PDA

View Full Version : Great Super Bowl this year

WA 2 FST
02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I was impressed with the game this year. You have to hand it to the G-men. Wow, what an incredible defensive performance. And Eli came through in the clutch, although there is no way he gets the MVP if I'm voting. Gotta give it to the Giants defense as a whole, or co-MVP (Umenyura? and Strahan). Brady was on his back 75% of the time.

I'm just glad the Patriots lost. They were the more talented team (as were the Cowboys when they played the Giants), but the Pats should have had at least 2 losses in the reg. season anyway. They definitely are not the best team ever... no matter the outcome of this game.

L8 APEX
02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Damn good game down to the last 2 seconds! They almost didn't get the last second played. I wish the Pats would have made it just for the record books. Yeah they are cheaters but hey that is life and they will get penalized more next year.

WA 2 FST
02-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't care about the "spygate" deal... I just think they completely lucked out pulling out a couple of reg. season games they shouldn't have won. If they were 14-2, then no one would have been talking about them as the "best team to ever play", etc, and most likely they wouldn't have been an 11+ point favorite. They played in the worst division in football... heck, that's 6 of their 16 wins. Put them in the NFC East or AFC Central and they lose 3 games in the division.

This game also proves once again, how important the D-line and a pass-rush is. It gives me hope about the Cowboys in the near future. They took big steps forward this year. Even superstar QBs and high-powered offenses cannot consistently move the ball when the QB is on his back all the time. My hat is off to the Giants defense.

SVTJoseCuervo
02-04-2008, 02:21 AM
As much as I hate the patriots...I sure as **** don't think the Giants deserve that cup...

oh well

ZeusSVT
02-04-2008, 03:40 AM
cup...
:icon_eek:

dboat
02-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I have to say that I am glad it wasnt a blowout either way like so many SB's have been in the past.. it did keep you watching for the whole game.. like many, I didnt have a dog in this hunt and frankly didnt care who won. The Pats probably should have won, just like the 'Boys should have won too.. it made me feel like I was watching a re-run of the year that North Carolina St won the NCAA basketball championship.. But the commercials were pretty good this year too, some new players in there, like Planters. The Bud Light commercial with Will Ferrell was genius too.

all in all, at least the game was interesting.

Dana

Sonicblue03
02-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Come on guys. The more talented team at the end of the season did win the super bowl and the Cowboys should not have won the game against the Giants either. You can make as many excuses as you want but, if you get outscored you lose the game. It's as simple as that. Someone once quoted for me "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas", or Super Bowl.....:D

Eli Manning.....1
Tony Romo......0
:cool:

tiffo60
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I love the fact that the Giants won, aint nothing like going undefeated thru the entire season and pissing it away at the end:rll::rll:

Mark #2
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I really wished the Patriots would have won I can't take any more of the 72 Dolphins.

Sonicblue03
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I really wished the Patriots would have won I can't take any more of the 72 Dolphins.

Didn't they only have to win 12 games? That wouldn't be near as hard for any team in the NFL now. Several teams have been able to go 11-0 and 12-0 in the regular season.

TXLIGHTNING
02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Didn't they only have to win 12 games? That wouldn't be near as hard for any team in the NFL now. Several teams have been able to go 11-0 and 12-0 in the regular season. The 72 Dolphins went 17-0.

WA 2 FST
02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Come on guys. The more talented team at the end of the season did win the super bowl and the Cowboys should not have won the game against the Giants either. You can make as many excuses as you want but, if you get outscored you lose the game. It's as simple as that. Someone once quoted for me "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas", or Super Bowl.....:D

Eli Manning.....1
Tony Romo......0
:cool:

If the Cowboys played the Giants 10 times, they would beat them 7 or 8 times. Period. This isn't profound. They beat them 2 of 3 just this season.

However, just like the Patriots yesterday, they didn't win when it mattered. I wasn't making excuses in my first post. The fact is the Cowboys made more mistakes at critical times in the game... and they deserved to lose. But they are the more talented team, hands-down. That's not an excuse for anything. In fact, it makes the coaching staff look bad, and the players look bad. It's a blown opportunity in my book.

Congrats to the Giants for stepping it up the last 5-6 weeks and playing great football.

Sonicblue03
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
The 72 Dolphins went 17-0.

Thanks! I knew they played a few less games than they do now. (before my time). :tu:

Sonicblue03
02-04-2008, 03:49 PM
If the Cowboys played the Giants 10 times, they would beat them 7 or 8 times. Period. This isn't profound. They beat them 2 of 3 just this season.

However, just like the Patriots yesterday, they didn't win when it mattered. I wasn't making excuses in my first post. The fact is the Cowboys made more mistakes at critical times in the game... and they deserved to lose. But they are the more talented team, hands-down. That's not an excuse for anything. In fact, it makes the coaching staff look bad, and the players look bad. It's a blown opportunity in my book.

Congrats to the Giants for stepping it up the last 5-6 weeks and playing great football.

