeing yours, I will now state infactically that EBC rotors are complete and total sh!t. No way your rotors should be cracked Ronald. Not unless you took up road racing recently. You haven't put those rotors through enough abuse for that to have happened yet.

Funny thing too. I was told by a couple of serious drag racers in Atlanta that EBC's where crappolla. I figured it might be just another guys opinion. Now I know different.

I went back with good old fashion ford rotors. 8 gabbillion passes later...still no cracks.

P.S. Your cracked rotors should only be taken as seriously as you take stopping your truck:cool:. Me? I would be replacing them. They are only going to get worse.

mustgofaster
08-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I've had that happen to stockers too.

tiffo60
08-20-2007, 07:32 AM
+1 I destroyed my stockers, and now I have powerslot slotted rotors and all is well, they seem to be a good rotor:tu:

Silver_2000
08-20-2007, 07:41 AM

My 2000 the stock rotors cracked

My 2004 I just stopped looking that close :evil

BC Lightning
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
My EBCs looked like that after 5,000 miles lol

Mark #2
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
My 2000 the stock rotors cracked

My 2004 I just stopped looking that close :evil

Surface cracks on stock rotors is common, but they clean right up on the surface grinder when doing a brake job.
I still have my stock 2000 rotors and road raced, autoxed, and drag race.
Use soft pads. I use the Hawk HPS.

Rotors probably won't take another turning though.

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
I cracked my stock rotors COMPLETELY in half all the way through. EBC, PowerSlot, Rotors Pros all companies use a stock blank and draw pretty lines on it with a mill. I have even trashed a set of thousand dollar BRembo 14" rotors. It is what any steel does when you get it hot. Stopping a 5000lb truck ain't easy. Might as well say Lennox is crap because it uses too much electricity sitting under the cottonwood tree. Should have bought a Carrier:hammer:. See Cottonwood seed is like the heat of stopping. No matter what what brand or rotor or air conditioner you have. Cottonwood seed and heat will affect any brand the same.:icon_eek:

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
I cracked my stock rotors COMPLETELY in half all the way through. EBC, PowerSlot, Rotors Pros all companies use a stock blank and draw pretty lines on it with a mill. I have even trashed a set of thousand dollar BRembo 14" rotors. It is what any steel does when you get it hot. Stopping a 5000lb truck ain't easy. Might as well say Lennox is crap because it uses too much electricity sitting under the cottonwood tree. Should have bought a Carrier:hammer:. See Cottonwood seed is like the heat of stopping. No matter what what brand or rotor or air conditioner you have. Cottonwood seed and heat will affect any brand the same.:icon_eek:

That is complete bullsh!t Terry. Rotors are affected by the way in which they are turned milled and machined. Some manufacturers do it better than others. By your analogy...everybody should just buy the cheapest rotors they can find and be done with it. That is not what you used to say.

As to the whimsical analogy of air conditioners....LMAO. Manufacturers of air conditioners don't claim they are immune to cottonwood seed. Let me know when Lennox or Carrier advertise one is better at collecting dirt than the other.

The EBC sales pitch is that they will hold up better than stock under duress. Oops...guess they lied.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
My EBCs looked like that after 5,000 miles lol

To be sure, the rotors may last another 5000 miles without failing. In my case, the rotors looked like that in Atlanta, 20...maybe 30 passes later(in New Jersey), they damned near came apart. I heard a strange noise from the front as I was heading to the pits. The metal had come loose and was causing a clicking sound as it wacked the brake pad. One more pass and I would have been stopping on rear brakes only.....or maybe not stopping on rear brakes only:evil.

