PDA

View Full Version : Sold my Lightning !

Dean!
12-25-2002, 12:48 AM
Since a few people have asked, yes, I did indeed sell my 02 True Blue to "True Blue Aggie" on this board.

So to answer the "Why's" Here's why:

In order to keep my current job with my current company, I may be *forced* to move to California. (Sacramento area).

So I did the unthinkable...0 car payments for a little while. No equity in the Lightning, so it was an easy sell since I first got it on X-plan to begin with. A lot of equity in my LS1 Formula, so I sold it for good cold hard cash. But as you know, I was racing my Formula almost every other weekend - and when I wasn't able to race it, I rented Jaguar S-types or took Nissan Maximas road racing! :) - so I got a cheap race car, a great handling, but underpowered 92 Camaro 6speed, paid in cash.

Then, I have my green 94 LT1 Impala SS Clone for daily driving - paid in cash. 18mpg in the city, 22-23 on the Highway!!! :D

So a beater car to drive to work (that still runs mid 14's) and a cheap race car to fulfill my road racing desires (runs high 13's) - but most importantly, ZERO CAR PAYMENTS.

Bought a house in May, got friends and family here, I wanted to put myself into a position so that I would not *HAVE* to take the California job relocation - and fend for myself in the extremely ROUGH job market if I need to start looking, but still be able to pay the bills without a job for a few months. My Lightning was a luxury item for me, I do miss it - but my current LT1 Impala SS clone (owned one for 3 years before I sold it for my first white 01 L) actually fills the Lightning's shoes quite nicely - better handling, better brakes, seats 5, better MPG, but 100 less horsepower and torque... (and I had used my first SS for towing the Formula for 1.5 years...though it didn't tow as well as a GenII L...)

So...that's my entire life story for you! :O Can't replace friends and family, but I can always replace the L with a 2004?? ;)

PS. I work for a pharmaceutical that posted DOUBLE DIGIT growth, double digit increase in profits with 50 BILLION in revenue, in TODAY's economy, YET they are still downsizing and consolidating (to California) - as if no industry is immune. :( One of the few Fortune 50 companies to even post profits or growth, much less DOUBLE DIGIT growth of 21%... doesn't make any sense.... no sense at all.

RED1
12-25-2002, 12:57 AM
Good luck with everthing, and have a Merry Christmas.

blueoval01
12-25-2002, 07:59 AM
Dean, I understand your dilemma.
I'm facing the exact same scenario now as well. And if I take the position, I'll be commuting to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida every week starting March 1st. :crying:

wesman
12-25-2002, 07:45 PM
Company greed is what it boils down to....in a few years they'll have a Enron type scandal going....don't invest too much in company stock ;)

Gotta do what you gotta do man...best of luck with everything.

--wes