PDA

View Full Version : Corvette Z06 vs Nissan GTR

dboat
05-09-2008, 07:32 AM
I am just now seeing some of the info on the "Skyline" GTR that is coming to the USA.. this thing looks to be the real deal.. sticker price will be around $71k. It is all wheel drive (which is great for launching and us winter bound guys) has traction control, launch control and all kinds of neat gadgets on it. Has a usuable back seat, etc etc.. yes its a ricer but 0-60 in 3.2 seconds with a top speed of 198 mph has got to get your attention. You either have to go with a Z06 to get this kind of performance or get a regular Vette and spend the same amount of cash in upgrades to get there.

Not sure the timing is good now with gas prices being what they are, but I am sure the initial interest from the import crowd will keep the dealers busy for a year or so.

Anyone else here looked at these cars?

Dana

Sonicblue03
05-09-2008, 08:12 AM
They seem to be pretty bad a**. Call it a ricer but that's some serious performance. I would be interested in one if it depreciates in the first couple years..... Can't and wouldn't pay 71K for a new one. My friend just picked up a skyline. It's a little weird, first time I have rode in a right hand drive vehicle.

Mika
05-09-2008, 08:43 AM
It's a badass car no doubt. The dealers are greedy though and have added stupid markups to 'em($20k-30k). For that price, I'd take a Z06 first. Heck, I'd take a 'Vette before I'd take a GTR simply due to the fact that we rarely see ice/snow around here(what, 2 days out of the year?). Regardless, it's a very capable car. They had a race spec'd GTR run the Nuremburgring around 7:25, while the ZR-1 Vette ran a 7:4X. GM has promised to make the ZR-1 King of the 'Ring though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/10/c...v-spec-amused/ (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/10/corvette-zr-1-ring-times-in-low-7-40s-gt-r-v-spec-amused/)

Mika

dboat
05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh, I wouldnt pay any upcharge on them either.. just wait a year or so and see what happens..

Dana

GoldLS1
05-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh, I wouldnt pay any upcharge on them either.. just wait a year or so and see what happens..

Dana

Exactly what a guy at my work is doing....

ZeusSVT
05-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Dana

I'm thinking it will probably be more than a year, do you know how many skyline enthusiasts there are in this country waiting to get their hands on those things.....i'd go with the ..or so.

dboat
05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking it will probably be more than a year, do you know how many skyline enthusiasts there are in this country waiting to get their hands on those things.....i'd go with the ..or so.

yes but with a big upcharge and gas at $4 per gallon, we shall see. But if it takes a little longer, thats ok.. I am in no big hurry. I have a Ford Lightning. :tu:

ZeusSVT
05-09-2008, 09:35 PM
yes but with a big upcharge and gas at $4 per gallon, we shall see. But if it takes a little longer, thats ok.. I am in no big hurry. I have a Ford Lightning. :tu:

Ha ha, yeah that should hold me over for a while too...I have been getting a itch lately though to switch daily drivers...just haven't found the right car yet. :icon_mrgreen:

wesman
05-10-2008, 12:43 AM
They seem to be pretty bad a**. Call it a ricer but that's some serious performance. I would be interested in one if it depreciates in the first couple years..... Can't and wouldn't pay 71K for a new one. My friend just picked up a skyline. It's a little weird, first time I have rode in a right hand drive vehicle.

So who is this friend??? There are approx 5 right hand drive GT-r's as of now, 3 of them are at the ring as test vehicles.......your friend must have a lot of pull or be one serious badass:tex:tex

--wes

ZeusSVT
05-10-2008, 01:53 AM
So who is this friend??? There are approx 5 right hand drive GT-r's as of now, 3 of them are at the ring as test vehicles.......your friend must have a lot of pull or be one serious badass:tex:tex

--wes

Did he mean an old skyline....or the new one?? I was wondering the same thing myself when I first read it. I just went ahead and convinced myself that he was meaning an old one. :cool:

kirkmears
05-10-2008, 11:38 AM
this is the 4th time i've typed this response so it keeps getting shorter:bs

saw both cars at Dallas autoshow last month. both cars are pimp. buddy and i joked about going in 1/2s on the GTR, but we knew it would be an all out race for one of us to crash it first!

all taken w/ my phone :( and are uncompressed
ZR1 (http://kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/Dallas-ZR1.jpg) photo
GTR (http://kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/Dallas-GTR-Dash1.jpg) steering wheel photo
360 degree GTR MP4 video (http://kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/Dallas-GTR.mp4) Vista users might have to right click, save as to view.
Use VLC to view if you don't have Vista
If anyone here buys a GTR, please take me for a ride...i'll even pay for your fuel!:burnout:
:bows speed rules!

ZeusSVT
05-10-2008, 05:39 PM
If anyone here buys a GTR, please take me for a ride...i'll even pay for your fuel!:burnout:
:bows speed rules!

+1, I'll buy you a whole tank...:icon_mrgreen: :evil

Sonicblue03
05-11-2008, 03:07 PM

--wes

Lol..... It's a 1997 GTR. Still super nice and will be at SEMA with the ENKEI guys. He just received about $30,000 worth of parts for it from sponsors but the car is pretty much stock right now. If you want to check it out he has some pics at www.superior-motorsports.com (http://www.superior-motorsports.com) These are some of my friends cars around Ada, OK. I haven't put pics of mine up yet but will soon. Sorry don't know why the link doesn't work.

WA 2 FST
05-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Dana,

It is a very cool car, and has my attention. I'm not in the market right now, but who knows when I might be again, so I keep my eyes out.

Frankly, I don't care what it is, if it runs the times they claim and is durable. I would assume that with a little electronic tuning, the turbos could produce more boost (and still be safe) and it will hit 0-60 in 3.0 ... without any hassle. AWD is amazing.

From what I've seen the 1/4 mile times are right in line with the Z06 and Viper, although the trap speeds are lower, which means it will not hang with either from a highway roll-on (again, nothing some minor and relatively inexpensive tweaking couldn't solve).

Looks like a very cool car.

dboat
05-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Dana,

It is a very cool car, and has my attention. I'm not in the market right now, but who knows when I might be again, so I keep my eyes out.

Frankly, I don't care what it is, if it runs the times they claim and is durable. I would assume that with a little electronic tuning, the turbos could produce more boost (and still be safe) and it will hit 0-60 in 3.0 ... without any hassle. AWD is amazing.

From what I've seen the 1/4 mile times are right in line with the Z06 and Viper, although the trap speeds are lower, which means it will not hang with either from a highway roll-on (again, nothing some minor and relatively inexpensive tweaking couldn't solve).

Looks like a very cool car.

Wes, just for fun, I am going to contact the local dealer and see if they will sell one for sticker.. if they will, I might just have to make the move away from the L.. but only if its for sticker or less.. :rolleyes:

Dana

WA 2 FST
05-11-2008, 09:56 PM
If they will, then I would drive both the Z06 and the GTR before making the purchase... but the point is that the car is impressive enough to drive. I would never have considered a Japanese sports-car on my list before this one.

But, like the Z06, it is a great deal for the performance you get...even at $70+k.

Keep us informed! :)

dboat
05-11-2008, 10:00 PM
If they will, then I would drive both the Z06 and the GTR before making the purchase... but the point is that the car is impressive enough to drive. I would never have considered a Japanese sports-car on my list before this one.

But, like the Z06, it is a great deal for the performance you get...even at $70+k.

Keep us informed! :)

The only reason I would consider the Nissan over the Vette is that they are only importing 1500 of them.. this year at least.. long term value might be a bit better with the GTR.. also, back seat and more trunk room.. you could actually use this thing as a daily driver, although I wouldnt.. and as I stated before with AWD, it would handle better in bad weather. Now, what color would I want it in? hmmmm

Dana

TP Derrick D
05-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Saw it on the show called Supercars Exposed on Speed ch. Was pretty quick for only 480hp, but not that attractive to me.

dboat
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Saw it on the show called Supercars Exposed on Speed ch. Was pretty quick for only 480hp, but not that attractive to me.

Saw it there too and that is what first attracted me.. my wife isnt too fond of the looks either but her issue is the black bumper up front.. so she tells me, can you get that painted? of course you can, I told her..

Dana

rickgig
05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
From what I've read this thing is over 500HP and I've also heard the block is capable of alot more.

My problem is getting in and out! Okay I am not as young as I used to be... I wanted a Viper until I went out in one a few times. The Vette is perfect for me and hopefully the GTR will be the same.

dboat
05-14-2008, 08:34 PM
From what I've read this thing is over 500HP and I've also heard the block is capable of alot more.

My problem is getting in and out! Okay I am not as young as I used to be... I wanted a Viper until I went out in one a few times. The Vette is perfect for me and hopefully the GTR will be the same.

I dont think the HP is at 500.. at least not at the rear wheels.. but I am thinking its got to be easier to get in and out of this than a Vette too.

Dana

wesman
05-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont think the HP is at 500.. at least not at the rear wheels.. but I am thinking its got to be easier to get in and out of this than a Vette too.

Dana

It's rated at 473 currently, Nissan says it will be 480 officially by release time. This is at between 10-11.5 psi depending on weather conditions etc.

As far as fitting in it, the seats are HEAVILY bolstered and the word on the street is if you're over 200ish it's gonna be a tight fit depending on how you wear your weight.

As far as the motor, it's completely forged from what I understand, so throw a few more lbs of boost and this thing will be 500+ at the wheels with no trouble at all.

--wes

dboat
05-15-2008, 05:40 AM
It's rated at 473 currently, Nissan says it will be 480 officially by release time. This is at between 10-11.5 psi depending on weather conditions etc.

As far as fitting in it, the seats are HEAVILY bolstered and the word on the street is if you're over 200ish it's gonna be a tight fit depending on how you wear your weight.

As far as the motor, it's completely forged from what I understand, so throw a few more lbs of boost and this thing will be 500+ at the wheels with no trouble at all.

--wes

So I might have to do a seat swap then.. hmmm

Dana

dboat
05-15-2008, 05:42 AM
the Z06 was the real first affordable supercar.. now comes the GTR... wonder if we are going to see more and more of this from other manufacturers? affordable supercars. I am still leaning towards the GTR just due to its higher level of flexibility. Although the seating issue has me concerned.

Dana

WA 2 FST
05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Dana,

I'm afraid this is very wishful thinking on your part. With gas prices going nuts, the overall economy teetering on a recession, and all the "greenies" going nuts over the environment... I'm afraid we're getting ready to see the late-70's, early -80s all over again from the auto manufacturers.

I'm thinking the market will shrink. We're fortunate to get the GTR, Z06, ZR1 and Viper right now. The new high-end Camaro? Hopefully it will be produced, but I bet it won't be around long either.

What you can bank on is picking up a nice sports car on the slightly used market.

If the economy really goes south, you may be able to pick up a new car at a great price as well.

But as far as more new offerings coming out on the market, I don't see it (even though I know the GTR is new to us) happening. I think we're seeing some cool stuff now b/c manufacturers were already in production and couldn't pull back in time. IMHO, the ZR1 would not have made it into production had the current state of things been present 2 years ago, and its possible the same could be said for the American-version of the GTR.

Buy now while there is cool stuff out there. We will most likely see a downturn in performance vehicles within the next 4-5 years.

Ohmsby
05-15-2008, 09:11 AM
wise words Wes

dboat
05-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Dana,

I'm afraid this is very wishful thinking on your part. With gas prices going nuts, the overall economy teetering on a recession, and all the "greenies" going nuts over the environment... I'm afraid we're getting ready to see the late-70's, early -80s all over again from the auto manufacturers.

I'm thinking the market will shrink. We're fortunate to get the GTR, Z06, ZR1 and Viper right now. The new high-end Camaro? Hopefully it will be produced, but I bet it won't be around long either.

What you can bank on is picking up a nice sports car on the slightly used market.

If the economy really goes south, you may be able to pick up a new car at a great price as well.

But as far as more new offerings coming out on the market, I don't see it (even though I know the GTR is new to us) happening. I think we're seeing some cool stuff now b/c manufacturers were already in production and couldn't pull back in time. IMHO, the ZR1 would not have made it into production had the current state of things been present 2 years ago, and its possible the same could be said for the American-version of the GTR.