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
EBC are better than drilled rotors because drilling a rotor really weakens it. Slots and dimples are better than holes. All rotor companies use a TRW or Wagner blank. EBC radiuses all of their milling to reduce stress risers etc. That is all you can do. Proper thermal cycling is critical to rotor life. Taking a cold rotor running 130mph quarter mile and standing on them up to 1100 degrees and pulling over and parking is going to guess what.... CRACK them:tu:

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Here is a quality STOCK factory Ford rotor it cracked completely through. At less than 7K miles none the less. Someone should tell Ford their OE rotors are deadly!
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/cracked_rotor.jpg
Here is a junk piece of crap Brembo rotor. You can see it has cracked at every hole. Obviously this is the crappiest 4 thousand dollar brake kit on the market. Call Porche, Ferrari, Lambo, Mercedes, and all the other folks running Brembo and let them know how crappy they are.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/rotor2.jpg
Or maybe just maybe these trucks are really heavy and hard to stop. No matter what brand of rotor or condensing unit you have heat and cottonwood seed will take its toll:twitch:.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
So what point are you trying to make. Is it that you where lieing your ass off when you said EBC's where the stuff? Or is it that you didn't know?

Before this thread, you where running around claiming the manufacturer of brakes did matter. Now your saying that you have changed your mind???

So am I to take it that you now believe buying brembo brakes is a bad move?

Seriously Terry, what is your point? The wimpiest truck in the club comes up with cracked rotors...and you want to compare that to a picture of brembo brakes that you road rashed into hell? Ronaldism drives that truck like it's delicate or something. He white knuckles it at 85 MPH. Are you saying that brembo brakes would do the same thing on his truck as the EBC's. If you are...I think your full of sh!t.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
EBC are better than drilled rotors because drilling a rotor really weakens it. Slots and dimples are better than holes. All rotor companies use a TRW or Wagner blank. EBC radiuses all of their milling to reduce stress risers etc. That is all you can do. Proper thermal cycling is critical to rotor life. Taking a cold rotor running 130mph quarter mile and standing on them up to 1100 degrees and pulling over and parking is going to guess what.... CRACK them:tu:

Ronaldism doesn't drag race Terry. His idea of driving fast is going 15 over the posted limit. I guess that 40 in a 20 romp he made a year ago probably overheated his rotors:tex.

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
It is you that doesn't get it Rocks. Steel is steel you get it too hot it will crack, heat check etc... No matter if it is Brembo, EBC, Ford, Chevy. Drilling holes causes more cracks faster. Brembo is the best but even they crack when you get them too hot. That was my point. If you say EBCs are crap you have to say all rotors are crap. They all come from the same place. EBC is one of the best milling companies they smooth all their edges and radius their dimples to reduce cracks. Cheap slotted rotors have sharp lines and rough fast cut milling marks. That leads to faster failures. I still like EBC's they stand up better than the cheaper milled rotors to heat. I have a very expensive education in brakes. I have spent as much on brakes as you have engines. If you don't value that knowledge that is your loss. I always tell customers Brembos are the best upgrade, of course nobody wants to spend 4 grand for brakes. The next option is a stock rotors with a pretty design on it. It does help vent gas build up and cut old material off the pad. But it is still a stock one piece rotor at heart. You get what you pay for as usual. You're an ijit if you can't understand that.:icon_rolleyes:

99WhiteBeast
08-20-2007, 03:43 PM
subscribing-what happened to the popcorn icon

Mark #2
08-20-2007, 03:44 PM
This is why I have stock brakes.
All the pretty designs are nothing more than stress risers which will make them crack before the stock rotors.

The key is heat, too hard of a pad.

tiffo60
08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
arent some rotors treated different then others? Im not up-to-date on the terms but I've heard the term kryo treated or something like that used before

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 03:54 PM
EBC are better than drilled rotors because drilling a rotor really weakens it.Slots and dimples are better than holes.

EBC makes a drilled rotor also.

EBC 3GD Sport Rotors
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/groovedisc.jpgSlotted and drilled brake rotors for cooler brakes
Manufactured using premium disc blanks mentioned above, the unique wide aperture slots in the EBC sport rotor actually draw cool air under the pad during heavy braking and reduce brake temperatures whilst also helping remove dirt, dust and debris and gasses created by heavy braking from the pad contact area. They also improve braking in off road conditions of wet, mud or sand and as such are a great choice for 4x4 vehicles. Blind drilled holes eliminate the chance of rotor cracking which is common with “through drilled” or completely drilled vent holes.

All rotor companies use a TRW or Wagner blank.

Are you sure about that?

