PDA

View Full Version : one view of why I choose to drive to NY

Silver_2000
07-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Memo To: The Non-Rich From: A Concerned Hedge-Fund Manager Re: Your Air Travel

Being a private person, I can't imagine flying any way but privately.

It's true that I airdrop into Bloomberg every now and again to offer the public a rare glimpse of the mind of a seriously rich (over $100 million net worth) and consistently successful hedge-fund manager (more than $1 billion under management). But mainly I try to keep to myself, and to that end have long avoided boarding an airplane owned by someone else.

So you can think of me as an outside consultant. With no direct experience of your predicament -- the growing misery of life inside a commercial airplane -- I am unusually positioned to understand it.

I can give you the view from 30,000 feet; I can tell you how your traveling future looks to me from the window of my Gulfstream G5. And from where I sit I can see three big trends. They are:

Trend One: The service on your airplanes, bad as it may be, is going to get much worse.

AMR Corp.'s American Airlines is now charging $15 a bag, U.S. Airways Group Inc. is taking away the in-flight movies and demanding two bucks for a can of Coke, and various airline chief executive officers are contemplating weighing the passengers and charging them by the pound. And you just know that once one of these airlines starts weighing people, all of them will, or risk being crushed by fat people looking for a deal.

``They have already begun to think exotically,'' a spokesman for the airline industry told Bloomberg News, apropos of these airline CEOs. ``Nothing is not under the microscope.''

There's a reason for this, and it's not just the price of oil. It's the price of you.

You still expect to be treated like a rich person when you have demonstrated, by flying commercial, that you are a poor person. (Poor being defined as an inability to afford at least a share of a NetJet.) And nothing demoralizes a service-industry professional so quickly as the sight of a high concentration of poor people.

Take flight attendants, for example. Once upon a time these straight ladies and gay men sought to please fliers; now they treat fliers like criminals. Ask a stew and she'll probably blame it all on terrorism. She'll go on about how after 9/11 she stopped being a camp counselor and became a cop. But that's just an excuse.

Little in Return

What's really happened is that she's come to realize that however happy she makes her passengers they can give her back only so much in return -- so why bother?

If even one of the passengers was a seriously rich person -- Jack Welch, for instance, or even little Dickie Grasso -- these same stews might think twice before abandoning service for law enforcement. They might actually want to be charming. Instead, they gaze upon a first class filled with people who paid with frequent-flyer miles and a coach class of seriously desperate people and instinctively reach for their whips and chains. And really, can you blame them?

Trend Two: Your time will be treated as ever-less valuable. You think it's an outrage that planes are now flying more slowly to save fuel? Wait until you find yourself en route from New York to Los Angeles, and stop unexpectedly in Denver until the headwind slows.

You will wonder: How long can it take to fly across America? And you will discover: As long as they want it to take! They know you are poor; they know from their experience that, given the choice, you will always save money rather than time. And so they don't fear that if they slow down you will get off.

If your time was that valuable, they will think to themselves, you wouldn't be flying on their planes in the first place.

And they are right!

Trend Three: Your planes will be ever-more likely to have an accident.

After all, these people who run the airlines have every expense under their microscope; how long can it be before they're examining the value of your coach-class head?

Of course, no major airline would ever consciously set out to kill you. But their planes will age, their spending on safety will decline, and they will increase, at your peril, the likelihood of catastrophe. The only question is when they try to sell you your own parachute will there be some free smoked almonds inside?

Giving Hope

Studying these trends a pessimist would probably conclude that poor people must one day simply cease to travel. Come vacation time the rich will still pop over to Paris and eat at the finest restaurants; the poor will find something else to entertain themselves. Perhaps a camp site near their quaint little home, where they can forage in the wild for free snacks.

But I am not a pessimist. Like Barack Obama, I believe in giving people hope. And the hope, for you, is to lure actual rich people back onto commercial airlines.

For example, in exchange for paying, say, two-thirds of what it would cost to fly private, and thus covering the bulk of the cost of any flight, rich people might be given special cabins in the front of each commercial plane, decked out very much like their G5s once were.

Obviously, no rich person would agree to fly commercial -- essentially paying for a great deal more than his share of the cost -- unless he was granted the other comforts of flying private. And, of course, he and he alone would need to decide when the plane took off and where it landed -- but as rich people usually go to really desirable places, this shouldn't be a problem.

Getting to Topeka

Each night poor people in say, Detroit, who were hoping to travel to, say, London, could go online and see where the local rich people planned to go. They'd surf around and find...Bill Ford is planning to fly to London tomorrow morning! And as many of the local poor who might fit could click on a link and acquire a cheap seat in the back of Bill Ford's flight.

There are some tiny problems with this plan, of course. There won't be many direct flights to Topeka, Kansas, or a lot of other places that the rich seldom go. Indeed, poor people trying to get anywhere near Topeka will probably experience frustration, as their airplanes fly back and forth over it, without so much as a pause.

But these problems are small compared with the benefits. Once again poor people will be free to fly, at speed and even in comfort, just like us regular folk.

Copied from other forum - but found it to be funny and sad

Shiner1
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
"funny and sad" I agree. I don't fly very much but I have seen the decline in interest that the flight crews show each time that I do fly. On a recent flight to San Antonio the crew could have cared-less if we were on board or not. I have to say that the lack of attention and/or cost cutting when it comes to aircraft maint is very concerning to me. Jusy my .2 cents.

Beaudee
07-31-2008, 10:06 AM
You guys are flyin the wrong airline.Fly SWA!!!!They always show the luv!:tu:Think about it,if your not people people and your companys not makin money how can employees show the LUV!!

Shiner1
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
You guys are flyin the wrong airline.Fly SWA!!!!They always show the luv!:tu:Think about it,if your not people people and your companys not makin money how can employees show the LUV!!

I agree. AA is just not that friendly (the few times I have flown with them) As fas as I'm concerned, as long as the drivers are paying attention, the mechs are fixing things, the rest can stay home. I can take care of my own food and drinks. :icon_smile:

98Cobra
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
For vacation this year, we flew to Cancun to go to Playa Del Carmen. We flew AeroMexico.

2.5 hour flight, yet we were served a meal (sandwich, salad, and a cookie). Then they brought the drink cart around, and even alcohol was free.

The staff was very friendly and seemed like they enjoyed their jobs.

I couldn't help but compare that to the cattle-car operation you see on most American flights these days.

projlightning
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
For vacation this year, we flew to Cancun to go to Playa Del Carmen. We flew AeroMexico.

2.5 hour flight, yet we were served a meal (sandwich, salad, and a cookie). Then they brought the drink cart around, and even alcohol was free.

I couldn't help but compare that to the cattle-car operation you see on most American flights these days.

That's great to hear...I will be flying with them here in a couple weeks:tu:

dboat
07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Copied from other forum - but found it to be funny and sad

it was funny and sad.. the biggest I have had is not the stews but the gate agents and desk folks... AA ticked me off so bad recently that I started flying someone else for a while.. doubt that they missed me.. also, there are flight cutbacks and such that it seems that they cancel flights if they arent 90% full.. they are trying to make a buck and I dont blame them, but if it goes way down hill.. then that will make folks only use them for long hauls.. anymore, I think they have lost the short haul business because its just easier to drive it anymore rather than go through all the hassles of parking and security and such..

Dana

liteitup
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

same here, and the sandwich was actually edible

Mark #2
07-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Best Airline according to me
Anyone that has flown with them will know why :icon_mrgreen:
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/homepage

mikelemoine
07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
I've always had good luck with AA. I've missed a few flights or made last minute changes and they've always been helpful and didn't stick it to me too bad on change fees. I had to change an itinerary on Delta 8 years ago and they were such jerks I ended up buying a new ticket on another airline and tossing the Delta one. Haven't flown them since.

Nowadays if its under about 6 hours to drive, I don't bother to fly. By time you add drive time to the airport, arrive an hour early and then deal with baggage claim and rental car on the other end, you won't arrive "door to door" much if any sooner if you fly versus drive. Sometimes a nice long drive makes for some good "alone time" too....

If they are going to charge by the pound I might have a big problem!

Ohmsby
07-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Best Airline according to me
Anyone that has flown with them will know why :icon_mrgreen:
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/homepage

+1 also a fan of Luftansa

Beaudee
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM
+1 also a fan of Luftansa
Luftansa is an excellent airline to fly to Europe.I fly em every time i go over yonder.Dont care for the airbus aircraft,320's and 340's.Nice but not mechanic friendly.Mostly made of composites:tu:

Sixpipes
08-01-2008, 01:33 PM
I broke a finger in my Lufthansa one time. I like Quantas, but they don't fly out of Love Field.

tiffo60
08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
how To Save The Airlines:

Dump The Male Flight Attendants. No One Wanted Them In The First Place. Replace All The Female Flight Attendants With Good-looking Strippers! What The Hell --- They Don't Even Serve Food Anymore, So What's The Loss?

The Strippers Would At Least Triple The Alcohol Sales And Get A 'party Atmosphere' Going In The Cabin. And, Of Course, Every Businessman In This Country Would Start Flying Again, Hoping To See Naked Women.

Because Of The Tips, Female Flight Attendants Wouldn't Need A Salary, Thus Saving Even More Money. I Suspect Tips Would Be So Good That We Could Charge The Women For Working The Plane And Have Them Kick Back 20% Of The T Ips, Including Lap Dances And 'special Services.'

Muslims Would Be Afraid To Get On The Planes For Fear Of Seeing Naked Women. Hijackings Would Come To A Screeching Halt, And The Airline Industry Would See Record Revenues. This Is Definitely A Win-win Situation If We Handle It Right --- A Golden Opportunity To Turn A Liability Into An Asset.

Why Didn't Bush Think Of This? Why Do I Still Have To Do Everything Myself?

Sincerely,
Bill Clinton

:d

dboat
08-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I broke a finger in my Lufthansa one time. I like Quantas, but they don't fly out of Love Field.

Quantas is a little air challenged right now.. with a blow hole in one and an emergency landing on another within a couple of days..