IMO the Giants played better football and were more talented towards the end of the season than the Cowboys or the Patriots. Again, this is just my opinion. Eli Manning stepped his game up and really came out of his shell these last few games. That is all the Giants were really lacking from being an elite team in the NFL. Yes I know the "Boys" beat them 2 of 3 times but it's not profound either for a team to get better as the season goes. When it really mattered, at the end of the season, the Giants were a better team. I also like the Cowboys just as much as the Giants so this is a very unbiased point of view. However, it's still just one person's opinion.

WA 2 FST
02-04-2008, 03:52 PM
All very good points, Sonic

SVTJoseCuervo
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I love the fact that the Giants won, aint nothing like going undefeated thru the entire season and pissing it away at the end:rll::rll:

lol

bluesvt
02-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I love the Pats and wish it was anyone else but the Giants that beat them. Cowboys, Greenbay anyone with a respectable QB would have been ok with me. I hate Eli Manning though and if it wasnt for their D then it would have been a diff story. Plus Gay was not playing well at all IMO.

nacklas
02-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I cant believe Elin got the MVP:hammer:....Well at least we can say the Cowboys beat the Super Bowl Champs twice!!

Sonicblue03
02-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Sounds like there is some sore losers....................:evil

Don't worry, there is always next year! :tu:

bluesvt
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Not a sore loser, just hated Eli since he started playing.
If you have not seen already here it is again.
http://www.baka-raptor.com/EliManning/index.php

WA 2 FST
02-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Kyle... thanks for posting that link. That is hilarious.

StormShadow
02-04-2008, 10:28 PM
If you have not seen already here it is again.

Is this funny to anyone else?

WA 2 FST
02-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I thought it was, but maybe I'm just easily amused tonight. The guy is a bit hung up on Eli, though. I don't have that kind of time.

bluesvt
02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Is this funny to anyone else?

:hammer::throw::gatling::stupidc:bs:flaming::banne d:Bullshit:mad::icon_mad::icon_evil:

ZeusSVT
02-05-2008, 09:03 AM
:hammer::throw::gatling::stupidc:bs:flaming::banne d:Bullshit:mad::icon_mad::icon_evil:

Yeah that website is pretty hilarious.

Eli played good at the end of the season when it really mattered this year. I remember at the beginning of the year when there was doubt about whether Eli really was enjoying playing football in the NFL or if he felt obligated to play because of his family. They were studying his posture and body language before, during and after the game.

IMO the cowboys made critical mistakes in the most important game of the season to them up to that point. The Giants were on fire (and still are), and capitalized on those mistakes. The better team that day won the game.

As for the MVP, I seriously do not believe that Eli deserved that honor at all. I believe Strahan or Umenyiora deserved it, hands down. If they hadn't had Brady on his back that whole game then that last drive would have never taken place as a Game Winning drive. Somebody has gotta give that defense and the coach some credit. Again, just my opinion.

Hats off to the G-men, let's see if they can keep their team together next year. I think the Cowboys will be back and ready to go. :tu:

Sonicblue03
02-05-2008, 09:16 AM
I agree with most of you guys that Eli should not have been the MVP. He did have a solid performance but for the Giants D to hold the Pats to 14 points, that was incredible. Lots of props for their defense.

Anyone think Romo will pull it together for next season and make it to the SB? If he chokes again in the playoffs do you think he will be gone?

WA 2 FST
02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree with most of you guys that Eli should not have been the MVP. He did have a solid performance but for the Giants D to hold the Pats to 14 points, that was incredible. Lots of props for their defense.

Anyone think Romo will pull it together for next season and make it to the SB? If he chokes again in the playoffs do you think he will be gone?

While I know Romo had a poor game vs. the Giants, I wouldn't consider that a "choke" on his part. Receivers have to catch well-thrown balls (or even wounded ducks...ask Eli about all the help he got), and the defense can't allow the opponent to drive 75 yards for a TD with 40 seconds left in the half/game.

No, I don't think Romo is gone if they don't make it to the SB. Think about how many teams out there have just pitiful QBs. If Romo has another year like he had this year, he's still in the top 5-6 QBs in the game. You have to live and die with that. 20+ other teams would. Cowboys fans just have to hope he steps it up in the clutch in the playoffs, not just in reg. season games (which he did on a consistent basis). He's got a good team around him, but everyone needs to remember he's only got ~25 pro starts under his belt.

Sonicblue03
02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
While I know Romo had a poor game vs. the Giants, I wouldn't consider that a "choke" on his part. Receivers have to catch well-thrown balls (or even wounded ducks...ask Eli about all the help he got), and the defense can't allow the opponent to drive 75 yards for a TD with 40 seconds left in the half/game.

No, I don't think Romo is gone if they don't make it to the SB. Think about how many teams out there have just pitiful QBs. If Romo has another year like he had this year, he's still in the top 5-6 QBs in the game. You have to live and die with that. 20+ other teams would. Cowboys fans just have to hope he steps it up in the clutch in the playoffs, not just in reg. season games (which he did on a consistent basis). He's got a good team around him, but everyone needs to remember he's only got ~25 pro starts under his belt.

Good insight. I think the Cowboys have all the players and talent to make it to the big game. I just think if he doesn't pull it together he will get the rep of choking in the "big game/s". I think when you play lights out through the regular season you are expected to do the same come playoffs. We all know where the blame usually goes first, deservingly or not.

dboat
02-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Good insight. I think the Cowboys have all the players and talent to make it to the big game. I just think if he doesn't pull it together he will get the rep of choking in the "big game/s". I think when you play lights out through the regular season you are expected to do the same come playoffs. We all know where the blame usually goes first, deservingly or not.

I think you might be right on the potential for the "choke" label, but after seeing Tom Terrific get knocked around and not do well, many are re-thinking whether Romo choked or whether he did a pretty decent job doing what he did getting knocked around too.. and he didnt have anyone making some easy as well as clutch catches either.. it takes a team to win and the team loses when they lose too.. not just one guy.

Dana

Sonicblue03
02-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I think you might be right on the potential for the "choke" label, but after seeing Tom Terrific get knocked around and not do well, many are re-thinking whether Romo choked or whether he did a pretty decent job doing what he did getting knocked around too.. and he didnt have anyone making some easy as well as clutch catches either.. it takes a team to win and the team loses when they lose too.. not just one guy.

Dana

I guess I can't be too quick to judge. NY was about ready to kick Eli out of the state until this SB. Anyone notice how NY went on their winning streak after Jeremy Shockey got hurt? He is a nice guy if you get to know him and a good player but their backup tight end sure was impressive. I wonder if he as a T.O. effect on the giants......:D

ZeusSVT
02-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I guess I can't be too quick to judge. NY was about ready to kick Eli out of the state until this SB. Anyone notice how NY went on their winning streak after Jeremy Shockey got hurt? He is a nice guy if you get to know him and a good player but their backup tight end sure was impressive. I wonder if he as a T.O. effect on the giants......:D

They've been talking about the Shockey affect all week on T.V. leading up to the Superbowl. The analysts think so, because of how mad he gets when he's not involved in the game. Eli almost felt obligated to force him the ball alot of times, even when others were open for plays.

And also as for putting blame on Romo, yeah it's usually the QB who gets the blame, but if you watch the highlights of the game, he played a really good game. Only a couple of mistakes. But there were many critical mistakes (dropped balls, blown coverage, missed blocks, missed tackles), by many of the players on the team. To call it Romo's fault is silly, and just follows in the footsteps of the boring media that is trying to find something to talk about. Just like with the Mexico trip......:Bullshit

dboat
02-05-2008, 02:41 PM

I have never ever been a huge Shockey fan.. I think he is really overrated.. so when the Boss shows up and gets the job done, hey, they may be thinking of making some room under their salary cap.. I sure would, but then again, I am biased..

Dana

WA 2 FST
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Yep, Shockey is definitely overrated... his production is not worth the lousy attitude he is perceived to have (I'm not in the locker room/sideline, so what do I know?). But statistically and talent-wise, he's certainly dispensible for a younger, cheaper guy.

L8 APEX
02-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah it seems Shockey intimidates Manning and brings the team down when he is on the field.

WA 2 FST
02-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Met several Giants fans while I was at Disney World this past week. Although this was obviously a very small sample, they all said the Cowboys were the more talented team, and should have beaten the Giants... but the 'Boys played a lousy game.

None of them like Eli Manning, but did say he didn't do anything to make the team lose (which is what a QB is supposed to do in big games, IMHO... manage the game... he doesn't have to "win" the game). They all think Tony Romo is a more talented QB.

98Cobra
02-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Saw this today, made me laugh: Patriots Season Perfect for Rest Of Nation (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/patriots_season_perfect_for_rest)

Sonicblue03
02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Saw this today, made me laugh: Patriots Season Perfect for Rest Of Nation (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/patriots_season_perfect_for_rest)

:rll::rll::rll:

Lyfisin
02-13-2008, 05:36 AM
I couldn't have been more thrilled with how the game turned out. It was a great game, down to the last minute and most importantly, the Giants won.

I really had high hopes for them. In the last regular season game, the Giants were actually pretty tough and if it wasn't for that one quarter where they decided not to keep the pressure up, I think they would have had it. If Brady was 'any' kind of hurt, the Giants were going to get him. He was barely getting away in week 17.

Another thing that bugged me about the Patriots and their record this year was the massive difference in quality teams throughout the NFL. There were very few teams that were doing really well and everyone else was around 500. And it wasn't because they were all good and competitive. They were just all mediocre. I think the Colts would have beaten them easily had they not had so many players hurt. As Wes pointed out, 6 of their games were against the Dolphins, Jets and Bills. The barely beat Baltimore in week 13 and had to have a last quarter, and literally final minute, drive just to do it.

Patriots... /ugh