PDA

View Full Version : Fuel saving vehicles drawing a premium

L8 APEX
04-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I like many have been looking around for a more efficient set of wheels. People are taking advantage of the market and are spiking the prices. My neighbor is a manager at a Honda dealer. He said they are getting sticker for their cars now..
I looked on eBay and used scooters are drawing new prices. Smart cars care bringing near 20K plus!

On the other hand I can't give away my diesel or Lightning... It is amazing what the price of gas can do to the value of your vehicle.

slick-svt
04-25-2008, 11:43 PM
I was scoping out the hail sales but I don't drive long distance everyday so car payment out weighs fuel cost....for now..:icon_eek:

Mika
04-26-2008, 09:00 AM
My buddy is a Mercedes Benz/Smart car technician at Park Place in Dallas. I'll ask him what the Smart cars are going for. I'm pretty sure they're asking/getting sticker. They start around $12k, up to $17k with all the goodies. I do know that there's a waiting list for Smart cars. Somewhere along the lines of 9-11 months last I heard from him.

Mika

mikelemoine
04-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Whats a smart car? I've never heard of one.

dboat
04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Whats a smart car? I've never heard of one.

http://www.smartusa.com/

Dana

slick-svt
04-26-2008, 04:20 PM
http://www.smartusa.com/

Dana
I've been seeing more of these lately, they drive'em from home straight to the golf course and then play 18 hole and drive'em home

dboat
04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I've been seeing more of these lately, they drive'em from home straight to the golf course and then play 18 hole and drive'em home

saw one here yesterday.. they along with a new car coming here are going to be very popular.. theres a new car from Europe coming here that gets 150-200 mpg on diesel..no new special technology either..

Dana

Beaudee
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
The toyota yaris is the best bang for the buck in my book cause the room.http://magazine.avtoindex.com/images/forum/2004/toyota_yaris_2005.jpg 14grand out the door and gets about 40mpg..I dont think that price applies to the 4 door. http://www.flickr.com/photos/haizalnernie/154715082/

Mika
04-27-2008, 09:29 AM
My dad got an '06 Corolla w/ auto(only option, no power windows/locks, etc) for $13,8 out the door. Stickered at $15,4. I drove it mostly city, and the time I was on the highway I was doing 90. I still got 30 mpg. The Corolla's gotten to be pretty big for a smalll car. Still not a Crown Vic or anything like that, but still a decent sized car.

Mika

Silver_2000
04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I saw this really cool car the other day. It looked really comfortable, roomy, sporty and it was getting about 25 mpg on the highway. I think its a Toyota

http://images.quickblogcast.com/70636-63044/2008_gs_460_07_500.jpg
:evil:evil

Sonicblue03
04-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I saw this really cool car the other day. It looked really comfortable, roomy, sporty and it was getting about 25 mpg on the highway. I think its a Toyota

My 4door Caddy gets about 24 on the highway at 70 mph and is still fairly quick, but there is really nice all around quality in those "toyotas". :tu:

dboat
04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
My 4door Caddy gets about 24 on the highway at 70 mph and is still fairly quick, but there is really nice all around quality in those "toyotas". :tu:

I got a Caddy too.. that gets 25 mpg on the hwy... and its AWD too..

L8 APEX
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM
25mpg is not good car economy by 4 dollar a gallon standards. Closer to 40 is what we are going to have to be driving. That will bring our fuel costs down to about what they were 3-4 years ago.

Sonicblue03
04-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree that 25mpg isn't that good but I could be driving a Lightning.:tex If I found something that gets a legit 40 mpg and I could actually force myself to drive it I would be all over it. With my job I probably drive more than the average person so I think I am going to seriously start looking for something better for work purposes only. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on what they think is the best overall buy right now....... looks, mpg, comfort, price, etc.

L8 APEX
04-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I heard the Toyota Yaris is the best bargain for economy right now.

Silver_2000
04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
25mpg is not good car economy by 4 dollar a gallon standards. Closer to 40 is what we are going to have to be driving. That will bring our fuel costs down to about what they were 3-4 years ago.

If economy is the only concern then we will all be riding mopeds

The reality is that few if any cars at any price REALLY get 40 mpg

Then what happens when gas hit 6 a gallon - will you be looking for a 60 mpg car ?

L8 APEX
04-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I think any of the 6spd LSx GM vehicles can squeeze out good economy. I regularly got 22mpg driving like I dis in mine. I could do 28+ on the highway it would do 100mph at 2K rpm.

If fuel gets to 6$ we will be on mopeds:tex

Mika
04-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. Economy, "fun to drive" factor, status quo, etc. Cant' remember if the Golf TDI or the Jetta TDI got upwards of 50+ mpg(real world). With those cars that get really good mileage, the fun factor goes down. Corolla, Yaris are boring to drive, but they're cheap A to B transportation.

Mika

L8 APEX
04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
The problem is the TDI's are diesels and diesel is skyrocketing in price. I think they get about 40mpg. 5 days a week I can use a roller skate. I'll save the weekends for hauling or riding toys.

Mika
04-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Am I incorrect in saying that diesel is cheaper to reform than gasoline? Why is diesel so expensive? Is it "just 'cuz they can"? Meh, you either sacrifice fun for economy or vice versa.

Mika

wesman
04-27-2008, 04:43 PM

The 7 series gets 26-27 mpg on the highway. Even at 90 it gets 20mpg on the highway....pretty much ran 90 al the way to baton rouge and back and still averaged 20 mpg.

There's more to it than gas mileage IMO.....

--wes

Mika
04-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Cadillac CTS-V gets around 26 mpg on the highway as well. Agreed on the "more to it than mileage".

Mika

gbgary
04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
corvette gets 29 highway and is selling for well below sticker right now. insurance is very reasonable too. :rolleyes:

TP Derrick D
04-27-2008, 11:24 PM
thinking about buying my wife's Lexus GS 300 when I go back to work and use it as a daily since I sold my daily when I found out I would be off so long. That way she can get a new one, I'll have a 1 female owner,well cared for car that I know the history of and she won't get ripped by the dealer on a trade-in.

wesman
04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
thinking about buying my wife's Lexus GS 300 when I go back to work and use it as a daily since I sold my daily when I found out I would be off so long. That way she can get a new one, I'll have a 1 female owner,well cared for car that I know the history of and she won't get ripped by the dealer on a trade-in.

"buying" your wifes car from her??? That seems a bit odd.

--wes

L8 APEX
04-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Some houses run a his and hers budgets. Whatever works:tu:

wesman
04-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Yeah, I guess. Maybe I need to look into that :tex:tex

--wes

projlightning
04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
So, what's the story with flex fuel vehicles?

*edit*
Just found this....
Will E85 Save Me Money?

At its current price per gallon, E85 doesn't save you money, and it might cost you more. E85 typically sells for 10 to 30 cents less per gallon than gasoline, depending on your region. However, E85 produces 72 percent as much energy per gallon as gasoline, so you burn more of it per mile.

For example, the flex-fuel Chevrolet Impala equipped with a 3.5-liter V-6 engine gets an EPA-estimated 23/31 mpg (city/highway) on gasoline and 16/21 mpg when burning E85. The acceleration is pretty much the same, but the car's range is shortened. In other words, you'll be filling the tank more often when using E85.

Do the math and you'll discover that E85 must be priced roughly 28 percent less than gas just to break even. For example, if gasoline is $3 per gallon, E85 would have to be priced below $2.16 per gallon.

tiffo60
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM

--wes

if you did that you would have to repo the 745i from the wifey:icon_mrgreen:

toddwarren
04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Some of these high mileage cars look like death traps to me!

Nothing like getting rear ended, or hit on the side by someone driving an

Excursion getting 5 miles per while you are dying getting 40 miles

per gallon!

This has happened before around 1973 when fast cars died and

Detroit started making the ugliest, more fuel efficient pieces of crap you

have ever seen.

Dont make any snap decisions is my advice to you younger guys on

the board!

BC Lightning
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
So, what's the story with flex fuel vehicles?

*edit*
Just found this....
Will E85 Save Me Money?

At its current price per gallon, E85 doesn't save you money, and it might cost you more. E85 typically sells for 10 to 30 cents less per gallon than gasoline, depending on your region. However, E85 produces 72 percent as much energy per gallon as gasoline, so you burn more of it per mile.

For example, the flex-fuel Chevrolet Impala equipped with a 3.5-liter V-6 engine gets an EPA-estimated 23/31 mpg (city/highway) on gasoline and 16/21 mpg when burning E85. The acceleration is pretty much the same, but the car's range is shortened. In other words, you'll be filling the tank more often when using E85.

Do the math and you'll discover that E85 must be priced roughly 28 percent less than gas just to break even. For example, if gasoline is $3 per gallon, E85 would have to be priced below $2.16 per gallon.

