PDA

View Full Version : I am really ticked off

dboat
04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Just got the truck out of winter storage, took it in for the normal vehicle inspection, had to get new tires, seals were weeping at the rear wheels, replaced the coolant in both the radiator and intercooler. Then I get told that the tech found a couple of pieces of metal in the rear end of the truck. I just had the rear end repaired a couple of years ago after Terry caught it when I left it with him.. I am p.o'd:flaming:.. its not a cheap date.. but if it goes, I am not putting stock back in again.. thats for sure..

Dana

L8 APEX
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
What did I find, what is in it now? If it runs quiet there can't be any big problems with it. Gears let you know in a hurry if they are not happy. Tru Trac is the only choice. LFP has the best price on them. 420 I think.

dboat
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
What did I find, what is in it now? If it runs quiet there can't be any big problems with it. Gears let you know in a hurry if they are not happy. Tru Trac is the only choice. LFP has the best price on them. 420 I think.

Well, I havent run it much so I will have to keep the windows down and the radio off to see if there is any noise.. You notice it had a whine to it and told me to hope for the best driving it home.. I got back here and had if fixed at a place that specializes in drive trains.. but next time its going to be a Tru Trac.. not sure I trust the place I took it to now though..

Dana

L8 APEX
04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Why would a stock rear make noise? Unless a crazy half dry burn out ate a stock posi or shat a spider gear.. A broken spider would likely explode or one wheel only. Rear ends are a somewhat exact science. You get about 2-3 thousandths before you have problems. I would go online to LFP and order a TruTrac, alum diff cover, stud kit. Get a set of rear diff carrier bearings from a parts store or dealer. Parts guys are REAL stupid when it comes to getting you the right bearings. If you tell them carrier bearings you will get drive shaft parts. Even if they get the rear axle bearing you will get outer axle bearings. You almost have to draw them a picture that you want the bearings that go on the "posi track unit". Then you have to make sure get the bearings for the optional 9.75" differential. I call them differential carrier bearings. Tru trac is 420, cover is 150 or so, stud kit is 20 bucks. I would run Mobil 1 gear oil 85-140wt. Buy 4 qts, it only holds a touch over 3 if that.

dboat
04-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Why would a stock rear make noise? Unless a crazy half dry burn out ate a stock posi or shat a spider gear.. A broken spider would likely explode or one wheel only. Rear ends are a somewhat exact science. You get about 2-3 thousandths before you have problems. I would go online to LFP and order a TruTrac, alum diff cover, stud kit. Get a set of rear diff carrier bearings from a parts store or dealer. Parts guys are REAL stupid when it comes to getting you the right bearings. If you tell them carrier bearings you will get drive shaft parts. Even if they get the rear axle bearing you will get outer axle bearings. You almost have to draw them a picture that you want the bearings that go on the "posi track unit". Then you have to make sure get the bearings for the optional 9.75" differential. I call them differential carrier bearings. Tru trac is 420, cover is 150 or so, stud kit is 20 bucks. I would run Mobil 1 gear oil 85-140wt. Buy 4 qts, it only holds a touch over 3 if that.

You are telling me exactly what I want to do.. didnt know about the bearings, but I know that you know that.. thanks.. I will probably go get this lined up to be done.. arghhhh

L8 APEX
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Drive on over to your local ITP they will have a solid diff man.
http://www.inlandtruck.com/locations.html
Don't be scared to drive it. It will get really bed before it goes.:evil

L8 APEX
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Ask your local Napa if anyone knows diffs around your area, or look at 4wd shops, heavy truck service like ITP. 4wd shops usually do a lot of gear changes.

dboat
04-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks, thats what I am going to do.. I wonder if they will mind if I bring my own diff to be installed?

Terry, want to make a trip to Pa? free room and board while you are here..

Beaudee
04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Sure its not the mechanic throwin B.S. in there to drill oil on your wallet:Seems like low milage to have metal chunks.You dont have a teenager with the keys do ya:tongue:Hard to find a trustworthy mechanic.Good luck with it.:tu:Might have been from factory with ball peen assembly,pissed off union worker on a friday.My truck has 42K,which is 42K 1/4 miles no problems.I beat the shit out of it and no problems.Open it up and look urself.

Beaudee
04-22-2008, 09:10 AM
I noticed on mine the air/bleed stand-off with the tubing was too low on the frame.Changed my rear end oil @ low milage and found a shit load of water in there not alone low fluid.I installed a redkneck custom air stand-off and changed the fluid.Cant find the thread on exactly what i did,but i raised the fitting that the tubing goes to.Running threw a puttle would get water in there.Maybe Doug can find the post,i think i installed a 1/4-18 NPT,female1/8-27NPT(which requires a 7/16 hole that the factory already has there) bushing in frame piece and screwed a taller riser(double ended hose barbed fitting )on it.I might have broke the original fitting,but deff. noticed it wasnt tall enough to keep the water out.Something to look @ when when your under there.I can take a pic if you want me to crawl under there.

Beaudee
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I remember,found a brass 1/4 inch pipe plug,drilled+tapped it 1/8-27NPT and installed a 1 1/2X 1 1/12 double barbed hose fitting in it.In the pick the fitting in the channel is sticking above the the frame piece 1 1/2 inches where the stock plastic piece of shit that was broke or i broke it was almost flush @ the inside swallowing water in the channel.Found the fittings @ Turner Hardware(Ace) in Farmers Branch.

dboat
04-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Sure its not the mechanic throwin B.S. in there to drill oil on your wallet:Seems like low milage to have metal chunks.You dont have a teenager with the keys do ya:tongue:Hard to find a trustworthy mechanic.Good luck with it.:tu:Might have been from factory with ball peen assembly,pissed off union worker on a friday.My truck has 42K,which is 42K 1/4 miles no problems.I beat the shit out of it and no problems.Open it up and look urself.

yes, the work wouldnt even be done at the original place that brought it to my attention..in fact, they did recommend someone. It doesnt get beat up, except by me. I dont really want to open it up in my garage. I would prefer to take this kind of problem somewhere else to get it done.