EBC Premium Replacement Rotors
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/plaindisc.jpgEBC Premium Disc - EBC is proud to be one of the only companies selling a British manufactured brake disc programme. 100% of our discs are made in our own casting foundry in the UK from a unique material called "discalloy".
This high quality grey iron includes copper to increase thermal conductivity and wear properties.
All EBC Premium Discs are cast to a material strength of 150 N/m2 with a tightly controlled surface hardness variation less than 20 HB and are precision CNC machined to a surface tolerance of less than 0.001 mm.
So you see this is no cheap import brake disc. These brake discs have the highest integrity and product quality on the aftermarket. An OE quality replacement disc, made of the finest grade steel and a perfect replacement disc for any car.

EBC radiuses all of their milling to reduce stress risers etc.

What do the other guys do? Use a chisel and hammer?

Definition of radiuses:

radius
noun radii, radiuses

1a. geom. A straight line running from the centre to any point on the circumference of a circle or the surface of a sphere;1b. geom. The length of such a line.2. A radiating line.
3. Anything placed like a radius, such as the spoke of a wheel.
4. A usually specified distance from a central point, thought of as limiting an area.
Example: all the houses within a radius of 10km

Proper thermal cycling is critical to rotor life. Taking a cold rotor running 130mph quarter mile and standing on them up to 1100 degrees and pulling over and parking is going to guess what.... CRACK them:tu:

I agree with this 100%. But :ron: has never seen 130 MPH. Much less had to romp on the brakes when he got there. He doesn't drag race at all.

I think we may be saying the same thing...sort of. My opinion is that stock rotors(or any non-drilled/non-slotted rotors) will work just fine for drag racing. So far (knock on wood) my stock rotors are holding up better than the EBC rotors under the same conditions. This experience, plus the new info about cracks in the wimpy test truck, make me believe that EBC rotors are SH!T:tu:.

Your Turn....:cool:

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 04:01 PM
The main problem with Ford rotors is they are a pillar style if you look in the middle of the disk it is a bunch of cheapo pillars holding it together. They get really hot and have NO air moving through them to cool down. Good rotors like stock Corvette and Brembo, Wilwood, Baer etc are viened rotors. The veins act as a centrifugal pump and pull air from the center of the rotor to cool itself. The center of the rotor is basically a squirrel cage fan that cools the disk. Ford's fail due to a lack of cooling. Try ductin gair to them and see how they work. The Brembos are so efficient you can spin the rotor by hand and feel it blowing on your face slinging air off the veins. My Brembo rep said I cracked mine due to cooling them to fast with my brake ducting. So I upgraded to the slotted rotor it is more stable on operating temp. But everyone wants that pretty hole pattern to look at.http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Slotted_rotor.jpg

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 04:09 PM
They are not drilled they are DIMPLED ass chizle! That is what makes them better they are not making holes through the rotor. They may cast their Euro stuff but most American apps are US castings that is why they are painted black and not gold colored. Their Gold stuff is another line. I need a box of crayons to draw this for you. By radius I mean they roll or chamfer the edges of all of their cuts. This knocks off the stress lines and makes it all smooth. The cheap rotors just cut a hrd line and leave it sharp. I'm going back to work.

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 04:13 PM
The moral to the story is Ford rotors are pillared and do not pump any air on their own so they overheat no matter what color, shape or style they are. Aggressive pads only make it happen faster and worse. 2) nobody wants to pay 4 grand for a set of decent brakes. So if you don't want to buy good brakes don't bitch about the cheap onces you have:tu:

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
OK then. So now we are back to Brembo is a good brand. I believe you. But then I have never been willing to drop the coin for such expensive brakes. If I road raced...I probably would.

You feel that stock rotors are sh!t. OK, I can live with that. I think stock rotors are equal to or greater in quality than EBC's. I have to believe it based on Marks, Ronaldisms and my personal experience. Oh yeah...and Michael stating that his EBC's where cracked after 5000 miles.

Since the EBC's are being sold as a "performance" brake, I expect a little more from them than I do a stock rotor. They failed in that endeavor. So that makes them Sh!t :D.

TXLIGHTNING
08-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't know much about EBC rotors but I have some of the EBC Green Stuff pads I got from Terry on my stock rotors and they are the shiznit :tu:.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 04:39 PM
They are not drilled they are DIMPLED ass chizle! That is what makes them better they are not making holes through the rotor. They may cast their Euro stuff but most American apps are US castings that is why they are painted black and not gold colored. Their Gold stuff is another line. I need a box of crayons to draw this for you. By radius I mean they roll or chamfer the edges of all of their cuts. This knocks off the stress lines and makes it all smooth. The cheap rotors just cut a hrd line and leave it sharp. I'm going back to work.

Ass Chizle!!!! Don't make me come looking for you:evil. Their words..."drilled" not mine.

Draw a picture for me? Here is a picture for you.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/Stupid/reality.jpg

Silver_2000
08-20-2007, 04:42 PM
subscribing-what happened to the popcorn icon
Not sure - it was just gone

its back now :popcorn

This is one to keep an eye on ....

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
You trolling from home or office? Do you have a dry erase board up there or should I furnish one. I'll bring my own markers. Ring the bell schools in! I'll come drawr you a picture!:D
here's your picture
http://www.tshirtstudio.com/DesignCache/A5118C.jpg

99WhiteBeast
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Not sure - it was just gone

its back now :popcorn

This is one to keep an eye on ....

Thanks! I'm headed to the microwave now- this is getting good
:popcorn

Rocks maybe you should take more time off from work:D

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
snip......
Rocks maybe you should take more time off from work:D

Every time I say I am heading to the office, they all start telling me the same thing you just said. Hmmm. What a coincidence .:tex

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
You trolling from home or office? Do you have a dry erase board up there or should I furnish one. I'll bring my own markers. Ring the bell schools in! I'll come drawr you a picture!:D
here's your picture
http://www.tshirtstudio.com/DesignCache/A5118C.jpg

OH Yeah???

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/6thsense.jpg

Sandman
08-20-2007, 06:31 PM
OH Yeah???

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/6thsense.jpg
:rll::rll::rll:

subscribing.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
SNIP........ They may cast their Euro stuff but most American apps are US castings that is why they are painted black and not gold colored. Their Gold stuff is another line. ..............Snip

I just saw this bullsh!t. Jezus Harold Christ!!!!! Your posting so much bullsh!t even I am having trouble keeping track of it.

What part of 100% don't you understand? And I quote from above...well copy and paste...same thing.

100% of our discs are made in our own casting foundry in the UK from a unique material called "discalloy".

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Snip.......By radius I mean they roll or chamfer the edges of all of their cuts. This knocks off the stress lines and makes it all smooth. The cheap rotors just cut a hrd line and leave it sharp. I'm going back to work.

The edges on Ronaldisms rotors don't look rolled or chamfered to me. I think your making sh!t up as you go.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/DSC006951.JPG

Chris94L
08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
The edges on Ronaldisms rotors don't look rolled or chamfered to me. I think your making sh!t up as you go.
As you drive on 'em it takes material off the rotor, the material that the chamfer is in.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 07:36 PM
As you drive on 'em it takes material off the rotor, the material that the chamfer is in.

Wrong.......guess again. Think about your little speculation for a minute. Your surmising that the pads are wearing the surface off the rotor enough to remove a chamfer??? Not gonna happen. The chamfer was never there. You sure you want in on this?
It's guns...not knives:evil.

Chris94L
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Look again at his pictures. There is a definite lip on the rotor where the pad has worn away material.

Mark #2
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I have a big gun in this fight.

7 year old stock rotors that have been road coursed, autoxed, and drag raced just a few hundred times.:D

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Look again at his pictures. There is a definite lip on the rotor where the pad has worn away material.

I can tell you this for sure. The ones I bought a couple years ago where sharp enough to cut you, right out of the box. I really have trouble believing that a brake pad is going to shave off enough metal to remove a chamfer.:tex

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a big gun in this fight.

7 year old stock rotors that have been road coursed, autoxed, and drag raced just a few hundred times.:D

Oh..now you want some :cool:?

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Picture11.jpg

:D

Mark #2
08-20-2007, 08:03 PM
I can tell you this for sure. The ones I bought a couple years ago where sharp enough to cut you, right out of the box. I really have trouble believing that a brake pad is going to shave off enough metal to remove a chamfer.:tex

I agree 100%, very unlikely you are going to wear the rotor that much to take a chamfer off the holes.
A slight deburr on the holes maybe but not a true cut 45 degree chamfer.

Mark #2
08-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh..now you want some :cool:?
:D
No, I don't want any, I need some AC work again, I think.:D

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I guess that Ronaldism, Michael and I aren't the only ones with a bad experience using EBC. Check it out. http://forums.focaljet.com/tire-rack-tires-wheels-brakes-forum/547316-svt-brake-rotors-ebc-not-recommended.html

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 08:16 PM
No, I don't want any, I need some AC work again, I think.:D

No worries on the AC. The guy who entertained Doug last Saturday is no longer on the pay roll. Your odds of getting somebody who knows what they are doing went up to 100%. :D

Your right on the brake rotors though. My stockers are doing better than the EBC's too. I put the experience of buying those rotors right in the same category as the plasma booster.

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I guess Terry turned tail and ran:evil. Proves he's smarter than he looks:eek:.

New picture for the occasion.

He has been...........

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/owned-cat.jpg

L8 APEX
08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Nah just been out doing better things. Is F150Online down or something why are you stirring the pot over here today?
You are a grade A asshat Rocks. Look at the bottom of every dimple and slot they are well rounded marks. Look at cheap rotors they are straight 90' degree rough cuts. As I stated the EBC's are all rounded farkstick. Keep on cut and pasting to your ignorant hearts content:icon_rolleyes:.

Silver_2000
08-20-2007, 09:38 PM
No worries on the AC. The guy who entertained Doug last Saturday is no longer on the pay roll. Your odds of getting somebody who knows what they are doing went up to 100%.

LOL - You should right me a check for that one ... Culling the dumb slow ones from the herd... and documenting the process -

By the way the unit takes some much damned water out of the air now 77 feels like 40 ...

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
LOL - You should right me a check for that one ... Culling the dumb slow ones from the herd... and documenting the process -

By the way the unit takes some much damned water out of the air now 77 feels like 40 ...

"My A/C is working too good." That is the kind of complaint I like to hear...LOL.

I'll give you a call the next time I need one tested:evil. Good job Doug...LOL. Would you believe that when I sh!t canned him, he started arguing with me about whether or not you have a two speed. I almost started laughing...:cool:.

Silver_2000
08-20-2007, 09:51 PM
"My A/C is working too good." That is the kind of complaint I like to hear...LOL.

I'll give you a call the next time I need one tested:evil. Good job Doug...LOL. Would you believe that when I sh!t canned him, he started arguing with me about whether or not you have a two speed. I almost started laughing...:cool:.
When he comes and takes my **** Im coming after you ... :evil

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Nah just been out doing better things. Is F150Online down or something why are you stirring the pot over here today?
You are a grade A asshat Rocks. Look at the bottom of every dimple and slot they are well rounded marks. Look at cheap rotors they are straight 90' degree rough cuts. As I stated the EBC's are all rounded farkstick. Keep on cut and pasting to your ignorant hearts content:icon_rolleyes:.

Wow Terry, what's with all the name calling? Here, another picture to chear you up

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Terrorist.gif

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 10:01 PM
When he comes and takes my **** Im coming after you ... :evil

LOL...he told his ride home that day that he was going to start driving a truck for a living. You just need to keep an eye out for a Semi heading at you on the freeway.:rll:

03LightningRocks
08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
In case the answer to the question Ronaldism asked got lost in all the posts... I would recommend you start looking for new rotors Ronaldism. Like I said earlier...mine went from that to cracked all the way through in about 30 passes. that's only 7 and one half miles...:evil. Yours are only going to get worse and you don't want to be stuck out on 45 some night with a busted rotor. it can create one hell of a mess if it happens at high speed.

my2002lightning
08-21-2007, 12:15 AM
I believe that the rears are vented, just like the front:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/MVC-040F1.JPG

Here's another look at the front. I believe Dana's running the EBC's too.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/DSC006921.JPG

Regular use and abuse, lol. The fronts are vented the rears are solid that is the difference.

03LightningRocks
08-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Look at them from the side and you will see what he means by "vented".

I thought the fronts in mine went out because they are taking alot of abuse as the weight of the truck shifts to the front when I stopped. The venting explanation does make sense though. Thinner steel. The backs are solid hunks of steel.

Ninja Type Edit: Looking at some pics of the rotors that are in the advertisement, the rears appear to be vented too. Maybe the rotors that fit the Lightnings are not vented on the rears. Look at them from the side Ronaldism and the mystery will be solved.

my2002lightning
08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Uncle Rocks,

That makes sense, I suppose. Vented != slotted.

I'll take a look.

Look at them from the side and you will see what he means by "vented".

I thought the fronts in mine went out because they are taking alot of abuse as the weight of the truck shifts to the front when I stopped. The venting explanation does make sense though. Thinner steel. The backs are solid hunks of steel.

Silver_2000
08-21-2007, 12:55 AM
The issue between front and rear might be that the front does like 80% of the braking = 80% of the heat
My $0.02

As far as slots and vanes - when the disc is spinning the air is being thrown out of the disc - the direction it moves on the way out is less important - centrifugal force makes the air leave ..
Doug

03LightningRocks
08-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Uncle Rocks,

That makes sense, I suppose. Vented != slotted.

If you just have to have some sort of performance brake, you might want to consider going with a slotted only rotor this time. Like Terry says, most of the lesser price rotors are probably going to crack around the dimples/holes. Or you could go all out and get some Brembo rotors:eek:. Your driving style really doesn't call for an extreme brake rotor(IMHO) though. Mark has had pretty good luck on the stock brakes and he puts them through more torture than you will. Like I posted before, the stock rotors seem to be doing fine by me. They stop every time and aren't cracked yet after 2 years.

03LightningRocks
08-21-2007, 01:00 AM
The issue between front and rear might be that the front does like 80% of the braking = 80% of the heat
My $0.02

As far as slots and vanes - when the disc is spinning the air is being thrown out of the disc - the direction it moves on the way out is less important - centrifugal force makes the air leave ..
Doug

That's what I thought too.

tiffo60
08-21-2007, 07:12 AM
My $0.02

Doug

i think thats why our trucks are so hard on front rotors because that is the way the bias is, on chevys its more like 60/40(dont quote me) there for much better stopping abilities

Silver_2000
08-21-2007, 08:01 AM
i think thats why our trucks are so hard on front rotors because that is the way the bias is, on chevys its more like 60/40(dont quote me) there for much better stopping abilities

I wasnt trying to quote Lightning specific - just that ALL brake systems are HEAVILY front weighted - Even Motorcycles get more from the front - as long as they dont wheelie

dboat
08-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I had EBC's and loved them.. when they wore out.. I replaced them with more EBC rotors and love them too.. However, I was sent the wrong EBC pads and then got some Carbon Metallics pads (I think) and they arent nearly as good.. they do take one stop to warm up, so the first stop of the day is usually pretty exciting.. I am ready to toss those pads and put on the EBC pads again.. When I drive hard, I brake hard too.. I put those original EBC's thru some pretty tough times and they worked well. That is why I went with them again. My original stock rotors found their way to Dougs 2000 L when I did the upgrade.. In my book, there was a HUGE HUGE improvement.

So maybe I am the foolish one here, but this has been my experience so far. The new EBC's with the new brake pads arent showing any signs of wear but that may be due to the brake pads that dont work nearly as well as the old ones did.

Dana

sonicbluetommy
08-23-2007, 10:02 AM
My experience with 35,000 mi on my EBC's.

Initial Impression= Noticeable seat of the pants quicker stopping!

After 35,000 miles and on my second set of pads I have had the little cracks for as long as I remember checking the rotors, no problems yet, and no cracks at the edge of the rotor (that would make me worry).

For me it was worth the money considering how powerful and heavy our trucks are to have even a slightly better margin of stopping.

Plus that hissing sound they make when step on the brakes is really cool!

oldfrmtrk
08-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Plus that hissing sound they make when step on the brakes is really cool!

Man; I glad to read that, the first time I heard the same “hissing” sound I panicked, thinking I had installed something wrong, however; like you said, it does it every time….
Cool Thanks!!!!

TXLIGHTNING
08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Man; I glad to read that, the first time I heard the same “hissing” sound I panicked, thinking I had installed something wrong, however; like you said, it does it every time….
Cool Thanks!!!! Damn Art, its your first post since 2003 :eek:. Welcome to the club :icon_mrgreen:

03LightningRocks
08-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Cool Thanks!!!!

Holy Smoley...this must be some kind of lurking record:eek:.

my2002lightning
08-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Same hissing sound when braking, too.

dboat
08-25-2007, 06:32 AM
since I am on my second set of EBC's, the first set being dimpled and slotted, second set only slotted.. the hissing is quite a bit different.. did like the sound of the first set a bit better..:rolleyes:

Dana

BC Lightning
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
well my brakes are focked!!!!!! Luckily I scored some stock rotors to put back on so I can get rid of this EBC trash, this is my second set of EBC rotors and pads

So whats pads to get?? The only thing I like about the EBC pads were there was very little to no brake dust, kept the chromies looking bling bling

I'll have better pics when these come off my camera wouldnt focus on the cracks that went through the rotors

Pics:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0626.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0625.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0621.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0624.JPG

dboat
09-13-2007, 07:10 PM
I had pretty good luck with mine.. what I will say is that I dont think its the rotors but rather the pads.. I just think that the pads are very VERY aggressive and that is what causes this.. I beat the crap out of mine, but I can tell you that the EBC's stop a heck of a lot better than what I have now..

Dana

99WhiteBeast
09-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Bic,
What pads were you running? How many miles?

BC Lightning
09-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Bic,
What pads were you running? How many miles?

10,000 miles and EBC green stuff pads

L8 APEX
09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Those are just some little heat checks:tu:

Silver_2000
09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
my stockers did the same thing

99WhiteBeast
09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
10,000 miles and EBC green stuff pads

WTF- do you ride your brakes or something? Or is that the result of power braking doing big smokey burnouts:burnout:

L8 APEX
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
The EBC pads do have a higher friction and temp level. That attributes to some of the damage they can incur.

my2002lightning
09-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Green pads and about the same mileage, too.

dboat
09-14-2007, 04:59 AM
My EBC's did the same thing and I had done some really big power braking on them.. they held up just fine for 30,000 miles...no indication of that with the new ones, but again, I am not using the same pads and I have no where near the same braking power either.

Dana

03LightningRocks
09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
:cool:...Must be those chamfered dimples.

L8 APEX
09-14-2007, 01:46 PM
The EBC pad compound has the most to do with it. It has a higher friction and operates to higher temps than regular pads. That allows for it to place more heat on the rotors which make more cracks etc.. Everyone that has gone away from EBC pads notices a loss of bite and braking especially at higher temps. Braking is converting motion into heat. The more motion you change the more heat you make...

PUMP
09-14-2007, 06:54 PM
snip''' Braking is converting motion into heat. The more motion you change the more heat you make...
I knew I should have stayed awake during Physics 101.:hammer:

dboat
09-14-2007, 10:31 PM
The EBC pad compound has the most to do with it. It has a higher friction and operates to higher temps than regular pads. That allows for it to place more heat on the rotors which make more cracks etc.. Everyone that has gone away from EBC pads notices a loss of bite and braking especially at higher temps. Braking is converting motion into heat. The more motion you change the more heat you make...

I will agree with this 100%... that has been my experience.. now I am thinking of going back to the EBC pads.. my new ones have to warm up and even then they dont grab like the EBC's..

Dana

L8 APEX
09-15-2007, 12:01 AM
I knew I should have stayed awake during Physics 101.:hammer:
SHit, you have forgotten more than I will ever know. You know what I mean to say. Braking makes heat, the more stopping force you have the more heat you make. I love to watch the road cars race their carbon and even the steel discs glow red coming into a corner and fade to black as they exit the turns.

danielvalles1
09-21-2007, 09:00 PM
I was wondering how will ebc Green stuff brake pads brake on a stock rotor, or what brake pads should i use, my stock rotors are still good so i don't whant to change rotors yet if i dont have to.:icon_exclaim: