PDA

View Full Version : #5 Cylinder lean

NO MERCY
04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Need some help on my 01 Lightning. Twice now on a hard run to 100 or so,my Lightning is eating the #5 plug. Plug is white(lean) and pieces missing off it includiong melted electrode! Other plugs are fine. Could it be a bad injector? Only have 19k miles on her. Im paranoid about driving it till I get this problem squared away.

Thanks-
Rodney

tiffo60
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
whats the air to fuel at WOT?

Usually when there lean thats the main one that takes the beating

NO MERCY
04-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Not sure what the air/fuel ratio is. Dont have the equipment to check it. I may go back to the 6# pulley and see if things dont straighten up. If that doesnt work Ill try another injector,but just didnt know which way to go after that. Damn thing has ran great for over a year with the 8# on, its just started this eatin plug thing about a month ago.

tiffo60
04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
ill put money its not the injector, so dont waste the money. Im betting if there arent any codes being thrown its in the tune:tu:

Mark #2
04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
What do the other plugs look like are they white too?

NO MERCY
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Other plugs look ok but they are a little lean. None of the others are getting chewed up,just the #5. I have it tuned for a 6# and guess going to an 8# is more than it can handle without a retune.
Ive thought about selling it,as bad as it would kill me,but I just never have time to drive it anymore.

dboat
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Dont sell it, you will regret that decision later.. get a new tune for it and all will be right with the world once again.

Dana

L8 APEX
04-14-2008, 01:51 PM
5, 7 and 8 are lean cylinders the way the air goes through the manifold. The tune sounds too aggressive. Or that cylinder has detonated and has eaten away the plug boss which makes the plug run hot. The same thing happens when you use a steel thread repair kit that cylinder will melt or detonate before the rest. There could also be debris, damage or burs in the cyldiner from detonation or electrode loss. Any of those imperfections in the cylinder can cause detonation and a lean hot condition. I had one customer eat up stock heads so bad with 'silent detonation' the engine wouldn't hold more than 11 degrees of timnig without lighting up.

NO MERCY
04-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Terry-
I have had all the cylinders helicoiled with the wire type coils. The damn thing runs good until you keep your foot in it to a 100 mph blast or so then you can feel it start missing. I have lost the porcelean on plugs both times its happened and the electrode melted this last time. Just scares the crap outa me to drive it. You think going back to the 6# pulley will help? Gonna try and find a scope to look inside cylinder and see whats in there. How are those wheels doing? :)

slick-svt
04-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Turn the timing down and richen it up....

NO MERCY
04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Turn the timing down and richen it up....
Im gonna try that when I get home today. I have three more tunes on the
programmer that should do just that. Thanks!!:icon_mrgreen:

TXLIGHTNING
04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Im gonna try that when I get home today. I have three more tunes on the
programmer that should do just that. Thanks!!:icon_mrgreen: What kind of tuner are you using Rodney?

L8 APEX
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
It sounds like you trashed the heads. Steel inserts DO NOT work on Lightnings. I learned my lesson with them I use only aluminum inserts now. They hold heat and start havoc. Time for a set of heads. porcelin is damn hard stuff it easily chunks pistons, valves and the heads themselves. You can see the top of the piston with a scope. There are no scopes good enough to check and valves and chamber though...

To keep it in one piece you will have to run a hurt motor tune. 12-13 degrees and 11.0 AF.

NO MERCY
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
What kind of tuner are you using Rodney?
Its a superchips tuner from JDM. Has been great so far.

Terry-Ive been running this tune and heads for several years with no problems. All the other plugs look good, its just eaten the #5 plug twice now which is enough warning to me to fix whatever is going on. Ill get rid of the "race" tune and try the warm weather tune and see what happens. Even when stock,this motor never liked the higher rpms. Its been to 120 twice in its life and didnt seem to wanna accelerate past that point. I only have 19k miles on it,so its not a daily driver.
Would you do a built motor or lead me in the right direction for one? Nothing wrong with this one until you get over 100mph.:rolleyes:

Mark #2
04-14-2008, 05:02 PM
What plugs are you running?

NO MERCY
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Running the Denso it22's. may go back to NGK TR6's.

Mark #2
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Running the Denso it22's. may go back to NGK TR6's.
Go back, I have had good luck with the IX version.

L8 APEX
04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Is the inter cooler pump working? Once you light off a plug and melt the chamber down the damage is done. No changes in tune or pulley will make it better. We can do an engine if it is something radical. If you are just going to make 500 horse or so try a LFP short block I think they are using coated Diamond pistons and Eagle rods.

NO MERCY
04-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Terry-Ill check the cooler when I get back home today. I plan on putting the 6# pulley back on,change the plugs back to the TR6's and see if that fixes it. Its weird because I had a buddy with another 01 Lightning and he had the same problem with a built JDM motor.Same cylinder and all. No matter what pulley or tune he tried, he toasted several plugs! Even on other cylinders at times.:icon_eek:
Looked in the cylinder with a scope last night,all looks good,no dings or nicks anywhere,guess I got lucky this time.

NO MERCY
04-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Just an update-Found #1 plug porcelin broke in half but held in place by electrode. Changed all plugs back to NGK TR6's,put 6# pulley on and retuned. Damn thing runs great again even past 130!!!:beer: No damage done. Just damn lucky this time around. Thank all of you for your help!!! Its greatly appreciated.
Hope to meet up with ya'll in the near future.:tu:

Forgot to mention the reason this all took place. Got into it with a Dodge Viper Sunday. Good news is I pulled him couple bus lengths to 120 and thats when the #5 plug decided to let go. 1st gen Viper,but thought they were faster than that.:evil

Beaudee
04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Just an update-Found #1 plug porcelin broke in half but held in place by electrode. Changed all plugs back to NGK TR6's,put 6# pulley on and retuned. Damn thing runs great again even past 130!!!:beer: No damage done. Just damn lucky this time around. Thank all of you for your help!!! Its greatly appreciated.
Hope to meet up with ya'll in the near future.:tu:

Forgot to mention the reason this all took place. Got into it with a Dodge Viper Sunday. Good news is I pulled him couple bus lengths to 120 and thats when the #5 plug decided to let go. 1st gen Viper,but thought they were faster than that.:evil
Come out to Ennis May 9TH and you can try a Viper in the 1/4.Hes gona have street tires,Shelby,Bad Ass 06 Lancer with huge Turbo who will run in the 12's or maybe 11's.Its gona take B.C. or rocks to keep the L bros in there.
Were gona meet there around 630 P.M..:beer:

tiffo60
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM
vipers are very nasty especially on the big end, he may have been just having fun with you:cool:

NO MERCY
04-17-2008, 08:40 AM
vipers are very nasty especially on the big end, he may have been just having fun with you:cool:
LOL! I know. And this was from a 60 roll!! Nice guy,he was shocked a "truck" outran him. I have a buddy with a srt10,heads,cam,headers,roller rockers,and a paxton blower and he only gets me by a truck length to 120 or so!! Also ran two shelby gt 500's here in town and they both were no contest. The one guy has installed a whipple,headers,and tune and wants a rematch. LOL! Its fun doing all this in a "truck".:evil

Beaudee
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
vipers are very nasty especially on the big end, he may have been just having fun with you:cool: My buds was supercharged,but after the tuning ,getting rid of the detonation,he went back to stock.Ended up with about the same H.P..Apparently it takes a guru to tune a viper.Another guy i work with still has his S.C. on his viper,he has a bad habbit of never showin up for races though,Hopefully ill get him @ Ennis with the S.C. viper or his vette with NOS..ATTN. waytofast with the twin turbo vette.:icon_mrgreen:

Silver_2000
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Since you spend so much time at 120 + you should be especially careful with the amount of boost you run and the tune you use.

I hear the faint sound of a clock ticking in the background...

NO MERCY
04-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Since you spend so much time at 120 + you should be especially careful with the amount of boost you run and the tune you use.

I hear the faint sound of a clock ticking in the background...
Its on my mind everytime I nail it. But Ive had the Lightning 7 years now with the JDM tunes and no problems till this sunday. I only have 19,000 miles on her so its not a daily driver. Ive had good luck with JDM , I know others dont like Jim,but he's always been great to me and knows what he is doing. When it goes,Ill put a built motor in it.

NO MERCY
04-17-2008, 08:51 AM
My buds was supercharged,but after the tuning ,getting rid of the detonation,he went back to stock.Ended up with about the same H.P..Apparently it takes a guru to tune a viper.Another guy i work with still has his S.C. on his viper,he has a bad habbit of never showin up for races though,Hopefully ill get him @ Ennis with the S.C. viper or his vette with NOS..ATTN. waytofast with the twin turbo vette.:icon_mrgreen:
My buddies SRT10 was tuned by X-METAL and all the parts came from them as well. Tuning them is a PITA.

Beaudee
04-17-2008, 09:04 AM
My buddies SRT10 was tuned by X-METAL and all the parts came from them as well. Tuning them is a PITA.
Apparently in North Carolina theres a good tuner for dodges:tex.Dont know who but can find out if anyone interested..

tiffo60
04-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Florida too,

HeffnersPerformance.com
4396 Independence Court
Sarasota, FL 34234
941-359-0900

BC Lightning
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Florida too,

HeffnersPerformance.com
4396 Independence Court