I filled up 3 tanks of E85 in my Tahoe, I went from about 370-380 total miles per tankwith 87 octane to 260-270 with E85

I would have to fill up three times with E85 just to match the two tanks of 87

Not to mention the price of food, i.e. corn to make the E85

Also the decrease in power, you would give it gas, and my tahoe didnt want to go anywhere, felt like it was sitting still

SILVER2000SVT
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
If you want a fuel efficient car get late 80's import. I had an 87 Nissan Sentra that got 38 mpg on the highway. I also had two late 80's Honda's that were plenty powerful for daily driving and would get 33 mpg. Why is it that these new imports two decades later are less fuel efficient and aren't any more powerful?

I know newer cars have more safety equipment, but a couple of hundred more pounds shouldn't be that much of a detriment to fuel efficiency especially on the hwy, it just doesn't make sense.

L8 APEX
04-28-2008, 01:01 PM
E85 is the fuel of the Devil!

Sonicblue03
04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
E85 is the fuel of the Devil!

Does that mean you have an E85 vehicle Terry? :evil

Sonicblue03
04-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I am checking out some corollas, civics, and the focus pretty soon. Probably buy one that's fairly new. It's a tax write off for me and I think I could save a good amount in fuel costs as much as I drive. They all get about 26/35 mpg.

TXLIGHTNING
04-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I heard the Toyota Yaris is the best bargain for economy right now. A buddy of mine picked one up from the local dealership, he seems to be very happy with it.

03'svtlight
04-29-2008, 12:13 AM
I like many have been looking around for a more efficient set of wheels. People are taking advantage of the market and are spiking the prices. My neighbor is a manager at a Honda dealer. He said they are getting sticker for their cars now..
I looked on eBay and used scooters are drawing new prices. Smart cars care bringing near 20K plus!

On the other hand I can't give away my diesel or Lightning... It is amazing what the price of gas can do to the value of your vehicle.

Here's a fuel saver you might have abit of interest in Terry. 2005 Focus. 57k miles in Miami. Good title, just needs a key since its a repo. Sale date is May 9th. :cool:

03LightningRocks
04-29-2008, 01:31 AM

--wes

This would be the only way I would ever consider getting married again. We both sign prenuptials. We each would have our own accounts. Then we would have a household account that we each deposit an equal share into for household expenses. I buy what the hell I want with my money..she buys what the hell she wants with hers. I give her no shit...and she gives me no shit.

Hmmmmm...I'm gonna be single a long time.:icon_eek:

dboat
04-29-2008, 07:56 AM
This would be the only way I would ever consider getting married again. We both sign prenuptials. We each would have our own accounts. Then we would have a household account that we each deposit an equal share into for household expenses. I buy what the hell I want with my money..she buys what the hell she wants with hers. I give her no shit...and she gives me no shit.

Hmmmmm...I'm gonna be single a long time.:icon_eek:

Actually, probably not.. you might surprised to meet a woman who feels the same way as you... just remember it cuts both ways..

Dana

dboat
04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
If you want a fuel efficient car get late 80's import. I had an 87 Nissan Sentra that got 38 mpg on the highway. I also had two late 80's Honda's that were plenty powerful for daily driving and would get 33 mpg. Why is it that these new imports two decades later are less fuel efficient and aren't any more powerful?

I know newer cars have more safety equipment, but a couple of hundred more pounds shouldn't be that much of a detriment to fuel efficiency especially on the hwy, it just doesn't make sense.

it would make a difference.. the incremental weight gain has been a lot over the years, plus they keep making them a bit larger every year too.

03LightningRocks
04-29-2008, 11:15 AM
it would make a difference.. the incremental weight gain has been a lot over the years, plus they keep making them a bit larger every year too.

I bet the chase for higher H.P. has caused some of the loss in mileage also. Back when foreign imports where first showing up as high mileage vehicles, they would toodle along at full throttle doing around 80 MPH. 0-60 was measured in minutes.:rll:

dboat
04-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I bet the chase for higher H.P. has caused some of the loss in mileage also. Back when foreign imports where first showing up as high mileage vehicles, they would toodle along at full throttle doing around 80 MPH. 0-60 was measured in minutes.:rll:

true true.. my old Mazda truck would max out at around 85 or so.. that was a very solid truck for me..

L8 APEX
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Yep, everyone is making 250-450hp. You have to burn more fuel to get more HP.

03LightningRocks
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
true true.. my old Mazda truck would max out at around 85 or so.. that was a very solid truck for me..

