PDA

View Full Version : Login and passwords

dboat
06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I was curious to see if anyone here uses any kind of special way to keep track of all the logins and passwords they have..

I have been keeping the email response in a personal folder but the number of them are getting too voluminous.. is there a better way?

Dana

Silver_2000
06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
be careful with any application that stores passwords for you

There have been a number of cases where the application gets compromised and malware is written to harvest the contents

many people set up tiered passwords

basic easy password - stuff that is not money related - a word - simple

Medium password - more important - but not $$$ - word plus numbers or special characters

Secure password - VERY secure long password - acronym or phrase with special characters or numbers in

I use a system of combinations of words and simply add numbers to the end if the passwords expire - most systems now have password retrieval so the important thing is to keep your email address up to date in the systems

a senior citizen customer of mine uses the first letter of bible phrases

other people use common words with numbers in place of letters
talonrocks becomes ta10nR0ck$

dboat
06-03-2008, 11:02 AM
be careful with any application that stores passwords for you

There have been a number of cases where the application gets compromised and malware is written to harvest the contents

many people set up tiered passwords

basic easy password - stuff that is not money related - a word - simple

Medium password - more important - but not $$$ - word plus numbers or special characters

Secure password - VERY secure long password - acronym or phrase with special characters or numbers in

I use a system of combinations of words and simply add numbers to the end if the passwords expire - most systems now have password retrieval so the important thing is to keep your email address up to date in the systems

a senior citizen customer of mine uses the first letter of bible phrases

other people use common words with numbers in place of letters
talonrocks becomes ta10nR0ck$

so you are recommending no specific application.. I do understand the tiered password concept and will move in that direction.. do you keep yours in Excel or Word or somewhere like that?

tiffo60
06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
i wouldnt keep them on the computer at all, if you cant remember them, maybe keep a file at the house or something

Silver_2000
06-03-2008, 11:23 AM
so you are recommending no specific application.. I do understand the tiered password concept and will move in that direction.. do you keep yours in Excel or Word or somewhere like that?

No I just remember them

The important ones I use often enough to remember - some of the obscure but important websites I sometimes create a favorite and put a password reminder in the name of the favorite'

for example if you add this thread from Talon to your favorites - it will save as
"Login and passwords - TALON Club - Texas Area Lightning Owners North - Forums"

You could then rename it to "TALON Club Forums - pass = car name plus age " the favorite still works - I wouldnt put the whole password in there but you get the idea

dboat
06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
No I just remember them

The important ones I use often enough to remember - some of the obscure but important websites I sometimes create a favorite and put a password reminder in the name of the favorite'

for example if you add this thread from Talon to your favorites - it will save as
"Login and passwords - TALON Club - Texas Area Lightning Owners North - Forums"

You could then rename it to "TALON Club Forums - pass = car name plus age " the favorite still works - I wouldnt put the whole password in there but you get the idea

thanks.. might have to go that way..

dboat
07-25-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.washingtoncd.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=PASSWORD

What do you guys think of this program?