PDA

View Full Version : Metco Lower Pre Load Adjustment?

TXLIGHTNING
05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
What is a safe pre load adjustment for the metco lowers?

dboat
05-05-2008, 06:01 PM

pre load? I just had mine installed.. so I have no idea there was preload..

Dana

Mark #2
05-05-2008, 06:08 PM

No idea on safe, adjusted Sixpipes and mine at none with the truck on the ground.
I would say measure the drive shaft angle and adjust for what angle you would like, some negative angle is desirable I believe.

03LightningRocks
05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
No idea on safe, adjusted Sixpipes and mine at none with the truck on the ground.
I would say measure the drive shaft angle and adjust for what angle you would like, some negative angle is desirable I believe.

It's been awhile since I messed with mine but I thought I had read somewhere that they don't recommend using their links to adjust pinion angle.

I started mine out with just a little preload....and I mean just a turn. Then I launched the truck at the track. Then I tightened them a little bit more and did it again...wash-rinse-repeat until I felt like I was getting about all I could from them. Quite frankly, they seemed to work well no matter how much load I had on them...just so I had some. I did try an experiment with loading one side more than the other to get the truck to launch straight instead of torquing up on one side in the back. We actually had some success in doing this. I broke the bolt(sheared it in half) on the passenger side, a couple races later and I always wondered if it was caused by having one side loaded more than the other. Now I have them both set the same.

TXLIGHTNING
05-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I got them on this morning at my buddies shop. Boy what a pain. We had to re route the exhaust :flaming: they sent me the wrong U bolts, 2 1/2" instead of 3" :flaming:. But after running around town gathering the right parts we got them on. I tried to leave an equal amount of thread on each side like Terry told me, and tightened them up to hand tight. Then I gave them about half a turn. I could tell a difference the minute I pulled out and gave it some gas :d. They seem to work great.

03LightningRocks
05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I got them on this morning at my buddies shop. Boy what a pain. We had to re route the exhaust :flaming: they sent me the wrong U bolts, 2 1/2" instead of 3" :flaming:. But after running around town gathering the right parts we got them on. I tried to leave an equal amount of thread on each side like Terry told me, and tightened them up to hand tight. Then I gave them about half a turn. I could tell a difference the minute I pulled out and gave it some gas :d. They seem to work great.

They are great, aren't they? I forgot how different it was without them until reading this thread. It is the next best thing to a 4 link set up...IMHO.

Mark #2
05-06-2008, 07:34 PM
They are great, aren't they? I forgot how different it was without them until reading this thread. It is the next best thing to a 4 link set up...IMHO.
It is a 4 link IMO.
There are 4 separate attachment points.
2 at the axle in line and 2 at the front eye bolt in line, and the lower link is adjustable in length.