PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trading off because of high fuel prices?

98Cobra
06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Let this website show you the REAL numbers. Then decide if the hit you are going to take trading off your truck or SUV will be made up for by the gas savings.

http://www.mpghead.com/

Silver_2000
06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
according to that in 3 years you save 4k going from 14mpg to 24

at 12k miles a year and $4 a gallon

03LightningRocks
06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Going from my F250 diesel to a 25 mpg car that uses gas would save me about 10K over 3 years time.

dboat
06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Going from my F250 diesel to a 25 mpg car that uses gas would save me about 10K over 3 years time.

Rocks, go for the Prius..

L8 APEX
06-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I have been looking into this myself. I made a little xls for it. I am thinking about find a fun crap car to drive around under 10 grand. At todays prices it would about pay for itself in 2.5 years. On the flip side if I continue to drive the diesel I will have spent enough money in diesel to have paid for a little car in about two years... My averages were 14mpg truck and 28mpg car... I seem to drive about 20K a year...
See how my xls attaches.

L8 APEX
06-11-2008, 06:52 PM
If you drive more or AS the price of fuel goes up the payback is shorter. I am thinking I would rather keep the miles off the F250 and have a little beater car pay for itself in two years than nothing but 14 grand in diesel fuel receipts to show for it....
They are rumoring 5.50 a gallon at the end of the summer...:tex
Here is a pic for those without excel..
It looks blurry to me? I know there are some incidentals like insurance and maint but it still saves a lot of money over the F250. The pain is the initial cost of the beater car. They have all gone up 2 grand with the fuel scare...

Mark #2
06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I have been looking into this myself. I made a little xls for it. I am thinking about find a fun crap car to drive around under 10 grand. At todays prices it would about pay for itself in 2.5 years. On the flip side if I continue to drive the diesel I will have spent enough money in diesel to have paid for a little car in about two years... My averages were 14mpg truck and 28mpg car... I seem to drive about 20K a year...
See how my xls attaches.

The file was fine and I have one too
An engineer with an excel file, a K5, a L, and gas at $4-5, what a surprise.:icon_mrgreen:
Fun meter has resulted in the L becoming the daily driver they both get 10mpg, but different fuel prices.

I still have the Smart reservation, August 2009 build date.:confused:

I drive ~11K/year, purchasing gas and driving the L on boost everyday is my choice.

Richardson's finest showed up in the driveway yesterday when I came home for lunch, "they heard me".

They know where I live because they sit next to the house everyday in the morning lasering the school zone when I pull around them to go to work.

"Stop getting on it, we will catch you"

"Yes sir":bows

boostaholic
06-11-2008, 08:28 PM
ha ha. as much as gas prices suck i just cant bring myself to drive anything that isnt muscle. il just suck it up until my TransAm is running again and maby it will get good gas milage. at 398RWHP with the STS kit it made around 28MPG on the highway (6 speed) with 4.11s (didnt get a chance to change gears). now with 600-650RWHP and 6 speed through some 3.42s if it gets 25 on the highway i will be SOOOOO happy then the lightning will undergo phase 1 retard build... and il go broke.

L8 APEX
06-11-2008, 08:29 PM
You should have told him "Does the same go for your wife?" Score:rll:

boostaholic
06-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Lol!!!

SVTJoseCuervo
06-11-2008, 08:42 PM
lmao

Mark #2
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Richardson's finest has the TI/Raytheon thermal cameras that can see when you do get on the wife.

03LightningRocks
06-11-2008, 10:35 PM
....snip.......

"Stop getting on it, we will catch you"

"Yes sir":bows

They have a real issue with loud exhaust in Richardson. I got in trouble one night when I was headed to bone daddies for a meeting. The cop said my truck sounded like a "hot rod" and he was threatening to bust me for exhibition of speed. Richardson cops have no sense of humor.

my2002lightning
06-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I've had the same situation happen a while back from Madill to Kingston, OK with locals calling in with the exhaust note. :evil:burnout:

It was sort of funny that they had never seen, heard or witnessed a L in person. :icon_mrgreen:

They have a real issue with loud exhaust in Richardson. I got in trouble one night when I was headed to bone daddies for a meeting. The cop said my truck sounded like a "hot rod" and he was threatening to bust me for exhibition of speed. Richardson cops have no sense of humor.

Silver_2000
06-11-2008, 11:48 PM
I've had the same situation happen a while back from Madill to Kingston, OK with locals calling in with the exhaust note. :evil:burnout:

It was sort of funny that they had never seen, heard or witnessed a L in person. :icon_mrgreen:
isnt your exhaust stock ?

Shiner1
06-18-2008, 02:42 PM

Sounds like they have nothing better to do than chase "rodders". You would think that headless people running around Richardson would keep them busy.