My ex father in law had one of those when I first met my ex wife in 1979. He drove the "Holy Jebus" out of that little truck. It wouldn't quit working. He even used it to do a handy man type business, hauling all kinds of crap around. That darned truck could run forever on a cup of gas. I used to feel like I could get out and run along beside it sometimes...LOL. That thing was slow but steady.

dboat
04-29-2008, 05:02 PM
My ex father in law had one of those when I first met my ex wife in 1979. He drove the "Holy Jebus" out of that little truck. It wouldn't quit working. He even used it to do a handy man type business, hauling all kinds of crap around. That darned truck could run forever on a cup of gas. I used to feel like I could get out and run along beside it sometimes...LOL. That thing was slow but steady.

+1

WA 2 FST
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
So who wants to dump their low-mileage, mint condition Lightning? I'll buy it at 60-70cents on the dollar, so you can go get a fuel mizer.

Fortunately for me, I just don't put a lot of miles on anything I drive... that's what working at home/close to home will do. So I'm lucky.

TP Derrick D
04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
"buying" your wifes car from her??? That seems a bit odd.

--wes

No, not odd, smart, she paid every penny of the $48,000+ for it. We don't share all expenses or have joint accounts. We want it like that, so I'll give her what Sewell say is trade-in and she use it for down payment on a new one. She didn't pay 1 cent for my L or my Mustang...odd is husbands paying for everything their wife owns...then if there happens to be a split he lose that plus whatever else she sucker him out of.... been down that road when I was young & dumb...now we're older & smarter and we like the what's mine is mine and we got "this" together law..

L8 APEX
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
That is the grip! You tha man Derrick!:bows

TP Derrick D
04-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Some of these high mileage cars look like death traps to me!

Nothing like getting rear ended, or hit on the side by someone driving an

Excursion getting 5 miles per while you are dying getting 40 miles

per gallon!

This has happened before around 1973 when fast cars died and

Detroit started making the ugliest, more fuel efficient pieces of crap you

have ever seen.

Dont make any snap decisions is my advice to you younger guys on

the board!

Yep, sure you're right!!! Vegas, Pinto's,Mavericks,Colt's, Mustang II's, all the AMC cars,(Pacers,Gremlins,Javelins )damn they were ugly!! Then the foreign crap start pouring in ..Civics, Renaults, Datsuns...all junky matchboxes

TP Derrick D
04-29-2008, 09:41 PM

Just read this Terry,
Thats what we do, we were both in our mid-late 30's when we got married 12 years ago. It was my 2nd, her first, but we had both been down the other road. We share "home expenses(utilities, mortgage,big furniture etc) but buy your own car, clothes(except gifts)even some home furniture...I bought all 3 big screens, she bought some woman-ey stuff( flower pictures, "cute" lil tables...
it works out believe me, not one arguement about late car payment, you spending too much, what happened to all the money in the account... plus my wife is high maintenance...she likes expensive crap I wouldn't pay that much for, like $300+ for a Dooney-Burke purse, shopping at Foley's & Dillards weekly,about 150 pairs of expensive shoes, Lexus & Caddies....you want it, you pay for it....

L8 APEX
04-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Good deal, I have seen a lot of arrangements and they can all work. Some folks mate like ducks and everything is 100% community. 300 isn't bad for a purse. Be glad she doesn't have a Louis Vuitton fetish, those start in the thousand dollar range:eek:.

mikelemoine
04-29-2008, 11:10 PM
My wife and I do the same thing, we each have our own accounts and share expenses. Keeps it simple and neither one of us have to worry about what the other is spending or overdrafting an account if we both decide to splurge at the same time. :eek2: Only downside is we both waste too much on crap we probably don't need. Guess it all works out ok, we both work hard and have money put in savings automatically. We can pizz the leftover cash without doing too much damage....

03LightningRocks
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I have stories about two new cars...neither is a "High Dollar" variety. My daughter just dumped her 2003 mustang GT as a trade and bought a Sportage. It's the 4 cylinder version and is suppose to get 21 mpg. Not really a high mileage vehicle using 40 as the mpg scale, but almost double what she got in her mustang. I guess perspective plays a part. It was almost 800 bucks more than it was going for in Feb. and none of the dealers would budge on the price.

My brother bought a 2007 Ford Fusion about a year ago. He drove it to Houston over the weekend and says he got 31 MPG. He has been getting around 21 around town.

:ron: