PDA

View Full Version : Radiator and then shock

rickgig
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Guys...

I got two issues that I need input on.

One is stock shocks... I put new stock shocks on last year and the drivers side broke a seal and I got it exchanged for a new at Ford. Now... nearly 6 months after that, the passengers farted and did the same. I'd like to just replace it but I am fearfull that it this could continue.

Thoughts?

The other, cold temps out side and stress that had been building up, my radiator went south today. Got a replacement but thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone can offer input before I replace it.

L8 APEX
10-22-2007, 09:45 PM
I haven't seen many Bilsteins fail. Is the truck Lowered? That would be the only reason I could see.
Never have replaced a radiator ever in a gen 2. A few gen 1's.

rickgig
10-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Terry... It is bizarre that I had two fail. I do have it lowered but I did that over 50,000 miles ago. I just changed them cause I thought I should seeing how I had 90k on the truck. 2" drop via shackles for JLP which is really a 1 1/2" drop at best.

Cool shackles though since I can go to the 4" or 1" setting if needed.

As for the radiator... I have to take complete blame. I flushed it at 36k and haven't done it since and I now have 120k on the truck. I am sure the junk built up and sat in the bottom of the radiator. Nasty. Been smelling antifreeze for a few months now and actually thought it was my heater core until yesterday... nice puddle in the garage.

My plan is to install the new one and then fill with water and go some place to get it flushed properly. Used to be able to let that stuff run down the driveway in the old days. Dang we were dumb back them!!!

Silver_2000
10-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Terry... It is bizarre that I had two fail. I do have it lowered but I did that over 50,000 miles ago. I just changed them cause I thought I should seeing how I had 90k on the truck. 2" drop via shackles for JLP which is really a 1 1/2" drop at best.

Cool shackles though since I can go to the 4" or 1" setting if needed.

As for the radiator... I have to take complete blame. I flushed it at 36k and haven't done it since and I now have 120k on the truck. I am sure the junk built up and sat in the bottom of the radiator. Nasty. Been smelling antifreeze for a few months now and actually thought it was my heater core until yesterday... nice puddle in the garage.

My plan is to install the new one and then fill with water and go some place to get it flushed properly. Used to be able to let that stuff run down the driveway in the old days. Dang we were dumb back them!!!

First I would avoid using grey text, its tough to read on a white background its tough to read second I would flush the system BEFORE changing the radiator so that you get as much of the CRAP out of the system as you can before installing it

rickgig
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Decent idea but the radiator is toast. In fact, it's draining as it sits in the garage without the petcock being opened.

No idea where the grey text came from.

rickgig
10-26-2007, 05:01 PM
guys... I am hearing that flushing it now with all the miles I have on it could toast the heater core or something else.

thoughts?

charlie
10-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Depends on what chemicals you use to flush it with.

I personally use HTH pool cleaner. Put it in with straight water, run it around the block till its @ running temp and flush several times with water. Warning! If you do not get all the HTH out of the system, it will eat the rubber!

Charlie

Mark #2
10-26-2007, 06:23 PM
guys... I am hearing that flushing it now with all the miles I have on it could toast the heater core or something else.

thoughts?
IMHO Only flush with tap water, then follow up with a DI water fill and drain, then add 50/50 premix Prestone. Chemicals are bad.:nono: