PDA

View Full Version : Tranny service and ftvb

Sandman
11-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Ok, so I've had this ftvb sitting here for several years now. Well, it's time to service the transmission and so I'm going to put the ftvb in as well. Besides, I'm tired of talking about doing it.

I've done lots of reading about the flush process and fluids. This is what I have learned so far. Y'all can tell me if I got something wrong with this process.

According to Greg Evans, the synthetic transmission fluid will live happy with the stock fluid so cross contamination is not an issue there. I'm going to go with Mobil 1 ATF D/M (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_DM.aspx).

I'll drop the pan and install the ftvb, 4x4 pan and filter. I've got a 2004, and while I haven't physically checked, from what I understand anything after 2001 does not have the torque converter tapped. Therefore, I will have to actually go somewhere to get it flushed. I'm going to put el cheapo AutoZone Mercon fluid in it to get it so I can test out the ftvb and get it to the flush station.

So one of my questions is what about cross-contamination from the flush machine with other fluids. Do some of these machines take that into consideration and would I be better spending my time losing sleep over something else? The Ford dealership told me there would be cross-contamination with the MerconV fluid that they use. Is there a particular chain that seems to do this better?

Thanks in advance.

L8 APEX
11-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I would just drop it and fill it with M1 about 7.5qts with new 4wd filter. Those kids with their machines make me scared. They either strip out flare nuts or put the wrong stuff in it. If you want in a couple of months drain the pan and add another 5-6 qts. Flushing is too risky IMO.

WA 2 FST
11-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I would just drop it and fill it with M1 about 7.5qts with new 4wd filter. Those kids with their machines make me scared. They either strip out flare nuts or put the wrong stuff in it. If you want in a couple of months drain the pan and add another 5-6 qts. Flushing is too risky IMO.

I concur with Terry... not that he needs any backup.

With the convenience of the 4x4 pan that has a drain plug, you can do a "poor man's flush" just by draining / refilling the fluid every so often if you want. That is ample.

This entire job will take you an hour max if this is the first one you've done, and you'll be glad you made the mods.

Sandman
11-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the advice Terry and Wes.

Not the first time I have flushed a transmission, but I've always been able to drain the torque converter.

Here are instructions draining from the return line. (http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/057/article/Changing_ATF_Fluid_in_a_E4OD_and_4R100_transmissio n.html) I never have thought highly of this method as it seems to run the transmission dry. I kinda think of the transmission like I do the engine when I change the oil. It may run low on pressure for a few seconds when I crank it up, but I definitely don't want to intentionally run it without any fluid.

my2002lightning
11-13-2008, 01:42 AM
I've had no issues with my RP transmission flush. The L was running the whole time and they pushed/pulled all the original trans. fluid out until it was all clean.

Just north of 121/Preston too, Andy.

Sandman
11-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Shoot, just realized the Mobil ATF D/M is not a synthetic, which is what i wanted to go with. The only ATF synthetic Mobil 1 makes is the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx) which is a dual usage fluid. It seems that at one time everybody was told not to use dual usage or MercV fluid in the 4R100. But it seems that is no longer the case. Anybody see the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF as an issue?

L8 APEX
11-13-2008, 09:07 AM
M1 is not an issue it is the standard. Several shops flush RP but it is about 200 bucks or more. Even M1 is up to 7 bucks a quart now.

Beaudee
11-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Good advice,ive seen flush units where the filters were so clogged they where bypassing.Yes and the jethro bodene with the connecting wrenches.:rll::tu: