PDA

View Full Version : computer issue ... svchost.exe

mustgofaster
03-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Ok, I know that svchost.exe is a Microsoft Windows program that is supposed to be generic host process to run DLL's, but I'm having some issues with it. When i power up my computer, a couple of minutes after startup, my computer slows wayyyyy down. so I check the processes running & svchost is running running about 4 processes. (I know that it is normal for it to show more than 1 image name at a time) The problem is that 1 of the processes is using 99% of the processor. :stupidc If I end the process, everything returns to normal... Any ideas? It's kind of a pain in the arse waiting for it to slow down, so I can shut off the process every time I turn the thing on.
Info on the computer: Toshiba Satellite laptop W/ a 2GHz processor; Windows XP Home Edition 2002, with Service pack 2.

Thanks!!
Steve

Silver_2000
03-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Run a scan for bad software
Run an antivirus scan
Use one or 2 spyware removal programs

Go through your Add remove programs list and pull out anything you arent using - ESPECIALLY - search bars Internet explorer tool bars - search assistants etc

then right click the start button and choose explore all users and remove stuff you dont use every day from the start up folder(s)

then run MSconfig and remove more stuff from starting up every time it boots - seems every program these days wants to run all the time - Itunes, Adobe reader are good examples - I dont want to waste resources 100% of the time so that a PDF file opens a millisecond faster

Then reboot

jmlay
03-22-2008, 10:05 AM
At the CMD prompt type "tasklist /svc >c:\taskList.txt". Then open tasklist.txt in notepad, this will allow you to see what services are associated to each svchost. You can stop services until you find the offending.

Doug provided soud advice as well.

Mike

Ok, I know that svchost.exe is a Microsoft Windows program that is supposed to be generic host process to run DLL's, but I'm having some issues with it. When i power up my computer, a couple of minutes after startup, my computer slows wayyyyy down. so I check the processes running & svchost is running running about 4 processes. (I know that it is normal for it to show more than 1 image name at a time) The problem is that 1 of the processes is using 99% of the processor. :stupidc If I end the process, everything returns to normal... Any ideas? It's kind of a pain in the arse waiting for it to slow down, so I can shut off the process every time I turn the thing on.
Info on the computer: Toshiba Satellite laptop W/ a 2GHz processor; Windows XP Home Edition 2002, with Service pack 2.

Thanks!!
Steve

SIL02SVT
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
You may also want to go Start>Run>MSCONFIG and go to the start up tab and make sure you don't have any adware or spyware starting up at start up its also a great way to turn off services you dont' need to start at start up pre-fab computers have a ton of things starting up that you don't need. Hope this helps

Lol jumped the gun didn't read all the way through dougs post. lol great advice doug.

99WhiteBeast
03-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Run a scan for bad software

then right click the start button and choose explore all users and remove stuff you dont use every day from the start up folder(s)

Similar issue all the sudden- delete the folder groups or the shortcuts?

charlie
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Thanks!!
Steve

OH, Now I see why you have not called in a while. You been hanging out in the wrong places on the net.:rll:

Silver_2000
03-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Similar issue all the sudden- delete the folder groups or the shortcuts?
You need to go deeper into the startup folder

in there there will be nothing but shortcuts

if you want post a screen shot and Ill tell you what to get rid of

mustgofaster
03-30-2008, 10:41 AM
OK, so where so I go from here? Sorry if my question is a little computer stupid.

Silver_2000
03-30-2008, 10:46 AM
OK, so where so I go from here? Sorry if my question is a little computer stupid.

Just like steve you have to open the startup folder ( right next to the Toshiba folder ) and look in there

Every shortcut in the startup folder represents a program that starts every time windows starts

take a screen shot of that folder

PUMP
04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
You can download ProcessExplorer from the following link
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Process Explorer is an expanded Tasklist program and Tasklist does not exist on XP Home Edition. This is also more user freindly.