PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to buy a new 9mm and came across this

StormShadow
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I was thinking Glock 19 but wishing I could get something a little different from what everyone else has and I came across this website. Any opinions? Terry suggested that I just go with the Glock and so has one of my uncles Police buddies so thats probably what I'll do but would like to hear some discussion on the other options.

http://www.best9mm.com/

RSVT
09-01-2007, 06:37 PM
i got a S&W 10mm, a Witness .45 cal, Springfield 9mm tacticial, about 3 380s, and snum nose 38 S&W, at the pawn shop i work at? any interest, come in and ask for Roy, i'll be the sales man:tu:

bluesvt
09-01-2007, 06:40 PM
i got a S&W 10mm, a Witness .45 cal, Springfield 9mm tacticial, about 3 380s, and snum nose 38 S&W, at the pawn shop i work at? any interest, come in and ask for Roy, i'll be the sales man:tu:

What pawn shop? Adam I went and looked at the when I got off. I may get one next pay check and sell my .40 or use it as a back up for little piggys if I ever go hunting again.

L8 APEX
09-01-2007, 07:36 PM
That website should be called asshat9mm.com The reviews sound like they were written my someone more apt to win a video game than a gunfight.

He rates the Glock 15th but says this..
The G34 is a real hot rod and would rank at the top of this list.
If my top 20 list was for carry guns, the Glock 19 could be the winner.
If I had a list of top twenty asshats he would be #1:hammer:

bluesvt
09-01-2007, 07:51 PM
If I had a list of top twenty asshats he would be #1:hammer:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

:evil Who are the other 19? You got me curious.

gbgary
09-01-2007, 08:55 PM
:evil Who are the other 19? You got me curious.

:icon_mrgreen:

L8 APEX
09-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Brings back fond memories of the official PR shitlist. It was removed due to extreme bandwidth charges:icon_eek:

gagspa
09-02-2007, 12:23 AM
My favorite gun to shoot is my Glock 21 (.45 ACP), but being full sized it is not a good carry gun. What are you going to use it for?

dboat
09-02-2007, 05:14 AM
Brings back fond memories of the official PR shitlist. It was removed due to extreme bandwidth charges:icon_eek:

I am a proud member of that list!! :D

Dana

L8 APEX
09-02-2007, 09:06 AM
It wasn't you specifically if I remember correctly. Maybe your representative would be a better description. The moral to that story is don't bitch about a 100 plug change no matter how fast I can do it. And if you want Denso Iridium plugs they are expensive, not that I remember that or hold a grudge or anything silly like that:tu: The only person more forgiving than me is invisible:D

my2002lightning
09-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Adam,

If you're serious about Glock, you might go to http://www.glocktalk.com (http://www.glocktalk.com/). I'd suggest you go shoot a Glock if you haven't already. Personally, I've shot the 17 (9mm) and 21 (.45) and just don't care for the overall feel and trigger-pull. I tended to like the Beretta 92FS and Sig Sauer P226, myself.

Any particular reason for the 9mm? Not knocking the 9mm, but if you're looking for arguably better overall stopping power, you might look at the .40 and .45. As far as makes, you can't go wrong with the big-names like Glock, Para Ordnance, Beretta, H&K, Springfield, Sig Sauer, Kimber for quality, IMO.

Too, if you're looking for a high-capacity .45, you've got Glock, Para Ordnance, H&K and Kimber.

Ronald

David N
09-05-2007, 12:39 AM
I just bought a 9mm and went with Glock 19...i can tell you that stay away from Taurus... my first choice was Springfield XD9 but the gun store i was dealing with didn't have on in stock...

I shot Doug Beretta 92f last night and it was a great gun to shot...just a little too big to carry..

If you want to save some money Wait till this weekend since the Ft.worth gun show is going on.. you can pick up a new G19 For $445..

dboat
09-05-2007, 03:47 AM
I just bought a 9mm and went with Glock 19...i can tell you that stay away from Taurus... my first choice was Springfield XD9 but the gun store i was dealing with didn't have on in stock...

