PDA

View Full Version : New Lightning Owner

Deuce
10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, names Alex.

Im new to the forums, and a new lightning owner. Just bought it today, and its the 2nd vehicle ive owned, previous was a gmc sierra. I fell in love iwth the lightnings and after a couple of years, I finally got one! I bought it from a dealership for a fairly cheap price, and it only has 35k!

Specs:

2001 white svt lightning, has an AEM cold airintake.

Ive never owned anything this powerful, and i dont want to mess it up in anyway, so i will just use this truck for casual driving for now, but my question to yall is are there any "guidlines" to use when handeling these trucks? any rules to live by so i dont mess up the truck?

Well i appreciate any comments, and im glad to be part of this site, and hopefully have a badazz lightning like all of you guys!

danielvalles1
10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
well my truck likes to drift when ever i punch the gas so i would becareful with that but if you want some real good info the name is terry screen name LA Apex he knows a bunch about lightnings so he would most likely tell you your donts or dues or some of the other senior members can tell you ,welcome to talon thers a bunch of good guys hear.:tu:

L8 APEX
10-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Watch the tunes and pulleys. 90% of Lightnings blow engines in cold air below 60 degrees and over 100 mph. Highway racing and staying in it too long. Fuel filters every 10K miles, check plugs once a year for backing out. Run a good 10-30 oil in it and keep it full. Lightnings eat a quart a month in general.

Deuce
10-31-2007, 11:57 PM
ok, I should also say that i dont know much about vehicles, u know the regular oil change and blah blah blah, but when it comes to being detailed stuff im lost. I guess i could say that im not to excited about the cold weather and blown engines, but i just have to wait for summer to come back around!

I also dont race much, i bought this truck because i thought it looked cool, and it has some serious HP under the hood, Basically eliminating me from have to "Overhaul" a truck to fit my standards.

Would it be good to go to full synthetic oil? like i stated before the truck only has 35k on it and its a 2001.

I will use this truck for everyday driving, back and forth to work mainly, about a 20 min drive to and from.

My cousin just got a 02' trans am ws6, and i needed to get sumthing to rival him, lol

Thanx again for all the help u guys give me, looks like i have a long road ahead of me!

danielvalles1
11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
The truck will last you for a long time if you take care of it, just try not to go over its limits.i use the regular oil they put at the dealership my oilchange is about 25 bucks.:tu:

TXLIGHTNING
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Would it be good to go to full synthetic oil? like i stated before the truck only has 35k on it and its a 2001 Yes...Use synthetic oil. A good choice would be M1 10w30 :tu:. And welcome to the club :beer:.

TXLIGHTNING
11-01-2007, 12:13 PM
My cousin just got a 02' trans am ws6, and i needed to get sumthing to rival him, lol Have you run that TA yet?

WA 2 FST
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
If your truck is stock except for the intake, then you will not have any problems with cold weather... the engine isn't going to blow just b/c you stand on the throttle hard every now and then.

But if you swap on a different supercharger pulley to increase boost, you will want a cold and warm weather tune. This isn't something you would do... its something a competant tuner would do, and then you would use a tuning device to change the tune (simple plug and play proposition).

My truck isn't close to stock and I haven't had a lick of problems.

Welcome to the club!:nana2

Sonicblue03
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
:threadhijack Speaking of tunes.....Terry, your money/crown is waiting....:D

Also Deuce let us know if you get any good kills and good luck with the truck! Welcome to the board!

Ohmsby
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Welcome.... let the mods begin $$

highway stands with to much boost blow up a lot of these motors but stock you should be safe goosing it around town

02HemiWho?
11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Yea you definatly need to lay off the boost when its under 60 degrees on the highway, i can vouch for that one, on my second motor, lol.

Also make sure if you start modding the truck, buy a turner like the xcal and have someone who knows what they are doing tune it.

Mobile 1 synthetic 10w30 all the way :tu:

But welcome to the club, you wont be disappointed with the truck.

P.S. your cousins ws6 shouldnt stand a chance when you start modding the truck, lol.:gatling:

Cartel
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Howdy! Youll love it good choice :tu:

Deuce
11-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok first the bad news...

1st: The deal with the white 2001 lightning didnt fall through, so i no longer have it. :Bullshit

BUT!!

I recently found another for sale! and this one is 10x better!

The specs:
2002 w/ 22k, Kenne Bell supercharger, with supposedly 615rwhp!

Now i can afford this truck but agian back to my first worry, i dont want to blow this thing up, i mean , thats a lot of power under the hood! i know if i new more about this stuf i would jump on it no doubt, but im still thinking about it, tell me what yall think!knana

danielvalles1
11-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Kb supercharger dam thats one expensive bad boy which one does it have the big boy or the 2.3, yeah thats a little more hp than stock hope you enjoy its nice:tu:

smbony9
11-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Watch the tunes and pulleys. 90% of Lightnings blow engines in cold air below 60 degrees and over 100 mph. Highway racing and staying in it too long. Fuel filters every 10K miles, check plugs once a year for backing out. Run a good 10-30 oil in it and keep it full. Lightnings eat a quart a month in general.

i wish someone had told me about this before my first motor lasted 2 and half days after i bought my truck it was 50 outside and it went south at 130 mph at 4730rpm it knocked 4 holes in the block thought god for a warrenty but a have a 4 lbs lower pully and k&n filter and magflow exghaut