Buy now while there is cool stuff out there. We will most likely see a downturn in performance vehicles within the next 4-5 years.

I agree on the comparison to the 70's and 80's, except that the technology is much greater now and the ability to make change to the vehicles to accomodate higher gas prices is there too.. Lets revisit this topic in a year or so and see where we are. Some people thought back then that muscle cars were dead yet here we are with cars that would smoke them and they arent even muscle cars.. the price of gasoline will stabilize over the long haul again and we will learn to adjust, then compensation will rise over time to make gasoline expense back to where it was about a year ago or so.. well that is my crystal ball future..

Dana

WA 2 FST
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Dana, I totally agree. Everyone thought things were dead and then Ford came out with the EFI 5.0 which, IMHO, was the rebirth of the muscle car, pushing GM to build the LT1 and LS1 motors... and here we are. :)

My point is that only for the short-term (next 5-10 years) we could see a downturn in performance-oriented builds/sales. Technology, as you mentioned, continues to stay out in front which is a good thing.

I'm still waiting for the market to really drop on these L's, and I will pick up another one. My son wants one, and he's saving a lot of hard-earned $$. We'll see.

dboat
05-15-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm still waiting for the market to really drop on these L's,

Dont say that.. I will need to sell mine if I get a GTR....:(

WA 2 FST
05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Hahaha... sorry. :)

SpeedyBolt
05-16-2008, 10:22 PM
looks like I'm going to have to ditch the Whipple on the Cobra and go turbo! Hell I thought 600+ whp would get it done but now I dont know. I am very impressed with the Performance Cars these days.

WA 2 FST
05-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh, I think 600rwhp does get it done, but its hard to compete 0-60, stoplight-to-stoplight with AWD.

But you're right... its very impressive what is coming out of the factory these days. My little LPE TT Z06 will have some trouble 0-60 with this car.

dboat
05-17-2008, 07:52 PM
As a side note. apparently, they were getting over 800hp out of the earlier versions with just a little tuning.. WOW

wesman
05-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah, the ECU has already been cracked and there are two standalone systems that work on the car that are already running.

--wes

dboat
05-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah, the ECU has already been cracked and there are two standalone systems that work on the car that are already running.

--wes

Wes, you have link to that?

Dana

wesman
05-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Haltech run....11.1@124.xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU_EUvR4RW4

--wes

dboat
05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Haltech run....11.1@124.xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU_EUvR4RW4

--wes
Wes, udaman.. thanks.. that GTR was haulin..

Dana

wesman
05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Keep in mind, that's just timing tweak and fuel maps.....boost is still stock. I see 10's easy once they can run a couple more psi.

Have you sourced any near you yet? I've found a couple locally but they all want 10-15k over MSRP.....which I'm not gonna do.

I jumped on the 350Z bandwagon back in early '02 and got it ASAP and dropped a lot of coin to make it like I wanted but the love for the car soon wained.....so I'm gonna approach this one a little differently and not settle , nor pay more than MSRP.

--wes

WA 2 FST
05-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Wes, I figured the local dealers were going to want 10-15k over MSRP. That stinks, although I understand why they're doing it...and they'll probably get it.

I would interested in one at sticker.

I totally agree with you about upping the boost just a little and it will be a high-10 second car on _stock_ tires. Shazam!!

wesman
05-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Wes, I figured the local dealers were going to want 10-15k over MSRP. That stinks, although I understand why they're doing it...and they'll probably get it.

I would interested in one at sticker.

I totally agree with you about upping the boost just a little and it will be a high-10 second car on _stock_ tires. Shazam!!

Well i know one of the dealers I have spoken with that wanted 15k over is only getting one allotment......and they still have it :nono:

--wes

L8 APEX
05-20-2008, 11:05 PM
It may be a good economy for stealing one of these cars. GM dealers are taking 10 grand off Z06's now. I guess they over produced them. I remember when they were 5-10K over sticker and rare in 06. Same with the legendary Ford GT once 10-15K over sticker then 10K plus below sticker... All of that was well before our recent depression.