PDA

View Full Version : Who knew......150 mph+

DWSmooth
12-14-2002, 02:18 AM
Well it finally happened…………..top speed approached.

I was on my home on GB Tollway when a Nissan Z car wanted to test the beast. We where in traffic so I declined to run, but after the I-75 overpass it opened up and it was on…………. He jumped from behind me and passed me without much effort on my part, then I noticed it was clear as far as I could see. It was time to purse…… I caught him and noticed a Air/Fuel gauge on the A pillar going from amber to red and then noticed a green light come on and the Acura Type R took off, it was time for Lightning!!

He jumped to a 150-200 yard lead before I decided to hammer down and real him in. I locked out the overdrive and hammered down, before I knew it I was running 5500 RPM and catching the Acura quickly. Then I let the trany shift into overdrive and the speed continued to build quickly, I watched as the speedometer passed 140 mph and the RPMs were still climbing and the beast was making all kinds of staining noises.

When I stopped next to the Acura at a stop light he was overcome by how fast the L was! He said he hit the nitrous at 120 mph and thought he would loose me, but to his surprise (and mine) he said he was doing 150 mph and I was catching extremely quickly.

Guess it’s time for a 200 mph speed-O. I must say I was very surprised on how fast the L was tonight…………..

DAVID!

Red2002
12-14-2002, 08:26 AM
Nice kill! I too have cleared 150+ and it was a handful even with a lowered suspension.

A friend of mine with a 96 Ram Air T/A (LT1) decided to test the Lightning. LT1's aren't LS1's says I, but he pays no mind.

I give him the jump at 80mph and off he goes. I quickly follow suit and reel him in like a large mouth bass. The speeds are climbing and the truck is pulling hard. 120mph......130mph......140mph. He has his T/A pegged at 155mph as the Lightning goes inching by him. He couldn't believe his eyes, getting passed by a brick at 155mph! Neither one of us had a GPS so the exact speed remains a mystery. These trucks will flat out move up top, even though it may take us a lil' longer to get there.

Fun, but scaaaaaarrrrrryyy.

Wht95Lightning
12-14-2002, 09:20 AM
I am confused, was it a 350z or an Acura? Or were there two cars?

BTW, you can call me a stick in the mud but 150+ on public roads is totally unacceptable..:nono:

It doesn't matter if you don't see any other cars because at that speed things appear suddenly. I like a good run as much as anybody but there is a place for that and it's called the track.

This website should help reinforce my point.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/

98Cobra
12-14-2002, 10:23 AM
While I agree that those speeds don't belong on public roads, if I were on the GWB late at night and there were no cars out there, I might do the same thing if I wasn't afraid the motor would let go. I figure as long as you aren't near anybody else then go nuts. And while I agree that on most roads people can appear from nowhere, I would have to disagree regarding the GWB. There ain't nothing there...

wesman
12-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Wht95Lightning
I am confused, was it a 350z or an Acura? Or were there two cars?

Same question I'm wondering. As much as I love the L, it's not a match for most sports cars up top. I don't consider my L a dog and I can assure you my stock 350Z will take it on the top end.

The story doesn't make any sense at all.....what mods do you have ? Cause if your stock or even close I gotta raise the flag :bs , no way to pull on a 300hp car that weighs 1k pounds less and is aerodynamically superior in a ruck that only has 60-80hp advantage.

--wes

jcblack
12-14-2002, 01:45 PM
I dont care if it was a 350z or acura, if you say that you pulled them, then i belive you. I think that it is better to give a person props for a kill then to tell them that they are bull ****ting. Ever truck runs different than the next.

wesman
12-14-2002, 02:11 PM
I give someone their props when they deserve it, he may have pulled away from an Acura. But he started the story off with a Z car, then it went to an Acura...just trying to get the facts straight.

As far as it outrunning a 350Z on the top end...I'll welcome that challenge from any mildly modded L on this board...race from 100-160....I've got money on the 350 :)

--wes

98Cobra
12-14-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by jcblack
I dont care if it was a 350z or acura, if you say that you pulled them, then i belive you. I think that it is better to give a person props for a kill then to tell them that they are bull ****ting. Ever truck runs different than the next.

In that case, did I mention I raced an F-16 the other day? He was egging me on flying over head as I drove down 635, so finally I let him have it. He had me back a length at first, but after it downshifted, I owned him.

:d

jcblack
12-14-2002, 07:56 PM
i think that you knew what i meant f-16 boy. thanks for your comment though

Lil Nicky88
12-16-2002, 05:37 AM
I believe him.

My wifes old 01 GT used to seem like it was faster than my L too, but we all know that's not true... :cool:

but her sc281 is a ...little... faster than my truck... :mad:

Winterhawk
12-16-2002, 11:27 AM
the 350Z is not a 300hp car, the new Car and Driver mag. has it listed at 287hp. But I"m sure its fast. A race from 100 to 160 good luck finding a safe place and time to do that.:burnout:

wesman
12-16-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Winterhawk
the 350Z is not a 300hp car, the new Car and Driver mag. has it listed at 287hp. But I"m sure its fast. A race from 100 to 160 good luck finding a safe place and time to do that.:burnout:

Yeah. I'm familiar with them...there's one in the driveway :)

I was referring to Zcar....not sure if he meant a 350Z or a 300ZX...either way...top end a relatively stock L is in for some trouble.

It's actually very easy to go from 100-160 in the Z...only takes a few seconds....maybe my L is jsut slower than everyone elses on the top end :confused:

I'll get DamonH to run me in his somewhat stock '01 from a 100 punch and we'll see who gets to 160 first :)

--wes

Winterhawk
12-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Wes, thats a beautiful car, Just at a stop it looks like its going 160mph. My wife is talking about getting one.:eek2: Be safe doing that hi speed run, We don't want to read about it, in the news.:confused: :confused:

Moonshine
12-16-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 98Cobra
And while I agree that on most roads people can appear from nowhere, I would have to disagree regarding the GWB. There ain't nothing there...

....except the drunk who decided to stop in a lane of traffic, turn off all his lights, and take a little nappy, or a king size box spring, or a dumster lid, or a boat (no trailer), or an 18 wheeler wheel and tire, or grocery carts, or roll-a-way tool boxes, or any of the other weird ass stuff I have seen lying in a lane of traffic on an interstate highway in the middle of the night.

Garett, don't take this wrong. I'm not flaming or making judgements about what you do. It's just that I've seen enough stuff mysteriously appear out of the darkness, stuff that had no business being on a highway, stuff that would seriously ruin your day if it suddenly appeared in front of you at 130+, that I've become too scared to try top speed tuns on a public road.

Wht95Lightning
12-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Amen to that.

DamonH
12-17-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by wesman
I'll get DamonH to run me in his somewhat stock '01 from a 100 punch and we'll see who gets to 160 first :)

--wes

I'm still stuck on the 160mph part ... cause I have doubts my truck will even make 150 without a 10 mile downhill stretch. :eek: Secondly ... the original poster being confused on what he raced makes me lean towards the :bs side on this one.

Red2002
12-17-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by DamonH
I'm still stuck on the 160mph part ... cause I have doubts my truck will even make 150 without a 10 mile downhill stretch. :eek: Secondly ... the original poster being confused on what he raced makes me lean towards the :bs side on this one.

What suprises me more is the fact that someone still has an unmodified Lightning! :eek2: DamonH you are a stronger man than I.

Wes lives over by a friend of mine (Internet deprived) who's usually got two or three Lightnings sitting in the driveway. We saw Wes drive around the corner in the Z and thought about giving chase, but I was more hoping that he'd stop and shoot the breeze. Maybe he didn't see us. Wes you're the next contestant on Lightning Row, "Come on down!".

Alright that was gay.

wesman
12-17-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Red2002
What suprises me more is the fact that someone still has an unmodified Lightning! :eek2: DamonH you are a stronger man than I.

Wes lives over by a friend of mine (Internet deprived) who's usually got two or three Lightnings sitting in the driveway. We saw Wes drive around the corner in the Z and thought about giving chase, but I was more hoping that he'd stop and shoot the breeze. Maybe he didn't see us. Wes you're the next contestant on Lightning Row, "Come on down!".

Alright that was gay.

Didn't see you guys. I would have stopped.

Where's he live ? I think we should have a few over to my house and compare how mine doesn't work, and then throw some heads on it and make it work again :d

--wes

Red2002
12-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by wesman
Didn't see you guys. I would have stopped.

Where's he live ? I think we should have a few over to my house and compare how mine doesn't work, and then throw some heads on it and make it work again :d

--wes

Pm'ing you the info to protect....yadda yadda.

DamonH
12-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Red2002

Heh ... not TOTALLY stock. :p Silver Bullet exhaust and AFM Powerpipe/filter. I'm not stronger, just probably more broke. I've got too many vehicles to modify (and break it seems :() so the L has to stay running until something else becomes stable enough to be reliable. heh