PDA

View Full Version : AA debacle

L8 APEX
04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, this maintenance shutdown is getting deeper by the minute... AA can't afford this kind of customer frustration...

Mark #2
04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow, this maintenance shutdown is getting deeper by the minute... AA can't afford this kind of customer frustration...

Of course they can, the government will not allow AA to fail.

I think this is just a cost cutting smoke screen/excuse that the public will except. "It is for safety":tex

Wht95Lightning
04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Tuesday morning I flew AA to IND without incident. When I was moments away from boarding my return flight Tuesday evening, the brown stuff hit the propeller thingy. :mad:
So instead of having dinner at home, I took a Continental 737 to HOU, then a Continental ERJ to DAL, then a Super Shuttle to DFW where my truck was parked. I got home just before midnight last night.

I was lucky compared to these poor suckers trapped at the airport over night.

L8 APEX
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Yep, the rest get a free danish for breakfast and toothpaste and a cot for dinner/bed.

Silver_2000
04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I hope AA cancels all the flights from Hawaii

mikelemoine
04-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Just hang in there Doug, I know it'll be tough to be stuck in that horrible place an extra day or two. We're all pulling for ya.

2 of my co-workers got stuck in Vegas. One raised hell enough and got a flight, although routed all over like Gary, the other is currently stuffing singles in a stripper's g-string a block or two off the strip.

my2002lightning
04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
AA does not make the :ron: happy!:mad:

Silver_2000
04-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Just hang in there Doug, I know it'll be tough to be stuck in that horrible place an extra day or two. We're all pulling for ya.

2 of my co-workers got stuck in Vegas. One raised hell enough and got a flight, although routed all over like Gary, the other is currently stuffing singles in a stripper's g-string a block or two off the strip.

the aa cancels were all md80s

tooo small for Hawaii - I already checked

Beaudee
04-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I assure you that the grounding of the aircraft is because of Advisory Directives from the F.A.A.These must be complied with by defined dates or the aircraft should be grounded and if it isnt could lead to heavy fines.The MD-80's in question is a wiring inspection in the main wheel well which takes about an hour,maybe a few shifts if some work needs to be done.Dont forget to throw in union brakes,breakfast tacos,and 2 hours to roll your tool box to the aircraft:tongue:.The inspection consists of making sure some wire bundles are wire tied every inch i believe and the routing of intermixing bundles.All and all the grounding is for the safety of the public and to prevent fines.:tu:

Ohmsby
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I was one of the chosen ones who got on a flight yesterday to Florida for the Mcd's worldwide and felt lucky

Silver_2000
04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I just changed my flights back from paradise with no issues - the longer legs on the bigger planes are NOT affected apparently

Ohmsby
04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I felt bad for the folks working the ticket counter's they definitely had been getting there ass's kicked

Silver_2000
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I felt bad for the folks working the ticket counter's they definitely had been getting there ass's kicked
+1
I thanked the Advantage lady like 3 times - she seemed to be taking it well

I moved my return flight back a day so I can have more time here BUT also so I can give the ATA and Aloha bankrupcy and the AA cancellations time to fix themselves -

With ATA and Aloha going out of business and another Inter island airline closing Hawaii has been hit pretty hard ...

Beaudee
04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
+1
I thanked the Advantage lady like 3 times - she seemed to be taking it well

I moved my return flight back a day so I can have more time here BUT also so I can give the ATA and Aloha bankrupcy and the AA cancellations time to fix themselves -

With ATA and Aloha going out of business and another Inter island airline closing Hawaii has been hit pretty hard ...

SWA is looking @ flying to Hawaii,Mexico.Theirs even been a rumor of buying another airline.Id expect some other exotic direct flights from love field when the Wright Ammendment is gone 2012.Hawaii is a pretty expensive vacation area.Im sure the economy here is gona cut travel there a bit.Funny how the News was rubbing it in Americans face showing customers going to SWA:evil

Ohmsby
04-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I am pretty sure ATA was the partner airline for SWA Hawaii connections

We always do the Dallas direct to Maui flight. One of my Golf buddies is the pilot on that run:ron:

tiffo60
04-10-2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6085/DSC_6064a.jpg

when all else fails :d

Beaudee
04-11-2008, 02:07 AM
I am pretty sure ATA was the partner airline for SWA Hawaii connections

We always do the Dallas direct to Maui flight. One of my Golf buddies is the pilot on that run:ron:

Exotics from Love would be Bahamas,Yucatan.Flghts to Hawaii would be from LAX Jackass:rolleyes:Ohmsby 1 Canoby

dboat
04-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Beau did a good job with the explanation. There was a pretty good article on it in USA Today as well. Then, did anyone see the ad put in by the Pilots Union? Wow, was is scathing..

I flew to Tampa via Miami on Wed, no probs because I flew a regional jet to Miami and 737 to Tampa.. However, on Thur, all looked good on my noon flight to LaGuardia on an MD-80 but then it got pushed back 2 hours and I would miss my connection. So AA booked me on US Air, at 5:15p to arrive at 7:30p, about 2 hours after my original flight would have got me to Pittsburgh. Plus is was a non-stop. So I got home a couple of hours later than originally planned.. they were good and all turned out well.

I happen to like flying AA. I have for years and my Freq Flyer acct shows it.

With ATA and Hawaiin going down, it will help some of the other carriers get the traffic volume they need to survive.

I wont get into the whole FAA inspection thing..

Dana

tliss
04-11-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my flight tonight to El Pisshole is still good to go. I've called AA a few times and they tell me it's OK FOR NOW but I should check back. Perhaps I'll be sitting in the terminal drinking some sh*tty expensive Starbucks coffee when they cancel it...bastards!

Tom

dboat
04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my flight tonight to El Pisshole is still good to go. I've called AA a few times and they tell me it's OK FOR NOW but I should check back. Perhaps I'll be sitting in the terminal drinking some sh*tty expensive Starbucks coffee when they cancel it...bastards!

Tom

did you go online and see what kind of plane it is? if its not a md 80.. you are ok

tliss
04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
did you go online and see what kind of plane it is? if its not a md 80.. you are ok

It is an MD-80 and this flight was cancelled yesterday. I hope it's back on today...:bsDon't want to take my happy ass all the way out to DFW only to find it is cancelled...

Tom

dboat
04-11-2008, 12:30 PM
It is an MD-80 and this flight was cancelled yesterday. I hope it's back on today...:bsDon't want to take my happy ass all the way out to DFW only to find it is cancelled...

Tom

Well, they told us that it would be going until 15 min before flight time..then it was delayed, and then delayed again, and again, and again.. so be prepared to wait, or cancel and book it on Southwest now..

Dana

Ohmsby
04-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Exotics from Love would be Bahamas,Yucatan.Flghts to Hawaii would be from LAX Jackass:rolleyes:Ohmsby 1 Canoby

american airlines DFW to Maui non stop to clarify princess

Mark #2
04-11-2008, 09:00 PM
April 11, 2008

Dear Mark Kressley,
As one of our most valued customers, please accept my apology on behalf of American Airlines® to you, your family and your fellow AAdvantage® customers for disrupting so many peoples' lives with the recent flight cancellations related to the inspection of our MD-80 aircraft fleet.

As you can imagine, American's decision to cancel thousands of flights this week was difficult, and it undoubtedly created concern among our best customers – even those who had no travel plans during the period.

If in your travels you were among the many who have been personally affected, I sincerely regret the inconvenience you have experienced. Our employees will continue to work around the clock to accommodate all who still need to reach their desired destinations. We anticipate returning to a full schedule by Monday.

While the media reports have documented the reasons why American took this action and the steps we're taking to re-accommodate and compensate affected customers, I've also attached an explanation (outbind://1-00000000B6A512C968AAD211B4680000F8BDAE68070081B2FE 7FC88FD211B4620000F8BDAE6800000014F20500006AA7A37D 0419D74E8350F7869E676D28000002F100DD0000/#attachment) of the events for your understanding. It's a bit complex, but at the end of it all, please know this:

First, your safety and the safety of our employees remains our number one priority.

Second, we will learn from this experience, and we will get better.

Finally, we wholeheartedly appreciate your loyalty to American Airlines, and we remain committed to earning your business each and every day.

Respectfully,
http://www.aa.com/content/images/outages/danGarton.gif
Dan Garton
Executive Vice President
Marketing

The statement

"I've also attached an explanation (outbind://1-00000000B6A512C968AAD211B4680000F8BDAE68070081B2FE 7FC88FD211B4620000F8BDAE6800000014F20500006AA7A37D 0419D74E8350F7869E676D28000002F100DD0000/#attachment) of the events for your understanding. It's a bit complex"

Repeat, I think it is BS and a cost saving event, it was noticed 4 years ago.:tex

Background: : In 2004, American Airlines was the lead airline working with Boeing to develop a Service Bulletin to correct wiring exposure and chafing in the MD-80 auxiliary hydraulic pump wire bundle. The concern was that exposure and chafing could cause fire in the wheel well. An Airworthiness Directive (AD) was issued in September 2006, giving MD-80 operators, including American, 18 months to address this issue. American completed the Service Bulletin in November 2006, followed by adjustments deemed necessary by American's structural engineers to comply with the AD well ahead of a March 2008 deadline.

Beaudee
04-11-2008, 10:35 PM
american airlines DFW to Maui non stop to clarify princess

Read the post wrong thought you was refering to Love field :icon_mrgreen:With economy the way it is that flight wont last long,or run a few times less.Your golf buddy might be your Caddy:rll:Airline business is something else.:tex ATA and Hawain arent looking too good lately.

dboat
04-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Hmmmm, wonder why I didnt get one of these?:confused:

April 11, 2008

Dear Mark Kressley,
As one of our most valued customers, please accept my apology on behalf of American Airlines® to you, your family and your fellow AAdvantage® customers for disrupting so many peoples' lives with the recent flight cancellations related to the inspection of our MD-80 aircraft fleet.

As you can imagine, American's decision to cancel thousands of flights this week was difficult, and it undoubtedly created concern among our best customers – even those who had no travel plans during the period.

If in your travels you were among the many who have been personally affected, I sincerely regret the inconvenience you have experienced. Our employees will continue to work around the clock to accommodate all who still need to reach their desired destinations. We anticipate returning to a full schedule by Monday.

While the media reports have documented the reasons why American took this action and the steps we're taking to re-accommodate and compensate affected customers, I've also attached an explanation (outbind://1-00000000B6A512C968AAD211B4680000F8BDAE68070081B2FE 7FC88FD211B4620000F8BDAE6800000014F20500006AA7A37D 0419D74E8350F7869E676D28000002F100DD0000/#attachment) of the events for your understanding. It's a bit complex, but at the end of it all, please know this:

First, your safety and the safety of our employees remains our number one priority.

Second, we will learn from this experience, and we will get better.

Finally, we wholeheartedly appreciate your loyalty to American Airlines, and we remain committed to earning your business each and every day.

Respectfully,
http://www.aa.com/content/images/outages/danGarton.gif
Dan Garton
Executive Vice President
Marketing

The statement

"I've also attached an explanation (outbind://1-00000000B6A512C968AAD211B4680000F8BDAE68070081B2FE 7FC88FD211B4620000F8BDAE6800000014F20500006AA7A37D 0419D74E8350F7869E676D28000002F100DD0000/#attachment) of the events for your understanding. It's a bit complex"

Repeat, I think it is BS and a cost saving event, it was noticed 4 years ago.:tex

Background: : In 2004, American Airlines was the lead airline working with Boeing to develop a Service Bulletin to correct wiring exposure and chafing in the MD-80 auxiliary hydraulic pump wire bundle. The concern was that exposure and chafing could cause fire in the wheel well. An Airworthiness Directive (AD) was issued in September 2006, giving MD-80 operators, including American, 18 months to address this issue. American completed the Service Bulletin in November 2006, followed by adjustments deemed necessary by American's structural engineers to comply with the AD well ahead of a March 2008 deadline.

Silver_2000
04-12-2008, 02:33 AM
I didnt either - But then again - i havent been flying to asia ...

Lyfisin
04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I got one, but haven't been to Asia. Just been flying AA a lot recently.

Mark Kressley? I thought your name was Kressler...

Silver_2000
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
I got one, but haven't been to Asia. Just been flying AA a lot recently.

Mark Kressley? I thought your name was Kressler...

Nah thats a pseudonym

Mark #2
04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Nah thats a pseudonym

"The Kressler" is an altered ego persona that was discovered at the race track and shows up for LFEST events.:D

wesman
04-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I assure you that the grounding of the aircraft is because of Advisory Directives from the F.A.A.These must be complied with by defined dates or the aircraft should be grounded and if it isnt could lead to heavy fines.The MD-80's in question is a wiring inspection in the main wheel well which takes about an hour,maybe a few shifts if some work needs to be done.Dont forget to throw in union brakes,breakfast tacos,and 2 hours to roll your tool box to the aircraft:tongue:.The inspection consists of making sure some wire bundles are wire tied every inch i believe and the routing of intermixing bundles.All and all the grounding is for the safety of the public and to prevent fines.:tu:

And it's costing some AA heads to roll.....especially since this was pointed out to them at least 18 months ago and they sat on their hands until the deadline and now the public gets screwed for it.

I think the government should fine their asses for every flight they cancel because of their incompetence and lack of PMCS scheduling.

--wes

dboat
04-15-2008, 03:23 PM
And it's costing some AA heads to roll.....especially since this was pointed out to them at least 18 months ago and they sat on their hands until the deadline and now the public gets screwed for it.

I think the government should fine their asses for every flight they cancel because of their incompetence and lack of PMCS scheduling.

--wes

I dont agree with this assessment.. I would place a lot of blame on the FAA on this one.

BC Lightning
04-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I dont agree with this assessment.. I would place a lot of blame on the FAA on this one.

Heard on the news that AA was told 18 months ago to make changes, they did but wern't up to par, so the airplanes were grounded

I'm still waiting on my letter from AA like Mark got, I guess Executive Platnium means nothing anymore :cool:

wesman
04-15-2008, 06:10 PM

So it's the FAA's fault that AA didn't comply with the mandates ? You're gonna have to explain that one to me.

--wes

dboat
04-15-2008, 07:47 PM
So it's the FAA's fault that AA didn't comply with the mandates ? You're gonna have to explain that one to me.

--wes

Ok, but I dont like being long winded, esp when I have to type it out..

It was AA that brought the potential problem to the FAA's attention so that they could share this with other carriers. The fact that they gave everyone 18 months is a reflection of showing how this was not an issue for airworthiness. In fact, apparently the pump or lines that are at issue are only used when the plane is on the ground.
Then what happens next is that a whistle blower tells on Southwest airlines because they havent been doing their maintenance, and they try to buy off an inspector or two. This issue makes it to Congress and by goodness, they want answers or heads will roll. So the FAA has this issue out there and they decide to audit some of their inspections. AA had already complied with the directive, a directive that had been changed three times and was unclear to begin with. So when the inspectors now had to go out and actually inspect the work, they failed planes where the ties that held these lines were not exactly 1" apart but were 1.1" to 1.25" apart or the tie was not in the same exact orientation as the picture they had in a book. It was all for show for Congress and they decided that it would be AA that would take the brunt of this. Mostly because AA has more MD80's than most other airlines. The FAA was just worried because Congress was up their a$$ and they had to make a show of it. In the meantime, this non-issue cost AA tens of millions of $$ and a lot of heartache by customers. (including yours truly) Now should the mechanics take the heat for this? probably not but maybe a little. But the real issue here is that we have a knee jerk govt and agency providing the oversight.
So should all these folks at AA take a fall for this? nope. But you have to be careful about what you read and then see what the mechanics and other officials are posting up about what the real deal is on this one.

Dana

Silver_2000
04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I worked at then owned a piece of a FAA repair station for about 10 years. Was lead inspector, Radiation Safety officer and FAA Anti Drug Plan manager.

In my experience the FAA only knows PAPERWORK. Nothing else. No common sense, no mechanical ability, no technical skills. They were unable to read and interpret a Military standard to save their lives. So they couldnt tell if I was following the Mil Standard that the inspection required before I signed the form, BUT would bitch if I was signing the inspection forms with the wrong pen or heaven forbid put the paper work in the correct colored folder.

I could go on but suffice it to say that in my opinion this is all political crap that lays 100% with the incompetence of the FAA.

Doug

ps this is a (http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F2/671/396/)different douglas boss

dboat
04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Doug, I was reading what was going on and the FAA inspectors would go to the plane to inspect it and literally if the repair didnt look EXACTLY like the picture in the book, then it wouldnt pass.. we are talking about having support ties being 1/4th of an inch off and they were supported every freakin' inch.. I was fortunate that I was delayed a total of 2 hours and AA put me on a US Scare flight back to PIT. So no harm no foul.. but the whole issue is ridiculous in that Congress was out to make sure that we are safe and we get a knee jerk reaction like this.. Instead, they should have hung some SW Air folks and FAA folks out to dry for what they did..

Dana