PDA

View Full Version : Who has a hookup on plug changes?

WA 2 FST
09-30-2008, 10:32 AM
I went up to my local Ford dealer, who has techs that I've known for a long time. They do my oil changes (call me lazy). I had some TR6's gapped and ready to go, but they backed off and didn't want to change them. I know they are nervous about potentially screwing something up and having it come back on them. Of course the truck is out of warranty, so I'm not sure why it matters. But I did appreciate the honesty. All the aftermarket parts in there made them nervous.

Anyway, I know Terry is working hard at another job, and tough to nail down... understandably.

It's been 2 years and 10k miles on this set of NGK's. The truck runs perfectly, thanks to Terry's tune, but I think it is time for a plug change.

I guess I could break down and buy the tools and do it myself, since I don't have to drive it every day... even if it takes me a week. However, I'm willing to pay someone to do it while I wait, if there is a competant invididual/shop out there willing to do it. But I need to be able to wait on the truck.

slick-svt
09-30-2008, 12:02 PM
It's not that hard, just time consuming.....I changed all mine with no problems took a while but I got it done, Some of the other folks can tell you what kinda tools you need.....do it yourself and save some $$$$.....

Silver_2000
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I still have the snap on deep socket and 7mm swivel wrench ... You are welcome to borrow them if you want

That and a magnet and a few extensions and some masking tape was all I used.

WA 2 FST
09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I am not concerned with my skills to tackle the project, but I don't have a lot of time nowdays. The good thing is that, as I said above, I don't have to have the truck everyday, so if I get started and don't get it all done in one sitting (and yes, with my short legs, I'll be sitting IN the engine bay), I can finish it later on.

Doug,

Is there still a link up to the excellent write-up you did on the procedure? That was outstanding.

Thx.

-Wes

Silver_2000
09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
yep

svtlightnings.com is still out there

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/sparkplugs/plugs.htm

if thats the one you meant

WA 2 FST
09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
yep...that's the one. Thx.

Shiner1
09-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I'd forgotten what a PITA it was to change gen 2 plugs. I changed the gen 1 plugs and oil over the weekend. Done in about an hour.:icon_mrgreen:

BC Lightning
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I make a saturday out of changing the plugs

Take the CAI off, take the blower off, check the lower intake and intercooler for oil, get everything out of the way and then change the plugs

my best time for taking my old ported heaton off was 20min, then another 20 to change the plugs, and put the blower back on

But that was before the big heavy aftermarket whipple and K.B. blowers that take two people to lift them on and off

yadisisp2
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I pulled my KB off in about 20min, at the most. I got pissed at the rear pass side plug, so I pulled the SC.

WA 2 FST
09-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Ugh... I didn't want to take the blower off... but I do understand that makes changing the plugs easier.

L8 APEX
09-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I will gladly do them next Tuesday. Provided I survive the mountains.

WA 2 FST
09-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Call me when you get back into town. Thx

TXLIGHTNING
09-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Provided I survive the mountains. Have a great time Terry :beer:

L8 APEX
09-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I am just hoping some bear doesn't make me its' cave bitch for the winter:tex

rickgig
10-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Wes...

If you recall I owe you a favor and would have no trouble changing the plugs for you. I've done it about 6 times on mine and a couple on others.

If Terry can't get er done let me know.

My trouble is my schedule but heck... that's your too!

Rick

steinjr
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I was concerned when I first started doing my own plugs... but practice makes perfect.

I went from several hours to about 1 hour.

If I can do it... so can you. :)

charlie
10-08-2008, 07:08 PM
1 Hour...:eek:

I make the day out of it. And do a few other odds and ends, if I feel like it.:icon_mrgreen:

WA 2 FST
10-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Terry came over and took care of me. I do need to learn to do it, but I just need to invest in the right tools. He was done in about 35 minutes, and didn't break a sweat doing it.

It's obvious to me that it is all in the tools.

Trust me, I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I can't count the number of trannies, sets of heads, and engines I've R&R'd.

But it was well worth it to have Terry come over on this one.