PDA

View Full Version : Gun thread

StormShadow
02-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Would you pay $500 for a used Smith and Wesson 629 6 inch barrel .44 mag?

I also have a chance to buy a Glock 30 which is the mid frame .45 for $500 used. I'm not sure thats a really good price on the Glock but I was offered these today from a neighbor.

Wht95Lightning
02-02-2008, 06:37 PM
If the Smith is in good condition then $500 would be a good deal. $500 for a used G30 is a big price. If it has a bunch of extra mags and a holster or two, that might make it worth it.

Offer him $900 for both. Then you'd be getting a heck of a deal.

Beaudee
02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Smith+Wesson have a habbit of the cyl. being out of time with the barrel.Other words it will eventually shave off bullets exiting:eek: after long usage.So no i wouldnt pay that.Stick with Ruger blackhawk or my fav. the Colt Anaconda.:tu:

Moonshine
02-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Most owners don't shoot enough full house magnums to get a Smith out of time, and it's easy to check before purchasing. +1 on Gary's answer.

my2002lightning
02-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Glock 21s can be had for $550~ retail. How many rds. been shot through it....actual? Reloads / +P?

As for the .44 revolver, have the owner take you out and let you shoot his ammo that it has been digesting regularly. When the cylinder is "locked", is there any "play" if you torque it left/right? It should be dead-solid with absolutely no "slop".

If / when you shoot the .44 with your neighbor's usual ammo, examine the spent caseings for the primers. Normal pressure loads should only have a smooth "dent" where the firing-pin hit the primer. Higher-pressure / hot-rod rounds will have a "crater" around the firing-pin indent where all the chamber-pressures have to expend their energy where the firing-pin hit - besides sending the bullet down-range at a higher velocity.

All that additional "go-fast" has to go somewhere.

Beau,

I have two-words for you. Desert Eagle. :evil