PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow catback system

toddwarren
10-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I am looking for a Magnaflow Catbak system for a 2002 lightning!
Does anyone have one for sale?
The current pipes on the truck look somewhere between road hard and put up wet, and the Rams defense after Romo ran threw them twice in a row!!!:rll:

L8 APEX
10-03-2007, 02:01 PM
You don't want the MAgnaflow system it doesn't line up worth a flip. Tifton is supposed to have a buddy that can build one up like we use to. I haven't seen one myself yet. Otherwise I would just buy a Bassani they look and sound great.

toddwarren
10-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Terry I appreciate it! Bassani huh! You know that Wes was pushing
toward Magnaflow.
:icon_mrgreen:

L8 APEX
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Bassani is heavy and gets in the way of traciton bars. their stainless has a history of cracking. But it is a kit you can buy and install easily. Finding a good local shop that can make you a Magnaflow kit is a lot harder. I would either try Tifton's buddy Phil or Kenny's Muffler in HEB I think. They are super high priced but do good work. You want the 14468 muffler and 2- 3.5"x12" slash cut stainless or stainless chromed tips. Muffler is about 150 and tips are 20-40 depending on the source. I can send you pics of what it needs to look like.

projlightning
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I would either try Tifton's buddy Phil

Phil's Muffler Shop
3318 N Main St
Fort Worth, TX 76106

I think this is what you're talking about. Either way, this guy is GOOD:tu:

gagspa
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Just do like I did. Find a Mustang owner that ordered the SLP Loudmouth and decided it was too loud. Buy the mufflers off him for $60. Then pick up a Magnaflow X-pipe for $75 and pay a Spanish speaking muffler shop to put it all together for $25 (You'll need to be able to speak Spanish though). Then you have a unique sounding lightning :D

As far as I know I have the only SLP Lightning, you could be #2!

RSVT
10-03-2007, 07:35 PM
thats sounds like a good idea, how loud is your L?

Sandman
10-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Jimmy down at Medlins down in Duncanville just did mine a couple of months ago at a very reasonable price.

LTBaseball11
10-03-2007, 08:01 PM
well, its actually mine.... its not that loud... its completely stock all the way through... its kind of a birthday gift christmas present type thing:d

gagspa
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
thats sounds like a good idea, how loud is your L?
It's not nearly as loud as I expected, but still has a nice rumble, especially when under a load.

BC Lightning
10-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Jimmy down at Medlins down in Duncanville just did mine a couple of months ago at a very reasonable price.

Jimmy is no longer at the shop anymore, he is now "semi" retired, he is going to finish his house before he looks into wrenching again

BC Lightning
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I have Bassani's 3" full exhaust and it is the best sounding exhaust that is out there, hands down, with the bigger long tubes, bigger pipes and X-pipe built into the muffler, it sounds freaking sweet, only problem is the muffler is Bassani and it split right down the middle of the welds, nothing a muffler shop couldn't weld shut again

only problem is the price of Bassani, well and they split down the welds, you can buy a used 2.3 Kenne Bell with sheet metal intake for the cost of my exhaust system :cool:

toddwarren
10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Terry I would appreciate the pictures if it is not to much trouble!:bows
Thanks
Todd

TP Derrick D
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Jimmy did mine about 4 1/2 + years ago but since he's out of biz, I would use Kinney's @ 301 East Pipeline Rd. in Bedford. 817 282-3700 or www.kinneysmufflershop.com
My L's Magnaflow system has broken a baffle weld inside I believe because at idle in (D) it makes that rattling sound just as my Mustang did a few years back.
So Kinney's will do my L when I do it, he also did the Vette w/Magnaflow when I restored it a couple years ago.

gagspa
10-04-2007, 02:06 PM
My L's Magnaflow system has broken a baffle weld inside I believe because at idle in (D) it makes that rattling sound just as my Mustang did a few years back.
It might not be a broken baffle. I had the same problem on my L for a while. I know that the SLPs don't have baffles so I crawled up under the L and started banging on the pipe until I found out where the rattle was coming from. It was the clamp right under the transmission. It a clamps together both pipes. The rubber was getting hard and was causing the rattle (probably due to additional vibration from a louder muffler). I loosened the clamp a little bit and have not had any problem since.

FRDRCING
10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Got the magnaflow catback on my truck along with bassani high flow mids and its sounds great. I do miss the sound of Long Tubes and twin magnapacks.:evil

TP Derrick D
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
It might not be a broken baffle. I had the same problem on my L for a while. I know that the SLPs don't have baffles so I crawled up under the L and started banging on the pipe until I found out where the rattle was coming from. It was the clamp right under the transmission. It a clamps together both pipes. The rubber was getting hard and was causing the rattle (probably due to additional vibration from a louder muffler). I loosened the clamp a little bit and have not had any problem since.

OK,thanks for the info, I'm about to have Terry do some work to my truck maybe I'll have him check it out. It sure sounds like my Stang did ,at a stop light it would just be making that rattling sound and I would be self conscienous thinking it made my car sound like junk to the other vehicles in the next lane. Put on new Flowmasters w/X-pipe and took off Flowpath w/H-pipe because I didn't like that sound at hi-RPM's when I downshift, it made that cackling sound that reminded me of a 6 cylinder rice burner w/ fart can, so it had to go. Flowpath was new to me when I bought the car & put them on in '97 so I went that route instead of staying with Flowmasters like I had on my '89 Stang before the '95 I have now. Live & learn, won't make that mistake again. Gotta luv that deep Flowmaster w/X-pipe sound on a SB pushrod 'Stang.