PDA

View Full Version : Turbo questions

charlie
10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm thinking about going turbo, instead of the Whipple. I know the turbo will produce more HP @ 20 LB's of boost than a Whipple..... So I've been told.

I was more concerned about longevity of the turbo. I was also thinking about a under the bed mounted turbo. For easer install and less engine bay heat, more time for the compressed air to cool. I'm not concerned with "lag".

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Charlie

WA 2 FST
10-11-2007, 07:52 PM
In something as heavy as a Lightning, it is tough to beat a positive displacement blower. Certainly a properly sized turbo will make more peak HP per psi, but peak HP doesn't win races. "HP under the cuve" does. Now, I'm not saying a good turbo setup can't be faster than a Whipple, etc. But I think you'd need to be running 25+psi to really make a big difference... at least one that is worthwhile.

As far as turbo longevity goes, don't let that be a deterrant. All quality turbos of today will last a long, long time... probably longer than you'll own the truck.

charlie
10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
As far as turbo longevity goes, don't let that be a deterrant. All quality turbos of today will last a long, long time... probably longer than you'll own the truck.

Thats good to know. That was a big negative for buying a turbo. I did not think they would last that long. Thanks

Charlie