PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating sound

ezapche
11-12-2008, 11:30 PM
He guys, I am a new Lightning owner and am new to this forum. I have noticed lately that whenever I stop or am stopping there is a random vibrating and it feels like its coming from underneath my feet and sound like it is a medal on medal vibe. Its not a constant vibration, very random, but it seems to stop once I release the brake at a stop then accelerate. One I'm stopped I have also noticed that the vibration intensifies when I raise or lower my window. Any ideas? TIA

L8 APEX
11-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Not sure what the power window has to do with it. Vibration noise and metal on metal sounds like a problem with the brakes. You can look inside the wheels for metal shavings. It is usually the inside pads that wear through first. You may be able to crawl under with a flashlight and see which brake rotor is getting chewed on.

Sandman
11-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I have a vibration under my truck too. It started after I installed this (http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/street/svt/exhaust.htm).

Seriously, hope you get it figured out. I hate weird vibrations.

dboat
11-13-2008, 06:26 AM
He guys, I am a new Lightning owner and am new to this forum. I have noticed lately that whenever I stop or am stopping there is a random vibrating and it feels like its coming from underneath my feet and sound like it is a medal on medal vibe. Its not a constant vibration, very random, but it seems to stop once I release the brake at a stop then accelerate. One I'm stopped I have also noticed that the vibration intensifies when I raise or lower my window. Any ideas? TIA

Welcome JD...

its usually very hard to diagnose that type of problem over a forum.. hope you can locate it.

Dana

1stlightning
11-13-2008, 08:33 AM

Does it do it when you are stopped and in park, or just when you are on the brakes?

Beaudee
11-13-2008, 09:03 AM

Check exhaust connections and mounts.

ezapche
11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Wow, such quick responses. I really appreciate your help. 1stlightning, it only happens when I'm on the brake not in park. I think I should just get the brakes checked out. Anyone know a good place to take my truck to?

Silver_2000
11-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, such quick responses. I really appreciate your help. 1stlightning, it only happens when I'm on the brake not in park. I think I should just get the brakes checked out. Anyone know a good place to take my truck to?

If it only happens with the truck in drive and NOT moving that would suggest its idle related, I would as has been suggested check the exhaust for loose connections or hangers or if its hitting something. If the brakes are ON and the truck is not moving the brakes are NOT going to be vibrating. But if you are sitting at idle with the brakes on in gear the RPM might drop to a level that causes a shake that vibrates things against each other . If it doesnt happen in park its likely because the idle goes up in park

gagspa
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
We had the same problem and it turned out that it was the exhaust. I guess when the engine is in D it puts enough torque on the truck to allow the exhaust to hit. Just crawl under the truck and tap the exhaust with a rubber mallet until you locate the problem.

my2002lightning
11-14-2008, 02:14 AM
I would agree.

Check exhaust connections and mounts.

Beaudee
11-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Could also be a bad plug /coil pack(@ idle plugs,coil packs act up noticable).Start with the easiest to check least expensive:tu: