PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Exhaust Mods

RED1
01-03-2003, 01:22 AM
Hey guys if you haven't already seen this then please look.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34370

wesman
01-03-2003, 01:53 AM
One thing he never mentions is when the before/after dynos take place. I hope the long tubes/free-flow cats do produce the HP, cause I have a set in the garage :tu:

--wes

bad00
01-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Iwas thinking of buying Jdm's full Exhaust system. I would like to know what everyones oppinion is?

L8 APEX
01-03-2003, 04:13 PM
LOUD. I would just do a cat back unless you are going all out then I would look at headers. I would just hate to pull them off for trips to the dealer:hammer:

blueoval01
01-03-2003, 04:46 PM
I like my MagnaFlows :burnout:

bad00
01-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Na,no dealer trips here its not under warranty. I already smoked one tranny the dealership replaced it but i think that ones on the way out too. Iam lookin to have levelten in NJ biuld me a bulletproof 4r100.Oh and one more Question which chip do a lot of you guys run?

1BADTK
01-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by wesman
One thing he never mentions is when the before/after dynos take place. I hope the long tubes/free-flow cats do produce the HP, cause I have a set in the garage :tu:

--wes

The 1st dyno was before the cats and long tubes were done. The 2nd run was after, all within two weeks of each other. Here is the SAE corrected graph:

http://www.haloclub.com/pics/pspbob.jpg

blueoval01
01-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by bad00
................ I am lookin to have levelten in NJ biuld me a bulletproof 4r100. ..........

LMAO, one of our tuners already shot through that flap-jacket.
For the price of Level 10, I'd rather have a tranny built for me ...... And, I think it can be done. Assuming the right tranny dude is aware of the mods on your truck.

Just my .02
But, then again, I think Doug just replaced with level 10 ..... did he not?

L8 APEX
01-03-2003, 07:18 PM
I have done my best to break or stress test every part on our trucks. I went through my first tranny just after 12K miles. I contacted Lvl10 and bought in to their dealer program which is expensive! I run their converter still and it is not much difference than stock. They sent me the wrong parts for my transmission, then charged me full price to get me the right parts. I have to callVisa to get a refund. I killed that transmission in two weeks and decided to let my trans guy help me build a better unit. We went back to some old school HD parts from Diesels etc. Come to find out later Ford did a similar thing after 01 and went back to old tech on trans parts. I thought Lvl 10 made all of their parts and everything was special. After ordering the PTS kit and all the accy's. I was ****ed when they were off the shelf BorgWarner, raybestos clutches and other common parts I could buy for half the price locally. Anyway I have over 16K road raced miles on MY build and she feels great:tu: Tim 380HP bought a Greg Evans Monster Box and broke it @2500 miles I think?, Doug has a Lvl10 but he was there to supervise. Auto trannies are a PITA and they will all break:hammer:

Silver_2000
01-03-2003, 07:42 PM
http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/level10/level10.htm

I love my level 10 rebuild....

Doug

1BADTK
01-03-2003, 10:47 PM
The other run:
http://www.haloclub.com/pics/Maxpower.jpg

andy_cain
01-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Its hard to tell from the second picture, but is the AFR on that at 13 or do I need to close one eye to seperate the lines (old drunk trick that still works):confused:

If it is at 13:1, does that cause any alarm?
In either case, the AFR is significantly higher in the second picture.
Is the AFR reader done with a wideband or a sniffer?

Also, no flame, just curious why they would wrap the motor all the way to 6100 RPM when redline is a good 600 or more under that, and max HP/TQ are reached (cross) on these at 5250 RPM/
Just curious:confused:

L8 APEX
01-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Good observation Wayne! That AF is a full point higher:eek2: May explain why a member lunched a motor running a 4# program then added headers, cats and suddenly boom. I remember JDM saying it needed to be tuned for the headers.

andy_cain
01-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Is the AFR# just higher because it is likely a sniffer type sensor and the cats are not filtering out as much?
Just the raise in AFR# could account for the extra 10 ponnies in itself...but seems too lean if you ask my humble opinion:hammer:

bad00
01-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Dose anybody know anyone with the bullet proof 4r100 from levelten? They guarantee it for life and up to 850hp.It dose cost like $2600 plus the core charge. L8 what stall are you running,if your road racing Prolly not much over stock anyway right? I want to run like a 2600 stall. from what i heard the rebuild kit is different from there bullet proof stuff. they said they change the amount of clutch packs in 1rst and 2nd gear, and also what there made of. But i dont know, just asking before i go and buy.

L8 APEX
01-06-2003, 09:29 PM
If it is really guaranteed fo life can't beat that. As long as you can afford the down time.. 380 got Greg to send him one after much debate, but he wanted him to pull the trans and send it in for repairs. He couldn't be w/o his truck for that long. My stall is around a 22-24 they said they only make one L converter.

bad00
01-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Yea they told me the same thing, but i live kinda close to them and my truck isnt an everydayer. I drive a 99 F350 turbo powerstroke everyday.

BigBob
01-12-2003, 05:25 PM
In reference to the A/FR being at and above 13.0, yes it is for that particular chip. It is an older (outdated) JDM program that was set up for a 4# pulley; I have upped boost substantially since then. A/FR was ~13.0 before headers and picked up a few more points with headers. It is too lean, but has not presented any problems to date. I have since sent for re-burn to adjust boost and timing. The headers and cats were responsible for ~0.15 seconds in the 1/4 mile vs. my previous runs with the rear set of cats removed and using stock exhaust manifolds. Removing the rear cats was worth close to a tenth over using both sets.

I just made HALO's 11 Second Pass club and sit at #3 on our Top 10 list which is very competitive. It now takes a 12.26 or better to be in the Top 10 and positions 5-7 at 12.12 are separated by less than 1/100th of a second.