PDA

View Full Version : old FTVB

Sandman
02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
So I have a FTVB that I bought from Band back in '04. I bought it, didn't feel like pulling the pan to put it in, and I stuck it on a shelf. I ran across it the other day and decided I should get off my butt and install it. Besides, it's about time to service the tranny anyhow. Can't believe I've had it almost 4 years and haven't installed it.:hammer:

So here is the question. It has been stored in a sealed plastic container, is it safe to install? Since it was in Band's truck, it should have tranny fluid in it. But I don't know if I should worry about rusted springs or other things. I definitely don't want it tearing up my tranny.

Sandman
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Anybody???

my2002lightning
02-10-2008, 03:20 AM
A raced / used FTVB that's been sitting on the shelf for ~4 years? :cool:

Sandman
02-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Ronald.

I'm not too worried about it be used. It's not really a wear item.

I also went out to the garage and took a look at it. What little bit of the springs I can see from the bottom side are not rusted by any means, and the vb is wrapped in some anti-corrosive paper. The more I think about it, if you go and buy a vb from Ford, I'm sure they didn't make it that day. It has been sitting around on some shelf for awhile.

I think I'll go ahead and put it in. To my knowledge the worst that can happen is the truck won't shift properly.. maybe throw a code or make the OD light flash. If that happens, I'll just put the stock one back in.

99WhiteBeast
02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I think you should be fine. Maybe let it soak in a little tranny fluid- it will clean it up for sure.

RSVT
02-11-2008, 11:35 AM
:threadhijack if i get a FTVB, will i have to get 4x4 pan? Thanks:tu:

99WhiteBeast
02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
:threadhijack if i get a FTVB, will i have to get 4x4 pan? Thanks:tu:

No but the extra capacity will help with cooling. Plus it has drain plug so it makes servicing the tranny (filter and fluid change) a snap.

If you do don't forgot the 4x4 or long filter- do not reuse the stock filter for a deep pan.

Sandman
02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Yup... just ordered the 4x4 pan and filter from LFP today. I don't really think one extra quart of fluid will help with cooling all that much, but I really wanted the drain plug. Just be careful if you have a lowered truck as the pan sits lower than the stock one.

RSVT
02-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Yup... just ordered the 4x4 pan and filter from LFP today. I don't really think one extra quart of fluid will help with cooling all that much, but I really wanted the drain plug. Just be careful if you have a lowered truck as the pan sits lower than the stock one.

is the FTVB from LFP a good deal w/4x4 pan

Sandman
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I think Ford parts online has them a touch cheaper, but I was already ordering something from LFP so the difference I would have saved would have been eaten up in shipping. Also, some vendors will give you a package deal when you buy it with the ftvb.

Comparison of pans (http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/powertrain/tranny_pans.htm).

RSVT
02-13-2008, 11:36 PM
which is better a stage 1 ftvb or stage 2....? i found a stage 2 for 175$ on NLOC

L8 APEX
02-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Put it in already you wuss!

ANyone that just wants the parts to upgrade their stock VB to stage 1 or 2 I have a few left $100 bucks. Line mod valve, set of springs and instructions.