PDA

View Full Version : 1 Killed After Alleged Drunk Driver Plows Into Bike Race

Wht95Lightning
06-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Holy cow! :icon_eek:

My brother does a lot of road bike racing and I always worry about something like this happening.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362147,00.html

1 Killed After Alleged Drunk Driver Plows Into Bike Race

Tuesday, June 03, 2008
http://www.foxnews.com/images/376070/0_61_060308_CarCyclists.jpg (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362147,00.html#) AP

June 1: A car collides into cyclists participating in a race in Mexico's northern border city of Matamoros.

A car driven by an alleged drunken driver plowed into a bicycle race along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border Sunday, killing one cyclist and injuring 10 others.
Juan Campos was apparently drunk and had fallen asleep at the wheel before crashing into the race in Monterrey, Mexico (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362147,00.html#), police investigator Jose Alfredo Rodriguez said.
A photograph taken by a city official shows the horrifying moment of impact. The force of the collision sent bicyclists and equipment high into the air and Matamoros newspaper El Maņana described children crying, women shouting for help and men trying to lynch Campos before police arrived to arrest him.
Killed in the crash was Alejandro Alvarez, 37, of Monterrey.
Campos told police he was an American citizen from Brownsville, Texas (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362147,00.html#). The U.S. consulate could not immediately confirm that.
"We are looking into the incident in terms of whether American citizens were involved,'' consulate spokesman Todd Huizinga told the Associated Press.
The crash happened 15 minutes into the race along a highway between Playa Bagdad and Matamoros, authorities said.
A total of 452 cyclists were participating in the 21-mile race, which was canceled after the incident.

Click here to read the El Maņana report. (http://www.elmananadigital.com/html/inicio.html)
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

dboat
06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
They should have lynched him... to be drunk and then fall asleep.. then kill someone and injure 10 others?

wonder who got that picture.. amazing..

Dana

tiffo60
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM
They should have lynched him... to be drunk and then fall asleep.. then kill someone and injure 10 others?

wonder who got that picture.. amazing..

Dana

If he's in mexican jail Im sure hes being treated real nice:icon_mrgreen:

dboat
06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
If he's in mexican jail Im sure hes being treated real nice:icon_mrgreen:

I have little patience for this type of activity.. since the local folks were trying to do it, not sure how the prisoners will treat him either..

L8 APEX
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I call that bowling a strike:rll:

slick-svt
06-04-2008, 09:58 PM
There goes our mexican workforce....:D

99WhiteBeast
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
That's why I got into mountain biking. I had way to many close calls with cars not to mention rednecks throwing beer bottles or spittunes at me:flaming:

ThunderBolt
06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I think it's insane for bicycles to share the roadway with vehicles. I never understood it and never will...

99WhiteBeast
06-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I think it's insane for bicycles to share the roadway with vehicles. I never understood it and never will...

Legally they have the same rights as motorized vehicles if they are obeying the traffic laws.

Hell we may all be on bikes before its over with these damn gas prices:nono:

ThunderBolt
06-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Legally they have the same rights as motorized vehicles if they are obeying the traffic laws.

That's the part I don't understand! Why would you want to get on the road with all the crazy-ass drivers on the road?

99WhiteBeast
06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
That's the part I don't understand! Why would you want to get on the road with all the crazy-ass drivers on the road?

I hear ya. When I was riding road bikes actively it was well before everyone and their dog owned a cell phone. Now with that and the 'texting' craze it is insane to be out there.

ThunderBolt
06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
My point exactly!

99WhiteBeast
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Happened again here locally-sad:mad::(

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/689284.html

03LightningRocks
06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
When will folks learn You don't ride your bike in the middle of the street. Anyone remember being told by their mom to keep out of the street with their bikes? Guess mom was right again.

I have almost hit the spandex wearing bikers myself. Going along doing the speed limit. Come around a bend in the road and there they are. Going 30 MPH less than I am with their asses stuck up in the air and their silly ass looking penis shaped hats stuck on their heads, riding along as if they own the road. I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed a bicyclist almost cause accidents because motorists are trying to keep from hitting them.

A few years back my daughter and I were bored one day so while out driving made up a game we call "brick". How it works is you drive around town until you see a spandex wearing bicyclist. The first person to say "give me a brick" wins. Of coarse we never actually throw a brick at them. But it sure is fun to pretend.

ThunderBolt
06-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Happened again here locally-sad:mad::(

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/689284.html

From the looks of that picture ole Kenneth is getting a shot of reality. It really is a damn shame. I wonder if his Lawyer will blaime the cyclist?

charlie
06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Anyone remember being told by their mom to keep out of the street with their bikes? Guess mom was right again.

Nope. I remember getting the crap beat out of me (literally) for riding on the side walk.

The old man: " Bikes are for the street, the side walk, is for walking, dumb ass"

As I was steady getting hit in the head with broom handle. :icon_rolleyes:

Charlie

ThunderBolt
06-11-2008, 05:48 PM
:rll:

03LightningRocks
06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Nope. I remember getting the crap beat out of me (literally) for riding on the side walk.

The old man: " Bikes are for the street, the side walk, is for walking, dumb ass"

As I was steady getting hit in the head with broom handle. :icon_rolleyes:

Charlie

:rll::rll::rll: That was back in the old days when dads just looked for an excuse to open a can of whoopass. I had a friend who's dad used to walk behind him while he mowed the lawn. Every time he missed a spot by getting out of line, his dad would slap him on the back of the head.:rll: Me and some of the other kids in the neighborhood would hide and watch him mow the lawn for kicks. We thought that was just the funniest damn thing we ever saw. I sure wish you had lived in my neighborhood. Watching you get wacked in the head with a broom stick would have been alot funnier.:rll:

L8 APEX
06-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I was so poor I didn't have brakes on my bike. It is a miracle I didn't get hit by a car. It was a true test of Darwin's Theory. I learned to do full speed power slides and other jumps and tricks to avoid being hit by cars. I'd give anything to be able to watch and old video of half the stupid things I did:hammer:.

03LightningRocks
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I was so poor I didn't have brakes on my bike. It is a miracle I didn't get hit by a car. It was a true test of Darwin's Theory. I learned to do full speed power slides and other jumps and tricks to avoid being hit by cars. I'd give anything to be able to watch and old video of half the stupid things I did:hammer:.

I was so poor I didn't have brakes, had one wheel with no tire on it and only had a pedal on one side of my bike. I had to share a pair of shoes with my brother. I had the left shoe...he had the right shoe. :cool:

charlie
06-12-2008, 10:19 PM
:rll::rll::rll: That was back in the old days when dads just looked for an excuse to open a can of whoopass. I had a friend who's dad used to walk behind him while he mowed the lawn. Every time he missed a spot by getting out of line, his dad would slap him on the back of the head.:rll: Me and some of the other kids in the neighborhood would hide and watch him mow the lawn for kicks. We thought that was just the funniest damn thing we ever saw. I sure wish you had lived in my neighborhood. Watching you get wacked in the head with a broom stick would have been alot funnier.:rll:

Nope.... No pansy ass voyeurs in my neck of the woods.:eek:
Besides. The show would have only lasted till I was 15 and got tired of it, and payed his ass back. :tu:

jeff56
06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
When will folks learn You don't ride your bike in the middle of the street. .

The middle of the street, no, but to the right, yes.

That's the problem with this area - yeah, actually you do ride your bike in the street, and given certain limitations, cyclists have the same right to the road as vehicles. There's nothing that says you have to own a car to get around town - but that is the way the metroplex is set up and consequently the way most drivers act.

If nothing else, the rising gas costs will hopefully change our country's culture regarding transportation. Go to a waterpark sometime - we are a nation of fat asses - not overweight - straight up fat asses. Getting out on a bike once a while would do most of the country some good. :vomit:

ThunderBolt
06-15-2008, 12:38 PM
If nothing else, the rising gas costs will hopefully change our country's culture regarding transportation. Go to a waterpark sometime - we are a nation of fat asses - not overweight - straight up fat asses. Getting out on a bike once a while would do most of the country some good. :vomit:

That's fine. They just need to stay the hell off the road if they know what's good for them. The bike will always lose.

jeff56
06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I like your logic <cue the banjos>

Another approach would be to hold people accountable for driving while drunk or not paying proper attention to the responsibility of driving because they're texting, talking on their cell phones, putting on makeup or because they're driving too fast or simply won't be inconvenienced to slow down and pass at a safe time or in a safe manner. Coincidentally, all these things cause vehicle/vehicle accidents too, so we'd all be better off, not just the cyclists.

Two cyclists were killed in Grand Prairie a week ago today at 8 in the morning by a guy who'd been out all night drinking and most likely will show to have been drunk. Should they have stayed "the hell off the road" or should the person at fault have? Nothing like blaming the victim....

ThunderBolt
06-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think you see my point. Until alcohol, cell phones, ect is banned from the US people will be people. Why on earth would a cyclist want to put thenselves in that position? I love motorcylces, however I would never own one for the exact same reason.

L8 APEX
06-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Anyone between the curbs is fair game:evil

ZeusSVT
06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Anyone between the curbs is fair game:evil

Homeless guy....200 points. :icon_eek: Well wait, he was on the curb, does that count? :throw:

ThunderBolt
06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
:icon_lol:

jeff56
06-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I saw your point, but I perceived it in a poorer fashion than you probably meant it. I agree with you in that context, but how crappy is that? If you like to ride you bike, it shouldn't be too much to ask to be able to do that without getting run down by some drunk or just some idiot who can't be inconvenienced to slow or pass safely.

ThunderBolt
06-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I saw your point, but I perceived it in a poorer fashion than you probably meant it. I agree with you in that context, but how crappy is that? If you like to ride you bike, it shouldn't be too much to ask to be able to do that without getting run down by some drunk or just some idiot who can't be inconvenienced to slow or pass safely.

I 100% understand your point of view, but it's just not going to happen.

L8 APEX
06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Until stupid becomes a punishable offense your safety is in your own hands. I choose not to ride 2 wheelers around here anymore because of that fact. The texting, talking dummies wil take you out. I think two cops got rear ended by drunks on the highway last week alone...

ThunderBolt
06-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Until stupid becomes a punishable offense your safety is in your own hands. I choose not to ride 2 wheelers around here anymore because of that fact. The texting, talking dummies wil take you out. I think two cops got rear ended by drunks on the highway last week alone...

That about sums it up.

03LightningRocks
06-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I can't help but comment on the sense of entitlement so many folks seem to express these days. I have the right to do this...blah blah ...I have the right to do that...blah blah. Really??? Tell it to god after you get your silly ass killed exercising your right to be stupid.

ThunderBolt
06-15-2008, 04:56 PM
You are right. It's really that simple. Stay off the roads if you have any sence at all.

jeff56
06-15-2008, 05:47 PM
It's amazing what a difference in perspective will get you - the ability to ride your bicycle down the road and not wind up like the pair from Mansfield is a sense of entitlement, huh? Crazy....

L8 APEX
06-15-2008, 07:23 PM
My parents always told me to ride against traffic so at least I would see it coming.

ThunderBolt
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
My parents always told me to ride against traffic so at least I would see it coming.

lol! I have to say I've been told the same.

On a side note I decided to discuss this matter with my wife during Dinner. What a mistake that was!

jeff56
06-15-2008, 10:59 PM
On A Side Note I Decided To Discuss This Matter With My Wife During Dinner. What A Mistake That Was!

:icon_smile:

wesman
06-15-2008, 11:22 PM
There are bikers all over the roads leading into my neighborhood. They ride pretty much all the way down Lake Ridge Dr and then up through our neighborhood. they're startled me a bot when rounding a corner at 60 or so and there they are chilling in the middle of the street at 15mph.

Luckily I have a DD for the next year or so at least :evil

--wes

03LightningRocks
06-16-2008, 01:22 AM
It's amazing what a difference in perspective will get you - the ability to ride your bicycle down the road and not wind up like the pair from Mansfield is a sense of entitlement, huh? Crazy....

LOL...good night nurse...I don't believe bicyclists deserve to be run over :icon_eek:. I do believe that they don't belong on the road with motor vehicles. Furthermore...I believe this claim to have some sort of right to be on the road stems mostly from a sense of entitlement. Maybe I will change my mind when I see bicyclists having to register their rides and pay the fees the rest of us pay to be on the road .

03LightningRocks
06-16-2008, 01:26 AM

It's been awhile for me, but I seem to remember that being the general recommendation way back when.

Moonshine
06-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Furthermore...I believe this claim to have some sort of right to be on the road stems mostly from a sense of entitlement.

Actually, I believe it stems from the days when horses and bicycles were the primary modes of transportation, and the motor vehicles were the interlopers.

03LightningRocks
06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Actually, I believe it stems from the days when horses and bicycles were the primary modes of transportation, and the motor vehicles were the interlopers.

You may be right. Problem is, times have changed. Cars back then did what...6-12 miles and hour? Most roads were dirt and there were a lot less people using the roads back in the "good ole days". If gas keeps going up, we may get back to the old days. If that is the reasoning, it is flawed in many ways.

98Cobra
06-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I know that bikes are legally allowed on the roads, but to me I think it smacks of Look At Me Syndrome when I see someone riding on a street with a speed limit greated than 35 mph. Not only do you think you are The Shit, you dont mind holding everyone else the **** up so you can exercise - nevermind that you are doing it at rush hour, and that there are 1000 neighborhood streets nearby that you could use that you wouldnt be in everyones way.

I dont think you deserve to be mowed down by a drunk, but shit. I think Terry and others are just advocating some common sense here.

Silver_2000
06-18-2008, 07:45 AM
We all may be on bicycles soon

dboat
06-18-2008, 08:13 AM
We all may be on bicycles soon

I am going for the Vespa scooter first.. :eek::D

03LightningRocks
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I am going for the Vespa scooter first.. :eek::D\

I see your big ass on a Vespa and I will intentionally run you down.:nono:

dboat