I shot Doug Beretta 92f last night and it was a great gun to shot...just a little too big to carry..

If you want to save some money Wait till this weekend since the Ft.worth gun show is going on.. you can pick up a new G19 For $445..

why stay away from Taurus?

L8 APEX
09-05-2007, 03:50 AM
because he said so:icon_eek:

I like the 9mm for size and capacity. In the same frame it holds two more rounds than a 40cal. With the modern +p ammo it gets very close to 40 cal ballistics. Plus you tend to hit better and faster with less recoil. Plus they are a LOT cheaper to feed for fun.

dboat
09-05-2007, 06:10 AM
because he said so:icon_eek:

Like we would listen to you... :icon_razz:

Silver_2000
09-05-2007, 09:04 AM

David had a bad experience

As long as your gun is magazine optional than his Taurus would be fine

Taurus is known for making cheap knockoffs of other guns

They really hit the market by making a clone of the Baretta 92f - they have branched out since then - If you saw the problems David had with the 40 cal Taurus that he had you would understand

Doug

wesman
09-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Adam,

If you're serious about Glock, you might go to http://www.glocktalk.com (http://www.glocktalk.com/). I'd suggest you go shoot a Glock if you haven't already. Personally, I've shot the 17 (9mm) and 21 (.45) and just don't care for the overall feel and trigger-pull. I tended to like the Beretta 92FS and Sig Sauer P226, myself.

Any particular reason for the 9mm? Not knocking the 9mm, but if you're looking for arguably better overall stopping power, you might look at the .40 and .45. As far as makes, you can't go wrong with the big-names like Glock, Para Ordnance, Beretta, H&K, Springfield, Sig Sauer, Kimber for quality, IMO.

Too, if you're looking for a high-capacity .45, you've got Glock, Para Ordnance, H&K and Kimber.

Ronald

Adam,

I've got a Glock 30 for my carry weapon. It's a sub-compact, so it's a little loud, but other than that I love shooting it.

Ask Jeff about it, I think his ears are still ringing.:evil:evil

--wes

L8 APEX
09-05-2007, 03:11 PM
All of the Glocks are too large for easy practical daily CHL. Unless you are a fatty, there... The Kahr PM9 and CW9 are the best for size and power. Full 9mm in a sub 380 frame. half the weight and half the size of Glocks.

Silver_2000
09-05-2007, 05:09 PM
All of the Glocks are too large for easy practical daily CHL. Unless you are a fatty, there... The Kahr PM9 and CW9 are the best for size and power. Full 9mm in a sub 380 frame. half the weight and half the size of Glocks.

Its not your fault you have girly hands ...

02REDSVT
09-05-2007, 08:17 PM
I had a Glock 23 40cal. Liked it but sold it. I think it was a perfect gun because it was not to big or small to carry. Now I have a STEYR S40 this gun is almost the same size as the Glock 23. My other one is the EAA Witness 40cal. Poly Compact. And my Bersa 9mm Ultra Compact.

dboat
09-05-2007, 08:45 PM
David had a bad experience

As long as your gun is magazine optional than his Taurus would be fine

Taurus is known for making cheap knockoffs of other guns

They really hit the market by making a clone of the Baretta 92f - they have branched out since then - If you saw the problems David had with the 40 cal Taurus that he had you would understand

Doug

ARgh.. I have a Taurus revolver on order right now.. it better be nice.. at least they look nice in the cabinet at the store.. :tex

Dana

Alpine
09-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Adam,

I've got a Glock 30 for my carry weapon. It's a sub-compact, so it's a little loud, but other than that I love shooting it.

Ask Jeff about it, I think his ears are still ringing.:evil:evil

--wes
What??? http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/226418.gif (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5217&ppuser=226) <---- Wes and his damn hand cannon!

StormShadow
09-06-2007, 06:22 AM
I went ahead and bought the G19 and now i'm looking for a lazer for it. Anyone have experience with lazermax?

Silver_2000
09-06-2007, 08:02 AM
There is a large glock accessories retailer in Carrollton

http://www.bigstatedist.com/

I cant say that they will give you a smoking deal but the selection and knowledge is high

gagspa
09-06-2007, 10:46 AM
ARgh.. I have a Taurus revolver on order right now.. it better be nice.. at least they look nice in the cabinet at the store.. :tex

Dana
I was always under the impression that Taurus made a good revolver, but that the semi-autos were not as good.

Even then I still have my eyes on one of their millenniums.

David N
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
There is a large glock accessories retailer in Carrollton

http://www.bigstatedist.com/

I cant say that they will give you a smoking deal but the selection and knowledge is high

i just my G19 lazer,nightsight ,tactical light and clips from big state... ask for paul..tell Him i sent you..

The stuff is not cheap... he will put everything on for right there,,,,,

Or you can get your stuff from him at the ft.worth gun show..

L8 APEX
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Its not your fault you have girly hands ...
It is not the hands it is the lack of 6'4" 250lbs to hide a 7" long hand cannon with.
Here is a comparison of a Kahr over a Glock there is a very significant difference when you are trying to conceal under street clothes.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG0127.JPG
The Glock is also 3 tenths of an inch wider.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG0129.JPG
It comes down to all day comfort and convenience. You can own all the big guns you want but they do you no good when they are left at home, in a car, or even a breif case...

TXLIGHTNING
09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Is that Glock a sub compact? It looks huge compared to the other one.

L8 APEX
09-06-2007, 04:44 PM
It is a full size G.

Ohmsby
09-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I carry a Glock 36 from time to time and its small not so much fun to fire as the frame around it does little to compensate

Silver_2000
09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I almost never carry and dont yet have a CHL - my gun of choice is my berretta.
It is accurate as can be, it points and shoots naturally and is very reliable.

According to Terry Im a Fatty but my hands are way to big for that subcompact. Id be lucky to wrap 2 fingers around it .....

Its also not a fair comparison of a full frame gun against the subcompact

Ill likley buy a glock or 2 this weekend for fun

L8 APEX
09-06-2007, 05:22 PM
If you don't have a preferred dealer buy from Jeff Schramm. He is my favorite class 3 dealer:tu:. A former SWAT officer turned me onto the Kahr it was what he carried off duty. I know a few others that carry them as well. It is the professionals choice:cool:. The Khar is not subcompact it has a longer grip than the Sub compact glocks. I shot 3 ducks with my old Beretta I love them too but I haven't shot one since I got hooked on Glocks. My G20 10mm was my favorite.

wesman
09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm neither 6' 4" nor 250 lbs, but I carry the G30. The 36 would be a better choice as it's slimmer, but overall it's not that hard to conceal with the right holster.

I have extended grips on my clips and it fits just right for me. I have one factory grip and I notice my pinky slipping under from time to time or after several consecutive trigger pulls.

I like Terry's little gun, very small and will do the job.....but dammit, bigger is better :)

Chris94L
09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
It is not the hands it is the lack of 6'4" 250lbs to hide a 7" long hand cannon with.
Here is a comparison of a Kahr over a Glock there is a very significant difference when you are trying to conceal under street clothes.
The Glock is also 3 tenths of an inch wider.

It comes down to all day comfort and convenience. You can own all the big guns you want but they do you no good when they are left at home, in a car, or even a breif case...

Thats not a fair comparison at all Terry. Put it next to a Glock Subcompact instead of a fullsize.

Ohmsby
09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I do have the S&W 500 W four inch barrel kind of hard to carry but a lot of fun to shoot

L8 APEX
09-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Thats not a fair comparison at all Terry. Put it next to a Glock Subcompact instead of a fullsize.
It still lacks by a lot. more than you think...

tiffo60
09-07-2007, 08:15 AM
I do have the S&W 500 W four inch barrel kind of hard to carry but a lot of fun to shoot

sounds like a two handed bundle of joy:icon_mrgreen:

Ohmsby
09-07-2007, 09:25 AM
you don't have to be a good shot just close enough to catch em on fire with the mussel flash:cool: