PDA

View Full Version : The value of regular oil changes

98Cobra
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
http://www.nissanforums.com/truck-suv/142504-nissan-murano-engine-sludge.html

The scary side of buying a used car is not knowing whether idiots like this were the previous owner.

bma04ltng
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Thats why I am torn about doing maintenance myself vs taking it to the dealership or someother reputable shop. Because they will keep the records, it will go on CARFAX reports and there will be no question about neglect on my part.

dboat
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Thats why I am torn about doing maintenance myself vs taking it to the dealership or someother reputable shop. Because they will keep the records, it will go on CARFAX reports and there will be no question about neglect on my part.

+1

I take mine to the local Goodyear shop and they do it for less than $10.. it is in their system and its worth it to me..

L8 APEX
03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
You want to know what is funnier than that. Is people that go the the oil change places religiously and still loose an engine or have sludge problems. We replaced or repaired half a dozen engines at the shop due to damage from using bulk oil. When you go to any place always request new oil out of quart bottles. If it comes out of the hose reel in the ceiling it is bulk oil which is recycled used oil. It builds up wax and sludge deposits quickly. Most all of their warranties would not cover the damage upon inspection. We would pull the pan and valve covers and it would be caked with muck. The customer would stand there baffled knowing they always changed the oil at 3-4K.

slick-svt
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I always watch it poured from a newly opened bottle.....:D

BC Lightning
03-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Thank God I have my own lift to change the oil and fuel filter every 3,000 miles

my2002lightning
03-05-2008, 02:00 AM
I've done all my RP oil changes myself since new in 2/03 @ 3K intervals and no issues since. Receipts kept, etc.

dboat
03-05-2008, 05:10 AM
I always watch it poured from a newly opened bottle.....:D

+1

usually, the guys doing this are going to be younger and in awe of the L.. so they treat mine like it was golden.. I get the best treatment of any customer in the shop.. so its good for me..

Dana

TXLIGHTNING
03-05-2008, 02:15 PM
+1

usually, the guys doing this are going to be younger and in awe of the L.. so they treat mine like it was golden.. I get the best treatment of any customer in the shop.. so its good for me..

Dana +2 They wont even sit in my truck because they are afraid of getting oil on the seats (plus I wont let them get in the truck). They always ask me to do a good burn out when I leave :evil.

Shiner1
03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
+2 They wont even sit in my truck because they are afraid of getting oil on the seats (plus I wont let them get in the truck). They always ask me to do a good burn out when I leave :evil.

:evilThats great....