PDA

View Full Version : Stock computer

Mark #2
02-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Will the truck run correctly with 60 lb injectors, 2400 MAF, 2.3 KB blower, and a 2400 stall on the stock 2000 computer?

I have heard that you need a tune for any of these mods.

99WhiteBeast
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
:nono::rll:

Mark #2
02-04-2008, 08:29 PM
:nono::rll:
Are you sure?

SILVER2000SVT
02-04-2008, 10:11 PM
No tune necessary...You don't need a tune until you get into the serious mods like E-fans, FTVB, and exhaust.

:D

StormShadow
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Will the truck run correctly with 60 lb injectors, 2400 MAF, 2.3 KB blower, and a 2400 stall on the stock 2000 computer?

My 03 wouldn't run right without a tune.

PUMP
02-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Is this a trick question?:confused:

ZeusSVT
02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Is this a trick question?:confused:

:icon_eek: :rll: I would hope so....

Mark #2
02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
No tricks, just testing ya'll.

projlightning
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
No tricks, just testing ya'll.
:rll:

TXLIGHTNING
02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
No tricks, just testing ya'll. :rll::rll:

PUMP
02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
In retrospect, I should have posted "This is a trick question - RIGHT?":tongue:

Mark #2
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
In retrospect, I should have posted "This is a trick question - RIGHT?":tongue:

No, it is not a trick question, but I know the answer.
Data logged it today.

L8 APEX
02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
It would be interesting to see it. There are a lot of transparent changes in tuning that driving or logging a few parameters can't see. Such as MAF scale and limits the stock tune limits the maf in the 900 count range, the stock spark tables are also capable of 19-20 degrees of timing. Load should be low so it would drive timing up. Of course none of the transmission changes would be there.

Mark #2
02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
It would be interesting to see it. There are a lot of transparent changes in tuning that driving or logging a few parameters can't see. Such as MAF scale and limits the stock tune limits the maf in the 900 count range, the stock spark tables are also capable of 19-20 degrees of timing. Load should be low so it would drive timing up. Of course none of the transmission changes would be there.

You are absolutely correct, I only logged MAF, RPMs, and A/F.

I drove it today with a stock 2000 computer and these mods, no issues, even with serious mods like E-fans, FTVB, and exhaust.:tongue:

But that is just my data.

SILVER2000SVT
02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't know if this has ever been discussed but under closed loop operation I could see the stock computer figuring out the adjustments needed to operate with your mods.

Tuners tune for open loop operation like WOT or cold startup. Some say they change the tune for closed loop as well but conceptually wouldn't this only change the initial (startup) values until the computer learned the settings for itself.

Mark #2
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't know if this has ever been discussed but under closed loop operation I could see the stock computer figuring out the adjustments needed to operate with your mods.

Tuners tune for open loop operation like WOT or cold startup. Some say they change the tune for closed loop as well but conceptually wouldn't this only change the initial (startup) values until the computer learned the settings for itself.

You are also correct, closed loop no problems with any mods that I have ever found.

I was surprised that the truck started with the 2400 MAF and 60lb injectors, but it ran fine all day at a 14.7 A/F.

I am not recommending anyone do this, and I am not going to run it this way, but it was an interesting data point.

L8 APEX
02-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Did you lay in it on the stock tune? The stock tune adaptive learning has a 25% limit on its ability to adapt. Tuning is changed across the board open and closed loop. You should buy a racer SCT package so you can see the data for yourself.
I have not found a single stock program that would run a built engine with MAF, cams and injectors.

L8 APEX
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Here is a clip of the stock program MAF transfer which is where your mixture is controlled. The red and blue is the MAF transfer for SCT 2400 MAF. Injector scaling and load multipliers are also changed drastically. Since the 2400 reads about 30% less air than stock and the 60# injectors flow about 35% more fuel than stock they will start and drive on a stock tune. The majority of the stock tune is still way off though.

Mark #2
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Did you lay in it on the stock tune? The stock tune adaptive learning has a 25% limit on its ability to adapt. Tuning is changed across the board open and closed loop. You should buy a racer SCT package so you can see the data for yourself.

I just started to do it, and it looked lean, but I had to get out of it.
Richardson's finest thankfully switched on the radar, just behind me on the right, thank you V1.

I have often thought about writing my own programs with a Pro racer package, but it is expensive, and I still believe that there are smarter guys than me on tuning. They/you have more data.:icon_mrgreen:

L8 APEX
02-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I just started to do it, and it looked lean, but I had to get out of it.
Richardson's finest thankfully switched on the radar, just behind me on the right, thank you V1.

I have often thought about writing my own programs with a Pro racer package, but it is expensive, and I still believe that there are smarter guys than me on tuning. They/you have more data.:icon_mrgreen:
$300 bucks isn't too much for all the entertainment to be had.

PUMP
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
You are absolutely correct, I only logged MAF, RPMs, and A/F.

I drove it today with a stock 2000 computer and these mods, no issues, even with serious mods like E-fans, FTVB, and exhaust.:tongue:

But that is just my data.
It could be a function of how far you drove it after making changes. I know that right after I installed a 2400 MAF and adjusted the MAF curve, I drove to Killeen (about 90 miles) before it started throwing any codes. It took that long to exceed its adjustibility limits.

Mark #2
02-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Really you can get me a pro racer package for $300?

Can I tune more than one truck with it if they have a SCT2 also?
Not trying to take your business and doubt that I would ever tune anyone else's truck, not up for that kind of liability, just wondering.

PUMP
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
+1:tu: It also saves on haircuts because you start scratching your scalp in frustration.:tongue: The logic that went into setting up how the computer functions sometimes defies explanation.:evil But it is still fun to use.

L8 APEX
02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
You want it you can have it! It is supposed to be one PCM but I think it may work for any computer of the same processor code. I am not sure though. You can add other processors for 100 bucks.

Mark #2
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
You want it you can have it! It is supposed to be one PCM but I think it may work for any computer of the same processor code. I am not sure though. You can add other processors for 100 bucks.

I do not understand, you are going to give it to me?
If so, why?

And are you going to send me programs?
If so, will these be able to be used with the pro-racer package?

Talk to you tomorrow at the monthly meeting?

jmlay
02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
You can get a new DB for $100-$200 bucks depending but you need the flash device. I have 2 device, an Xcal2 & the original SCT flash device & I can program both of them, so I would expect you should be able to programs as many as you want as long as it is the same processor code.

My original flash device is not supported in SCT 3.0 so I can no longer tune for it, I can flash a program to it using the other other SCT flash tools but I would have to have a 2.x tune first. SCT is not supporting 2.9 anymore so it is useless if more than the basic mods past a 4lb pulley.

Mike

Mark #2
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
You can get a new DB for $100-$200 bucks depending but you need the flash device. I have 2 device, an Xcal2 & the original SCT flash device & I can program both of them, so I would expect you should be able to programs as many as you want as long as it is the same processor code.

My original flash device is not supported in SCT 3.0 so I can no longer tune for it, I can flash a program to it using the other other SCT flash tools but I would have to have a 2.x tune first. SCT is not supporting 2.9 anymore so it is useless if more than the basic mods past a 4lb pulley.

Mike

What is a DB?
I have an SCT2.

jmlay
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Sorry, DB = Database.

Mike

Mark #2
02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Sorry, DB = Database.

Mike
That is what I thought but a new DB would=a new tune correct?

If so, not interested in a new DB at this point or tune, just a way to create my own DB or tune.

Thinking that I might be capable, but probably wrong, but I am willing to give it a try.

L8 APEX
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I call it a processor code he calls it a database. CXN1, ABU2, CUX1 CUX2, URB1, NLP2, EKO1 EKO2, CNA1, etc..