PDA

View Full Version : NLOC Problems

projlightning
09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Some reputable members that have been on there for years have been banned. Just thought I'd let yall know....

http://delvallo.net/forum/showthread.php?t=670

Ohmsby
09-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Holy Chit I read all of those post all I can say is :popcorn

Silver_2000
09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
there are 3 sides to every internet story

If you intentionally and repeatedly violate rules and throw it in my face -- Ill ban you too..

99WhiteBeast
09-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Yep always more than one side to a story.....

projlightning
09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
there are 3 sides to every internet story

If you intentionally and repeatedly violate rules and throw it in my face -- Ill ban you too..

I just posted that so everyone would know where to find certain persons. I'm not choosing sides or saying who's right or wrong.

Ohmsby
09-24-2007, 10:04 AM
agreed 3 sides to every story his...hers.. and the truth. An interesting read:tex

gagspa
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
agreed 3 sides to every story his...hers.. and the truth. An interesting read:tex
I have only read the posted thread which is one side. What are the other two sides?

projlightning
09-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Look guys, I posted this so some of us could find certain people...

I don't want any drama started because of me or my thread...

Thanks
Rudy

tiffo60
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
personally i think its sad we have to watch our butts so closely on what we post, i never knew that the internet forums were so political:tex

BC Lightning
09-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I never knew NLOC had turned Inc.??

Silver_2000
09-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Whoa man, I just posted that so everyone would know where to find certain persons. I'm not choosing sides or saying who's right or wrong. All this went down while I was out of town. I didn't mean to "throw" anything in your face...

Re read what I posted ...

Its says IF YOU .... Meaning if anyone ....

Since you didnt violate any rules - its not directed at you ... ease up

projlightning
09-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Re read what I posted ...

Its says IF YOU .... Meaning if anyone ....

Since you didnt violate any rules - its not directed at you ... ease up

whew....well can you blame me...:o...ha ha...everything went out of control over there...

Silver_2000
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I can see some of the behind the scenes stuff at NLOC
one piece of the missing puzzle is that the guy that was banned was selling stuff under the table using the NLOC PM system. The linked website says that he was small time and only sells one part a year and cant afford the SV fees .. Well if he is only selling one part a year then how did he attract enough attention to get caught ?

In the end it costs money to keep up a website the size of NLOC. While other LIghtning forums have been fading NLOC is going strong. LOTS of traffic, lots of vendors etc - so they are doing something right. In order to make money you have to attract members and vendors - members and vendors BOTH expect there to be rules. When you break the rules there are consequences.

Add to the mix that Dwight has spent the last 2 weeks working about 22 hours a day to bring off Lfest 5 while at the same time worrying about his Wifes developing medical concern. In other words give him a BREAK...

PoorSvtman
09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
personally i think its sad we have to watch our butts so closely on what we post, i never knew that the internet forums were so political:tex

its always been like that over on nloc.... i chased LFP for 8 months for some parts to the pulley puller i had. Never returned any emails or phone calls, pms or anything. Saw him active in a thread so posted up in a thread others were asking for parts all posts got deleted and a very rude pm from bigD.

Got harrased and threatend to be baned on there when i first got my L and kept buying used parts off a guy in oklahoma that was getting changing things up...

99WhiteBeast
09-27-2007, 01:44 PM
I spent a few hours catching up on all that has gone on over there last night. It appears there were a few breaking some rules, they got banned or MU'd, then others came to their aid and bashing in sued. In turn others were banned.

It all has gotten out of hand. There are several admirable people stepping up to take control of things and let the 'dust settle'. IMO this is not the time to start wars but bond together as a community to help out.

I believe there will be some positive changes that come out of all this.

BigD has his own personal issues to deal with and there should be no bashing or personal attacks until he is able to defend himself.

98Cobra
09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I admittedly don't spend much time on NLOC. Its good to see another board retardedly deletes threads like LSXGTO.com. :nono:

projlightning
09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
He just banned/deleted someone who's been there for about 6-7 years. When he deleted that person, he also deleted all threads and posts by him which was very informative material (over 6,000 posts or more). I personally think he doesn't care about the GEN1 community since he doesn't own one. Honestly, it sux and it's sad how bitter that guy seems. It's his business and he'll do whatever he wants. :icon_neutral:

98Cobra
09-27-2007, 02:44 PM
So much for staying neutral eh? :)

FWIW, he should do a DB restore of the forums, and just ban the people he wants to ban. Or do a temp ban of some kind.

projlightning
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
So much for staying neutral eh? :)

FWIW, he should do a DB restore of the forums, and just ban the people he wants to ban. Or do a temp ban of some kind.

He can ban whomever he wants without deleting any of the useful info but I guess this certain guy really pissed him off and well he did it out of anger/frustration:confused:

03LightningRocks
09-27-2007, 04:16 PM
It always amused me when people think they can go into someone else's house and have some kind of right to say or do whatever they want.
I will say that when anyone comes to my house, they are required to abide by my rules. Otherwise...I will throw them out.
Nothing gives anyone the inherent right to free speech when on a sight owned and maintained by any individual. Looks to me like some much needed house cleaning is going on over there.

Silver_2000
09-27-2007, 04:46 PM
He just banned/deleted someone who's been there for about 6-7 years. When he deleted that person, he also deleted all threads and posts by him which was very informative material (over 6,000 posts or more). I personally think he doesn't care about the GEN1 community since he doesn't own one. Honestly, it sux and it's sad how bitter that guy seems. It's his business and he'll do whatever he wants. :icon_neutral:

Well lets see - A bunch of melodramatic children were intentionally and repeatedly breaking the rules - got caught and were disciplined - they started a whine fest and stirred up a whole pot of shit over nothing Repeatedly trying to push Dwights face in crap that was totally unrelated. - ended up getting banned and deleted - In the mean time Dwight was working about 20 hours a day to bring off Lfest, with out the usually amount of help of Nan since she is having some trouble with her memory, while in his spare time running his lovely wife to the hospitals and Drs to see how long she has left to live. ( They have been told approx 12 months ) As we speak she is under the knife getting her brain operated on. If it were me and you all treated me this way - I would have pulled the plug on the whole server and told you all to go **** yourselves - you selfish ignorant bastards

RANT OFF

projlightning
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Well lets see - A bunch of melodramatic children were intentionally and repeatedly breaking the rules - got caught and were disciplined - they started a whine fest and stirred up a whole pot of dookie over nothing Repeatedly trying to push Dwights face in crap that was totally unrelated. - ended up getting banned and deleted - In the mean time Dwight was working about 20 hours a day to bring off Lfest, with out the usually amount of help of Nan since she is having some trouble with her memory, while in his spare time running his lovely wife to the hospitals and Drs to see how long she has left to live. ( They have been told approx 12 months ) As we speak she is under the knife getting her brain operated on. If it were me and you all treated me this way - I would have pulled the plug on the whole server and told you all to go **** yourselves - you selfish ignorant bastards

RANT OFF

:tex

gagspa
09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
It always amused me when people think they can go into someone else's house and have some kind of right to say or do whatever they want.
I will say that when anyone comes to my house, they are required to abide by my rules. Otherwise...I will throw them out.
Nothing gives anyone the inherent right to free speech when on a sight owned and maintained by any individual. Looks to me like some much needed house cleaning is going on over there.
I'm not saying that these guys were right, but is it different if these guys pay admission to get into your house?

Many people are supporting members and feel like they have some stock in it. Granted, $30/year is nothing compared to what the moderators/administrators put in, but without their financial support the site probably wouldn't survive either.

On the flip side, you break the rules, you pay the price. That and these guys should consider what is going on in his personal life and cut him some slack.

Silver_2000
09-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm not saying that these guys were right, but is it different if these guys pay admission to get into your house?

Many people are supporting members and feel like they have some stock in it. Granted, $30/year is nothing compared to what the moderators/administrators put in, but without their financial support the site probably wouldn't survive either.

On the flip side, you break the rules, you pay the price. That and these guys should consider what is going on in his personal life and cut him some slack.

It makes no difference what you drive or if you paid or not or even who you are - what matters is do I think you knew you were violating the rules ? do i think you meant what you said ? if yes then click BOOM

They knew the rules - didnt agree with them and decided to go around them...

SILVER2000SVT
09-27-2007, 06:57 PM
I personally like Dwight. However, I did have to talk him out of banning me a few months ago just because I asked what happened to another member, I couldn't believe it. I think it's an extremely poor choice on his part to delete all the posts that someone had made (unless every one of those posts "broke rules"). Speaking business, those historical posts are what gives the site the majority of it's value. He caters 100% to the supporting vendors. There's been some occasions where the supporting vendors were childishly bashing other members. The result of that was the member getting banned and all their posts deleted. I know it's a business and that's his income but those supporting vendors wouldn't be there without the members.

03LightningRocks
09-27-2007, 08:52 PM

Snip

It does not make a difference if someone pays admission to my house. You know the rules when you agree to pay admission and you agree to abide by the rules. How does paying admission give you the right to run my house. Bullsh!t!!!! You pay admission to get into a concert, right? Try to make up a few rules of your own there and see what happens.

I was concerned 25 years ago when I watched more and more kids being raised by day care centers and TV sets. Where in the fock do people get off with this right of entitlement horse sh!t?

Like I said...paying admission only gives you access to my house...under MY terms and conditions. Just like NLOC and just like Talon. It does not give you a piece of the action. Your a renter...tenant..get it? Not an owner.

98Cobra
09-28-2007, 12:47 AM
I personally like Dwight. However, I did have to talk him out of banning me a few months ago just because I asked what happened to another member, I couldn't believe it. I think it's an extremely poor choice on his part to delete all the posts that someone had made (unless every one of those posts "broke rules"). Speaking business, those historical posts are what gives the site the majority of it's value. He caters 100% to the supporting vendors. There's been some occasions where the supporting vendors were childishly bashing other members. The result of that was the member getting banned and all their posts deleted. I know it's a business and that's his income but those supporting vendors wouldn't be there without the members.

QFT.

Doug, I think the main argument is not whether or not the "childish" people should have been banned - its the deletion that sucks, because that punishes EVERYONE. Ban all you want, but when you delete, you erase history that may be valuable in one way or another.

I should also say that, strictly speaking, if NLOC is going to be run like a business, it should go back to being .com, instead of .org. In the spirit of the original TLD intent. :D

Silver_2000
09-28-2007, 08:52 AM
QFT.

Doug, I think the main argument is not whether or not the "childish" people should have been banned - its the deletion that sucks, because that punishes EVERYONE. Ban all you want, but when you delete, you erase history that may be valuable in one way or another.

I should also say that, strictly speaking, if NLOC is going to be run like a business, it should go back to being .com, instead of .org. In the spirit of the original TLD intent. :D

The main domain is .net
The fact that he registered .org also has no bearing here.

originally for organizations not clearly falling within the other gTLDs, now unrestricted. .org was one of the original top-level domains, established in January 1985 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985), originally intended for use by organizations that did not meet the requirements for other gTLDs. Now anyone can register a .org domain. .org was the domain commonly recommended for use by individuals, although .name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.name) and .info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.info) are now alternatives. Political parties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party) in the US, such as the following, have domain names ending in .org
Im surprised that you think there is any alternative to running it like a business. The webhosting alone for a site of that size is runs approx 10k a year.
Im not sure why he deleted but as I have said OVER and OVER you dont know all the facts so please dont jump to conclusions.

98Cobra
09-28-2007, 10:03 AM
I know, I know - I wont jump to conclusions. I don't know the whole story. All I do know is that he made a mistake by deleting users (and therefore content) from the site.

projlightning
09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Well lets see - A bunch of melodramatic children were intentionally and repeatedly breaking the rules - got caught and were disciplined - they started a whine fest and stirred up a whole pot of dookie over nothing Repeatedly trying to push Dwights face in crap that was totally unrelated. - ended up getting banned and deleted - In the mean time Dwight was working about 20 hours a day to bring off Lfest, with out the usually amount of help of Nan since she is having some trouble with her memory, while in his spare time running his lovely wife to the hospitals and Drs to see how long she has left to live. ( They have been told approx 12 months ) As we speak she is under the knife getting her brain operated on. If it were me and you all treated me this way - I would have pulled the plug on the whole server and told you all to go **** yourselves - you selfish ignorant bastards

RANT OFF

What I don't understand, is why are people bringing up his personal problems as an excuse? This is not something that happened over night. It has been an ongoing issue for years. Seems like a friendly place but then sometimes it doesn't. In the HIDDEN FORUM he had no problem replying to others in the past.

Silver_2000
09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
What I don't understand, is why are people bringing up his personal problems as an excuse? This is not something that happened over night. It has been an ongoing issue for years. Seems like a friendly place but then sometimes it doesn't. In the HIDDEN FORUM he had no problem replying to others in the past.

Im lost - whats your point ? What hidden forum ? What part of follow the rules in my house or dont come over dont you get ? the idea that you think its somehow related to which truck he drives is laughable...

So what you are saying is that if your wife of many tears was suddenly diagnosed with terminal cancer that information would have zero impact on you ? Congratulations - you are a better man than me ...

Ohmsby
09-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Help me out I have read countless threads what exactly started this

Is it the non SV role someone played by selling Gen 1 parts UG, or is this the straw that broke it ?

Agreed I think that Nan's Health is certainly something that is weighing heavily on D's mind and should be a don't go there issue in this arena for those who are pissed at Dwight

projlightning
09-28-2007, 11:11 AM
So what you are saying is that if your wife of many tears was suddenly diagnosed with terminal cancer that information would have zero impact on you ?

I won't even bother answering that.....Again, that has nothing to do with an old problem.

It's terrible news, but why does it keep coming up? Bringing it up again and again is throwing it in his face. I personally wouldn't want everyone throwing my business out there.

His house...blah blah blah..I know... What pissed my off was all that info he deleted. I'm sure ALL the posts made by JaimeV weren't violating the rules

**There's a "hidden" forum that can't be seen by everyone not knowing where to look. I was emailed a link by a member from the NLOC to show me how this guy treated others. This was a couple months ago and I have it bookmarked but not on my work computer.

Congratulations - you are a better man than me ...:flaming:

Silver_2000
09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
**There's a "hidden" forum that can't be seen by everyone not knowing where to look. I was emailed a link by a member from the NLOC to show me how this guy treated others. This was a couple months ago and I have it bookmarked but not on my work computer.

:flaming:

There is no publicly accessible hidden forum. Id love to see the link ...

Having said that most forums have an ADMIN only section. and This forum for example has a section that is only viewable by supporting members

I won't even bother answering that.....Again, that has nothing to do with an old problem.

It's terrible news, but why does it keep coming up? Bringing it up again and again is throwing it in his face. I personally wouldn't want everyone throwing my business out there.

Nan and Dwight have posted about the issues, so its not private.

BC Lightning
09-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I joined NLOC back in early 2002 when I first bought my 02 L, I would read some of the threads on there, but never really posted on there because I honestly never have liked NLOC.

I have met Dwight and my prayers are with him and Nan as she is fightning for her life.

NLOC is Dwight's house, just like TALON is Doug's house. If it wasn't for all the hard work and dedication to TALON, SVTGalleries, SVTLightnings and all the other sites Doug helps out with then TALON wouldn't be one of the biggest Lightning forums on the net, or SVTGalleries wouldn't be on of the biggest Lightning photo galleries on the net. It took a lot to get NLOC as well as the Lightning community where it is today because of Dwight. He like most of us have been in the community longer than most who are complaining about it.

Although I don't agree with Dwight erasing the posts, but when you create a profile and click "I agree to the terms" you have agreed to his rules which apply to everyone. The Lightning community wouldn't be where it is without Dwight and his hard work over the years.

BC Lightning
09-28-2007, 09:56 PM
some more reading

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422555

Silver_2000
09-28-2007, 10:17 PM
some more reading

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422555

Its always amusing to read SVTP - the page views they get would easily generate $1500 a month from ads - yet the server has been hanging on by a thread for 5 years or more. Some one is either incompetent or is pocketing all the $$

Thanks for posting your view earlier -

FlaHP
09-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Yea the thread got a ton of, " thats why SVTP is so much better than NLOC".

I usually walk quiet but had to point out that SVTP would have banned well before for the same thing.

Be carefull about pointing out the slow server. I had to and the owner freaked :rolleyes:

99WhiteBeast
09-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I can hardly stand to visit over there (SVTP) its soooo slow. Its painful just to navigate

charlie
09-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I joined NLOC in 2002 .... I also joined Talon at the same time. (although I don't remember my original log in name.) I mainly went to NLOC because of the Gen 1 section, and the classified section. There was not that much info here on the Gen1. But I have since migrated over here when I got the 99.

I think one of the reasons people are a little frustrated is because back then every one was selling one offs, and no one seemed to care. I had a mod. PM me telling me about a guy in Calli. selling alm. 1 in intake spacers for my 93. And I bought a lot of stuff from members that made stuff the vendors did not. There did not seem to be a problem. The mod even told me as long as I keep-ed everything in Pm's and off the main forums it would be OK. And now it seems that has changed.

I personally do not go to NOLC any more because of. One, 100 % backing of the vendors. I personally like to know what vendors are slow @ shipping, and who has the better prices. (I'm a cheap S.O.B.) And I need to know how far in advance to buy the parts for the project.
And second. They changed the the classified section up. And for some reason, I just abosulity don't like it. And since that was about the only place on that sight I was going to, I just quit going.

As far as Dwight. I neither like or dislike him. I do not know him, and have never met him, how could I form an opinion? My prayers do go out to him and Nan. I truly hope everything works out (wishful thinking).

And as far as the rules..... LOL don't break them, and you wont get banned. It's that simple. If you do not agree with the house rules. Find another house to go to.

As far as posts being deleted.... I kinda have mixed feeling about that. Some of that stuff does not need to be left up. But the posts with good info on it about the trucks, I think those should still be there. And I know Dwight is going through some very tough times. So give him a break already. He is human. And we all make mistakes.
The biggest reason I went there was because of all the gen 1 info. And I would assume that is also the reason most others where there too. If the info and support of the gen 1 truck's are not there, then why would the people go there?

Charlie