PDA

View Full Version : Battery?

Chris94L
12-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Whats a good battery choice? I have had a couple of red tops, and after a couple years they just wont maintain their capacity anymore. I was out earlier and had the radio going for ~10 mins and there wasn't enough capacity to start the truck.

L8 APEX
12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I like the 3yr yellow EverStarts from Wal Mart. Always convenient and a good warranty.

my2002lightning
12-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Tried having Optima/Sam's Club honor any warranties?

I've had my Red-Top Optima ~2 yrs with no problems.

Chris94L
12-12-2007, 12:39 AM
This is the second one I have had that has lost its capacity after 2-2.5 yrs. I'm really not interested in getting another.

mustgofaster
12-12-2007, 06:00 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of Interstate batteries... I've never had to replace one. I've had a few of the Wal-Mart batteries & they aren't bad, but for our trucks, the size they sell doesn't actually fit the battery tray; It's too small. It still has plenty of CCA, but the battery hold down clamp won't hold it, so you either have to rig something up, or let it slide around until it beats a hole in the side of the case.
Just my .02 for what it's worth
Steve

gagspa
12-12-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure if they have one for our trucks, but in my Mustangs I have always used the Gold top Durlasts from Autozone. They have a great warranty (something like 7 years). The warranty is easy too, you just give them your phone number and they can look it up and then they give you a free battery or one for $30 if it has been more than 3 years. Batteries don't typically last long in a daily driver with Texas heat so go for the best/easiest warranty.

dboat
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure if they have one for our trucks, but in my Mustangs I have always used the Gold top Durlasts from Autozone. They have a great warranty (something like 7 years). The warranty is easy too, you just give them your phone number and they can look it up and then they give you a free battery or one for $30 if it has been more than 3 years. Batteries don't typically last long in a daily driver with Texas heat so go for the best/easiest warranty.

+1 on this..I had one go bad after 1 yr and no cost replacement.. they dont start prorating until after 3 yrs.. I did have them in all my cars, but since I have two relatively new cars now, only the L has one in it.. but they honor the warranty and Autozones are everywhere..

Dana

wesman
12-12-2007, 11:36 PM
I've always liked the yellow tops better than the red. The "Deep cycle" is key

--wes

L8 APEX
12-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Their group 65 batteries should fit???

TXLIGHTNING
12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I've always liked the yellow tops better than the red. The "Deep cycle" is key

--wes +1 :tu:

diablolightning
12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
motorcraft in the truck and in the trailer.

DWSmooth
12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Red top Optima have a 3 year free replacement warranty on them. At least they do now, as I bought mine last month from Autozone.

Chris94L
01-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Be careful if you buy one from Vatozone. I took mine back today for replacement/warranty. I originally bought the battery in 03 according to their system. I replaced it 4/05 under warranty for the same reason this one went south. Still under 3 years right? Fockers tried to go by the original date of purchase, not the replacement date.

L8 APEX
01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I am sure it is in some legal terms but I agree with AutoZone. When you buy something with a warranty that is the warranty you get. If they give you a replacement in the term that costs them. They only have to full fill the term you originally purchased. Ford does the same thing under the 3/36 warranty. They replace items that break but you don't start the warranty period over every time they GIVE you a new part. You cheap bastard:D

dboat
01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I am sure it is in some legal terms but I agree with AutoZone. When you buy something with a warranty that is the warranty you get. If they give you a replacement in the term that costs them. They only have to full fill the term you originally purchased. Ford does the same thing under the 3/36 warranty. They replace items that break but you don't start the warranty period over every time they GIVE you a new part. You cheap bastard:D

+1

same thing happened to me.. you are thinking, hey, you just gave me one a year ago and it failed.. well, yes, but you only have a warranty starting with the original date of purchase.. so buy the gold one, get 4 yrs no proration and then prorated after that..

Dana

slick-svt
01-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Mine is an 03 and still has the motorcraft battery in it with 40,000mi and no problems. (will probably go out after I post this)

99WhiteBeast
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Hey Chris,
What did you finally get?

Chris94L
01-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey Chris,
What did you finally get?
Another RedTop :icon_rolleyes::eek2::rolleyes: