TXLIGHTNING
03-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Happy B-Day! Have a great one :beer:.

G'Lightning
03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Have a good one Mika..:beer::beer:

Mika
03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Almost snuck it by you guys. I appreciate it:). Maybe one day I might even be able to meet you guys.

Mika

dboat
03-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Almost snuck it by you guys. I appreciate it:). Maybe one day I might even be able to meet you guys.

Mika

Make it to a monthly meeting or take your act on the road to LFest.. heck, I will be there and we can talk F1..

Dana

my2002lightning
03-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Where you from Mika? Happy Birthday, btw.:tu:

Mika

Mika
03-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I was born i Finland, grew up in West Palm Beach, Fl, and now reside in Texas. No regrets moving from Florida to Texas.

Mika

my2002lightning
03-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I'll bet the climate-change from Finland to Florida was a shock. Why did you not care for WPB? I worked for several months in Miami and enjoyed it. One of the craziest things I witnessed was a 20 minute long hail-storm in the middle of August in Miami.

For me, it was a place to spend some time, work and check out the "local scene", but not live there.

I was born i Finland, grew up in West Palm Beach, Fl, and now reside in Texas. No regrets moving from Florida to Texas.

Mika

Mika
03-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I lived in West Palm for 20 years, and it really went downhill the past 15. I didn't care for the people and the real estate mainly(too pricey). Like you said, it's a nice place to visit, but you don't want to live there. Put it to you like this, if you live there long enough, you'll turn into an apathetic drone. Texas folks are nice, plain and simple. You can take the rudest person from Texas and he/she will still be worlds nicer than the average jabroni in Florida.

Don't get me wrong, the night life in Florida is something else. You gotta know where to go, otherwise you'll blow some serious $$$ trying to have fun.

The climate was one of the reasons my family moved to Florida from Finland(I was a year and a half old). They like it down there, but even mom tells me if they were younger that they'd move out. Now mom's almost retired, dad is retired, and due to the crappy real estate market, they're more or less stuck.

Mika

mustgofaster
03-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I have to agree with Mika... I moved here from the Tampa/St. Pete area back on 03' & have found that the average Texan has twice the intelligence and 10X the kindness of your average Floridian. I will NEVER move back to Florida. In fact, my sister came out to visit me here for the first time last July... She and her family qickly sold thier house & now live here. My parents will be here in about 2 years when they retire... Texas is by far better than Florida. IMHO.

Want more proof... Just watch Cops, or some crime show... 50% of the time they are in Florida.

Just my 02.
BTW... Happy belated B-Day Mika.
Steve

L8 APEX
03-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Hmm, and I have been considering leaving the metroplex. I feel the quality of life is getting worse everyday in the big cities. Crime, robbery , rape murder. The kids can't play outside unsupervised. That is not my idea of a friendly place.

mustgofaster
03-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Hmm, and I have been considering leaving the metroplex. I feel the quality of life is getting worse everyday in the big cities. Crime, robbery , rape murder. The kids can't play outside unsupervised. That is not my idea of a friendly place.

Compared to where I came from the Metroplex is very friendly. However, if I had the $$$, I would be living on @ least 10 acres somewhere so my kids could enjoy the good, clean, safe childhood that I enjoyed. But, that being said... you are still better off in TX, because you can't afford any real property in FL unless you are a multi-millionare.

Mika
03-09-2008, 09:02 PM

If you consider leaving Texas, get ready to pay at least twice as much for the same amount of land, sometimes as much as 4 to 5 times as much(not counting Cali). Ex: my house isn't great, 3/2/2. I got it under $120k. South Florida=at least $250k, and that's in a bad 'hood. Decent hood=$300k. Get ready for lots of hostile people.

Crime, robbery, rape, murder? That's gonna be wherever you go. There's always going to be good areas and bad areas. You hear about that shooting at Wendy's in West Palm? Yeah, I went to school(private, at that) 100 yards away from that Wendy's, and that wasn't a bad neighborhood when I went there. Kinda rough, but I wouldn't have minded living there. Now, you could give me a house in that neighborhood, but I sure as crap wouldn't live there. Sure as hell wouldn't drive through there at night('specially since I'm a cracker).

My honest to goodness opinion is that if you were to move out of DFW, check out San Antonio(north of I-10). Not sure about Austin, but the drivers there annoy me(never in a hurry). Or find 10 acres and live out in BFE.

I am not saying that DFW is perfect, but it sure as crap is a lot better than the other alternatives.

Mika

P.S. Thanks Steve:beer: