PDA

View Full Version : Trans problem? Help!

BlackLight
12-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Started out as a really minor thing, but it started idling lower than normal, makin the exhaust rattle, but now its pretty obvious and has more symptoms..when I'm on the gas and below 3-4k rpm, if I let off the gas suddenly or semi-fast, the RPMs drop pretty rapidly, and when Im cruisin at like 5-15 mph, like say through a parking lot or neighborhood or something, if I let off the gas suddenly, the RPMs will drop very rapidly to a dangerous level, 500 rpm, and one time it even dropped below 500 and the truck died. Could it just be that I need new trans fluid or is the trans in need of a rebuild? I mean I drive the truck pretty nicely, and shifting into any gear is still crisp, no gears slipping, and except for the occasional jerky shift, shifts are solid, so I have no clue what's going on. Help?

BC Lightning
12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
its not a tranny problem, sounds like a vacuum leak, mine did that for a while as well

charlie
12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
its not a tranny problem, sounds like a vacuum leak, mine did that for a while as well

+2

BlackLight
12-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Hmm thats a good point, ill take a look at it tomorrow; it really bugs me to have to ease off the throttle when im stopping or constantly tap the gas to keep it form rattling at idle etc..bleh! Any ideas where to look first?

charlie
12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Every where boost hits the little lines. Just prey it is not the one on the back of the lower intake. (PVC system)

Charlie

L8 APEX
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Vacuum leak or idle air motor.

tiffo60
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Every where boost hits the little lines. Just prey it is not the one on the back of the lower intake. (PVC system)

Charlie

that line can be replaced with the blower still on :icon_mrgreen:

99WhiteBeast
12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
that line can be replaced with the blower still on :icon_mrgreen:

Not easily:rolleyes:

BlackLight
12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Just an update: checked out the lines today, everything seemed fine, i couldnt spot any obvious leaks or otherwise, but my Boost/Vacuum gauge is still reading 20 in. mercury at idle and when I take my foot off the gas most times, it used to be at 11-15 (15 at the absolutle lowest until this problem). So it looks like, as usual, Terry will probably be right :icon_lol: Gettin the IAC checked/replaced if necessary right now.

FRDRCING
12-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Just an update: checked out the lines today, everything seemed fine, i couldnt spot any obvious leaks or otherwise, but my Boost/Vacuum gauge is still reading 20 in. mercury at idle and when I take my foot off the gas most times, it used to be at 11-15 (15 at the absolutle lowest until this problem). So it looks like, as usual, Terry will probably be right :icon_lol: Gettin the IAC checked/replaced if necessary right now.

Just take it off and clean it out with some carb. cleaner and you should be fine. I have done that on the current Lightning, as well as my dads old ranger he had. Got my idle and all back to normal afterwards.

dboat
12-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Just take it off and clean it out with some carb. cleaner and you should be fine. I have done that on the current Lightning, as well as my dads old ranger he had. Got my idle and all back to normal afterwards.

+1

done this one too.

ZeusSVT
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
This happened to me as well when I first bought my Lightning earlier this year. Ended up being the IAC motor as well. Cleaned that out and Terry tuned it and its been good ever since. :tu:

BlackLight
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, I wish I had taken pictures of the motor when I pulled it..that thing was NASTY..a good cleaning with anything short of C4 wouldnt have done the job, so I replaced it ( got a free one from the Ford place up here, they owed me a favor), but the truck is still doing it!! I looked at all the lines again and can't find anything..grrrr. But they say third time's a charm, so ill check AGAIN! Back into the snow and 25 degree weather!! yay!!

:gatling: INDIANA

tiffo60
12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, I wish I had taken pictures of the motor when I pulled it..that thing was NASTY..a good cleaning with anything short of C4 wouldnt have done the job, so I replaced it ( got a free one from the Ford place up here, they owed me a favor), but the truck is still doing it!! I looked at all the lines again and can't find anything..grrrr. But they say third time's a charm, so ill check AGAIN! Back into the snow and 25 degree weather!! yay!!

:gatling: INDIANA

have you checked the one on the back of the lower intake manifold? you wont be able to see it with your eyes, you have to reach around and feel it with your hands

BlackLight
12-07-2007, 05:57 PM
That lil sumbitch? Not yet, i didnt have a chance to check again today, but thats the first place I will look.