PDA

View Full Version : Pondering selling the L

Crawford
12-16-2002, 02:01 AM
I have been giving serious thought to selling the Lightning. The monthly payments are keeping me from reaching my financial goals within an acceptable timeframe. Since I can't see myself Lightningless I am thinking about stepping down to a nice Gen 1, that way I could still be a Lightning owner and cut my payments significantly plus Gen1s are sweet.

I took the L to CarMax for an estimate and they offered $23,3XX which is not acceptable at all. The truck is an 01 w/ 22k miles very good condition. I just dread trying to sell the truck outright, it can be such a hastle. I would need to get $25,000 in order to make payoff. I have seen similar trucks asking around 26,500 to 27,500. What do you guys think? Should I keep it and just eat rocks and dirt or should I attempt a move? I would appreciate opinions on the subject. :)

L8 APEX
12-16-2002, 09:01 AM
I say trade it in on a SVT Focus, cheap, double the milage, cheaper upkeep, and fun as heck to drive:tu: From what I have seen you spend about the same $$ on whatever you drive. As soon as the paymennts go down maintanance or mod $$ go up. I think any G1 you find will take an initial investment to make daily driver dependable, probably paint. The way the market is you will eat shoe for getting rid of your L. Everyone lately is still sitting on there's. When the 03's are out it will get worse. Sell off your mods and take the Carmax offer there is your 25K for payoff. If you have new tires sell and swap another L owner there is another 500+ bucks, trade off other misc. 01 pieces others would like for $$ brake light swap $50, lights $250 (they may not notice), newer seat than what they have $100, etc.. There is nothing like a new vehicle. The supercharger withdrawals can be extreme:crying: Let me know if you wannt to do that. I always have customers looking for 01 parts or cleaner interior peices etc..

MadNess
12-16-2002, 09:48 AM
DONT DO IT! :(

However, if you really must, I COMPLETELY Agree with L8, he has the plan on how to get all the money you need. If seen an SVT focus on an autocross video, looked pretty sweet., actually handled the track VERY nicely :)

George G.
12-16-2002, 10:08 AM
Well, that sucks to be in that predicament. I CAN say that reaching your financial goals is way more important...though I'm sure you knew that. I once said to my wife, after getting the G1, that when I get ready for a new truck....it's gonna have to be a Lightning. I couldn't possible down grade! I guess the same rule can apply for staying with any SVT vehicle although something about a grown man hot rodding in a Focus....:nono: next to that would be a Contour...(no offense Dennis).

Like Terry said, almost any G1 you get will need maintenance but..

1) it's easy to work on yourself,
2) it's a helluva lot cheaper,
3) it can be easily paid off! That's the best part! NO CAR PAYMENT!:d

I've had my truck since Nov. 2001 and have spent less than $1200 on major maintenance(within the first year). That includes..
Goodyear Tires 340
Brakes 250
KYB Shocks 120
Poly bushings 60
Moog Ball joints & tie rod assembly 400
Bassani X-pipe 150

That's an average of 3 car payments in...what ever you get, good luck with it.

wesman
12-16-2002, 10:09 AM
I agree with Terry....take their offer but swap out some stuff for stock parts + cash...you'll exceed the 25k you want easily.

--wes

George G.
12-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Crawford
...I am thinking about stepping down to a nice Gen 1, that way...

Stepping DOWN?:mad: I like to call it a lateral move since you'll be in something far more rare than G2's, looks cooler than G2's...are ya'll buying this?

By the way, there's a guy in Plano that's selling one for pretty cheap.

Ivanhoe_Farms
12-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Gen 1s are Kool:nana2 :nana2

98Cobra
12-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Hmmm. Well, you'll still have a car payment either way. If you manage to get out of your truck for payoff, you'll still need a loan for a 93-95 Lightning. Now, assuming it is a 95, you are still asking a bank to loan you $10k(or more, if it is nice) on a vehicle that is a minimum of 7-8 years old. They'll do it, but you'll probably pay 9.5% or higher, depending.

And then there will be the hunger spend money to mod _that_, because not only are supercharger withdrawls extreme, but in stock trim you will get tired of having you ass handed to you all the time on the street.

At the same time, you will give up any warranty, you will get no rental or loaner car if yours goes down...

Now, what Terry said about the SVT Focus is cool, because not only are they a lot cheaper and still fun to drive, you can get 0.0% for 60 months right now. Your payment would drop a lot, you would have a NEW vehicle with a NEW warranty, and it would still be pretty rare. And you could always get another Lightning when you have achieved your financial goals.

Winterhawk
12-16-2002, 11:50 AM
Crawford, I went to my banker, and talked to him about refinanceing my truck, I'v got a good relationship with the, and they were glade to do it. for me there was no down payment required, and it lowered my payment by a $ 125. with out adding time to the pay off. Good luke, hope you find a way to keepf it. Winterhawk ( Mike )

George G.
12-16-2002, 11:57 AM
The one in Plano is asking $6400.00. You'd have that paid off in about 7 months if you did get a loan.

I don't know if you do your own mechanical work or not, but If you need a warranty and/or rental, then yeah, get the Focus. I'm more of a FMOS kinda guy and have access to the wife's Rodeo should my truck be down.

Crawford
12-16-2002, 12:08 PM
SVT Focus is out, I am with George on this one.

I already have a loan setup for a Gen 1 @ 4.75%.

I am walking a fine line on the warranty thing as it is so having a Gen 1 wouldnt be much of a change really. I have a 'loaner' if I need one and am friends with a good mechanic.

Blower whine, street racing, mods... not too concerned with these. I can live without a blower if my payments are cut in half. I have only been in a handful of street races with my G2 and most of those I could have won in a G1 anyway. No matter what I get I will be modding it so there is no escaping that one.

L8 APEX
12-16-2002, 12:21 PM
I think it should be said that poor people drive new cars because they cannot afford old ones.. Interest is higher and term is shorter, no warrantied repairs can sting. Sixer said that one in Plano was rough. I hate body work especially on black vehicles. A good paint job is not 500 bucks either.. Body work plus a nice 2 part paint could run 3K conservatively, check with Logan's dude. My friend that bought the SVT Focus had to get it because his 85 4wd Suburban broke again 3rd time in a month. He just started a new contract IT job and called in all three times because of mechanical trouble power steering pump, water pump, transfer case. Not having the $$ to fix the Suburban and needing something he could gas and go not call into the new job again etc.. I picked him up on I-30 where he broke down, took him to the dealer hooked him up on a loaded SVT Focus, ext warranty, 60 months 430 a month, minimum down. He had bad credit so it was over 10% but he plans to make a years payments fix his credit then refinance to 5.9 or so. You make a car payment one way or another it just depends if you want to work on it or drive it. Sell off some parts and swap some things and pick up a 99-00 for $5-7K less and finance it for a longer term? Ford is doing a lot of 0% for 60 and such..

Red2002
12-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sure it must be difficult if you are anywhere near attached to your truck as I am to mine.

Rob's dad came up to Ennis this past Saturday with his 31K-mile red '93 Gen 1. It ran a 15.01@ 90.4. Except for the K&N, it was bone stock and probably one of the cleanest examples of a '93 left in existence. Simply immaculate and a gorgeous truck.....

...but painfully slow. :) My Taurus SHO ran a 14.88 @ 95.1 with a 2.29 60ft.

Just givin' ya a hard time Sam, but I agree with ya. Street racing, blower whine, etc. means very little if you're struggling to make the truck payments like me. :( It's been 'suggested' that I put a For Sale sign in my truck as well.

Silver_2000
12-16-2002, 12:32 PM
430 a month for a focus ....:eek2: :eek2:

Red2002
12-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
430 a month for a focus ....:eek2: :eek2:

That does seem a little high. Maybe he only put the TT&L down....:confused: And for 5 years no less!

I bought my Lightning on A-plan ($27,898), put nothing down, and got 48 months at 2.9%. Monthly payment is $722.28.

I'm about to take up residence underneath the lid in a Wal-Mart parking lot somewhere.

L8 APEX
12-16-2002, 12:45 PM
I think so onn the 430 it was only 1000 down and 20K plus financed. Hell 20K for 5 years is 400 a month before interest right? Payments are high as hell if you put nothing down, just like Laurence he got one at cost and it is still over 700 a month. I put 12K down and still pay 530 a month for 60. These mofo's be expensive if you don't have the cash down! They quoted me like 800 a month for 32,520 or sticker plus TT&L for 60 @ 8% interest. I knnow some z06 and Viper guys paying 1000-1500 a month:eek2: Of course they are just keeping their cash on hand with low interest and building credit.

Wht95Lightning
12-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Red2002
That does seem a little high. Maybe he only put the TT&L down....:confused: And for 5 years no less!

I bought my Lightning on A-plan ($27,898), put nothing down, and got 48 months at 2.9%. Monthly payment is $722.28.

I'm about to take up residence underneath the lid in a Wal-Mart parking lot somewhere.

$722 a month?!?!?!?! Holy Guacamole! I cannot fathom having a note like that. Especially the way the market is now. :eek2:

Red2002
12-16-2002, 12:52 PM
I didn't expect the Focus to be over $20K, but also I misread and now see that he had purchased the extended warranty. Great car for the price. I'd drive one. :)

One of my distant relatives in Colorado has a 2001 MB CL600. With $35,000 down, the payment is $2240 a month for 60 months! :eek: Why, I ask. :confused:

L8 APEX
12-16-2002, 01:01 PM
The sticker was 18,600 or so with sunroof and audiofile options. Got it for invoice at 17.8xx there is only 1000 bucks in the MSRP, no holdback since it was a dealer trade, dealer cost on the premium care ext 100K/60 warranty was 1100 or so TT&L was another 1500? so it adds up... He got everything at cost or invoice. Cars cost $$$ still cheaper than being married though:twitch:

Red2002
12-16-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
Cars cost $$$ still cheaper than being married though:twitch:

Quite possibly, but I would think being single costs more money. I gots lots of ho's to buy dinners and drinks fo.

Drinks cost $$ and rohypnol aint cheap either. Just kidding, that was in poor taste.

:)

Wht95Lightning
12-16-2002, 01:08 PM
My nanner just commited suicide...

Red2002
12-16-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Wht95Lightning
My nanner just commited suicide...

I agree. It's a beautiful car, but a house with the same payment would be even nicer IMO.

If you've got the flow, then more power to you. But I don't, so I have no power....

L8 APEX
12-16-2002, 01:20 PM
You have to figure long term costs, you pay more just so you can get rid of them when you are bored. In 5 years the truck is paid off, in 5 years the payments on women goes up and the return diminishes:D I heard a guy say one time about hookers I'm not paying for the sex, I'm paying them to leave afterwards.

Red2002
12-16-2002, 01:26 PM
I heard a guy say one time about hookers I'm not paying for the sex, I'm paying them to leave afterwards.

Was this 'guy' you? :D

Check it, yo.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1855-2588-42164.jpg

This thread has now officially gone to hell. Sorry Sam.

L8 APEX
12-16-2002, 01:32 PM
No but it was a corrupt TALON member;)

Red2002
12-16-2002, 01:36 PM
No but it was a corrupt TALON member;)

Do tell. Who is this despoiler of humanity?!

...and where does he hang out? :)

Sam, keep the truck and we can starve together!

J.D. Blackwell
12-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Why don't you find a '99 Gen 2.
I have seen 3 lately between $17,500 and $19,000 with fairly low miles. If you can get your truck payed off and buy a '99 that will get you out of about $6,000-$7,500 there and would still have a Gen 2.

Just think about it.

L8 APEX
12-16-2002, 01:53 PM
You don't have enough kids or gray hair for a Gen1. Where is that ducking smilie, HELP!

J.D. Blackwell
12-16-2002, 01:59 PM
OR This guy wants to trade for a Gen 2.

Headline: 1994 Red Lightning 14494
I have decided it is time to move to a Gen2. I have a '94 with 100,XXX miles in excellent condition. I am the second owner and I bought the truck just over 4 years ago with 23,XXX. I am looking to get $6000 obo out of the '94. Please email me for information, I would like to sell it within the week, so I am taking offers.
Thanks! Brent

click for fullsize image
Listed By:
Brent Baker
Cromwell, IN USA
260-856-3168
Click Here To Reply By Email View all classifieds from this user
Posted on: 11/28/2002
Expires On: 12/28/2002

Moonshine
12-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Sam, it kind of depends on where you started from. If you had some equity in the L. when you bought it, I'd suggest you sit tight and stay with it, at least until the market improves. If you didn't put any equity in, then you can part it out and trade and break even, and get into another vehicle for less monthly expense. Of the two possibilities that have been mentioned I'd suggest the Focus due to the 0% APR, but if you can get 4.75% on a Gen 1, that's still pretty cheap $$. Whatever you decide, good luck. :tu:

MadNess
12-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Heck 720 is not that bad... back in August 01, I purchased (for my wife) the 2001 Lightning I currently drive :D I gave 35,300 out the door financed... I put 0 down, got ESP, and a few other small dealer things, my payments are 742 for 60 months.

I hope to have this beast paid for in a year, maybe 2, then Ill get a new toy and leave this one for the strip :)

Mark #2
12-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Crawford,
You know my opinion already, but if you do get rid of the L please stop by the house and swap wheels and tires first. :)

George G.
12-16-2002, 04:11 PM
You don't have enough kids or gray hair for a Gen1. Where is that ducking smilie, HELP!

And WHAT is this suppose to imply?

Driving a Focus is like doing a fat chic...They get the job done, but you don't go bragging about it? In addition to that, how can anyone pull into the Home Depot parking lot and get outta the Focus with dignity and their head held up high walking into the store? It just don't happen!

George G.
12-16-2002, 04:17 PM
:D I heard a guy say one time about hookers I'm not paying for the sex, I'm paying them to leave afterwards.

I wonder if this would hold up in court?

Logan
12-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Alright... I'll wade into this one... Since I actually own a Silver SVT Focus now too... Couldn't resist. $13995 with 72 miles on it, moonroof and Audiophile system included.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/data/500/1dsc00373-640-med.jpg

George, you're right, Focus is definately not home depot material... :)

They're not fast, they're quick, but not fast and the fit/finish on some of the interior roof components is crappy, but other than that, it handles like a 'sum biatch and brakes are incredibly strong.

Now the question is where to put all the damned cars... Marauder, 69 Cougar, SVT Focus, Villager... Dammit. Something's gotta go. Not sure what yet, but something has got to go. Unfortunately, the wife likes her minivan so that has to stay. Marauder or Cougar, don't know yet...Cougar is paid for though... Hmmm...

Red2002
12-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Alright... I'll wade into this one... Since I actually own a Silver SVT Focus now too... Couldn't resist. $13995 with 72 miles on it, moonroof and Audiophile system included.

Sweet Logan! Was it previously titled? How'd you swing it for 14k?!

I love those cars!

Sixpipes
12-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Sam

I would do the 93-95 Lightning without a doubt. The SVT Focus is really a cool little car, but...........it is a Focus. GenIs are rare and one in good shape is even more rare. You've got to have a pick up in Texas and if you can get financing at less than 5%, its a no-brainer.

Tell you what I'll do. Find a Black Gen I in good shape and buy it. If you don't want to keep it after 18 months, I'll give you what you paid for it. :cool:

Wht95Lightning
12-16-2002, 09:23 PM

I have 1 kid and NO hair. So, :throw:

I could get a Gen2 and probably get into trouble with it BUT, my Gen1 has been so good to me I cannot think of a single reason to sell it. I love my truck!:d

T Hogg
12-16-2002, 09:25 PM
What do you mean down grade to a Gen 1. Man, those are fighting words. If I where you I would just buy a GXR 1300. Then you could kick all are a$$$ and let me ride it when your not.:D

No matter what you buy you'll aways be a part of this club. I don't care what Doug says.:tu:

BTW I have alot of extra parts, to get you started if you make that STEP UP to a Gen 1.

Wht95Lightning
12-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by T Hogg
What do you mean down grade to a Gen 1. Man, those are fighting words. If I where you I would just buy a GXR 1300. Then you could kick all are a$$$ and let me ride it when your not.:D

No matter what you buy you'll aways be a part of this club. I don't care what Doug says.:tu:

BTW I have alot of extra parts, to get you started if you make that STEP UP to a Gen 1.

Extra G1 parts? Whatcha got there?

George G.
12-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Wht95Lightning
Extra G1 parts? Whatcha got there?

That's what I'm saying!

Watcha got Terry? I may be interested in some go-fast goodies. I just put a Bassani X-pipe and need a little bite to go with my new bark!

Lemme know man!

George G.
12-17-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Logan

George, you're right, Focus is definately not home depot material... :)

They're not fast, they're quick, but not fast and the fit/finish on some of the interior roof components is crappy, but other than that, it handles like a 'sum biatch and brakes are incredibly strong.

Now the question is where to put all the damned cars... Marauder, 69 Cougar, SVT Focus, Villager... Dammit. Something's gotta go. Not sure what yet, but something has got to go. Unfortunately, the wife likes her minivan so that has to stay. Marauder or Cougar, don't know yet...Cougar is paid for though... Hmmm...

OK, I'll admit. They are kinda cool looking. I still wouldn't buy one, but then, I think the only thing less than 14G's would have to be something in the Kia auto line and of the two, I'd surely pick the Ford.

Logan
12-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Red2002, Never titled. Sold as used because it was hail damaged and paintless dent repaired, to which they did a fine job, can't even tell there was a problem. Mileage was to and from the PDR place...

I figured at $14k, can't go wrong for a daily driver which is why I bought it. Marauder's resale value is so bloody low I have to protect it by keeping the mileage low.

L8 APEX
12-17-2002, 04:09 PM
You see another one that cheap let me know. I may push the Vette outside and have a fleet of silver SVT's in the barn! i can put mini flames on her:d

Logan
12-17-2002, 04:12 PM
They had 3, I got the only one with a sunroof. The other two were gone the next day...

I can get em for $15879 on X-Plan with the $2500 rebate...

MadMax
12-18-2002, 02:21 AM
dadgummit Logan...I want one of those too...OLD MAN said he would KICK MY ASS if I sold the Lightning....so will have to wait.....

:hammer:

wesman
12-18-2002, 02:04 PM
Posted by greenstang:

2002 Silver SVT Focus 2100 miles,winter package,audoiphile,power moonroof and all the other toys$16200.

Crawford
12-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Well I am still weighing my options. I have found a nice 95L with 61,000 miles and a bunch of mods for a pretty good price. I am talking with the owner about a trade of some sort. We will see what happens with it. Now if I could just get Terry Hogg to call me back so I can talk to him about it I would be better off! Where are you Terry?

Dennis: Yes, its black. ;)

T Hogg
12-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Where are you? I called and got your voice mail. Whaz up with that?

Crawford
12-19-2002, 01:02 AM
Terry,
Just wanted to say thanks again for helping me out and giving me your advice on that one.
Thanks!

T Hogg
12-20-2002, 12:14 AM
Hey Crawford,

I know someone that may want to just take over the payments on your Lightning. Is that what your wanting to do? If so let me know the details on the truck and I'll let him know.

wesman
12-20-2002, 01:05 AM
What's your pay off ? I assume CarMax offered more than that ?

--wes

Crawford
12-21-2002, 01:54 PM
THogg: Not interested in letting someone take over payments. If they want to get their own financing and buy it outright they are more than welcome.

wesman: CarMax offered me quite a bit less than payoff. They are trying to get a steal from me. Thats not going to happen. They base their pricing off kellybluebook.com and they rated my truck in 'good' condition instead of 'excellent' condition and that reduced the quote by quite a bit. The guy that gave me the bid said that the truck is in 'excellent' condition but since they have to clean it anyway and check it over that costs money so they just rate it as 'good' which is just BS... my truck was cleaner than most of the vehicles on their lot!

I think after the holidays I am going to start posting it on the national forums and see if that gets me anywhere. Luckily I am in no hurry but I still think I am going to have to sell it eventually. I have my eyes on a couple of nice gen 1 trucks but I just dont know if the timing will be there for those when I sell mine... I will keep you guys posted!