PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

Shiner1
11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
All right guys several noggins are better than one so help me out here. The Gen 1 has developed and oil leak. Look at the picture that I attached. (this is not my motor, just a canfield head that i found on-line) Note the row of "plugs/bolts" just below the row of spark plug holes. It appears that the oil is coming from the last plug to the right, which would be the one nearest the firewall/drivers side. John has kept the underside spotless so it's easy to see the oils path. It runs down the block, to the bottom of the bell housing and drips from there. After shut down it will drip for a half hour or so then stop. Truck runs fine. No unusual sounds, misses or anything. Oil pressure remains good. Problem is i can't really tell EXACTLY where the oil is coming from. The next step is to pull the SC piping, blowoff valve and whatever else to get to that area. Anyone have any suggestions?? As a side note...Last Wednesday night when I backed out of the garage there was no oil on the floor. I went to a GTG in Lewisville and came home a couple of hours later and thats when the drip started. I didn't drive it again until friday when I backed it out to sweep out the garage and saw the oil puddle. Thanks for the help fellas.

WA 2 FST
11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Of all my years working on Windsors, I have a hard time believing that much oil (to puddle and puddle so quickly) would be coming from a spark plug hole. I'm thinking valve cover given the location you describe. The other possibility would be a rear intake gasket seal, but that may be too far towards the center of the block to match your description.

Ok just re-read your post ... not sure why I didn't understand better the first and second time I read it.

I still think that is a lot of oil to be coming out of a lower head bolt. Those plugs (which I assume you mean the yellowish ones on the bottom side of the block) are coolant plugs. There's no oil coming from there, I can't imagine.

Shiner1
11-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Yea, my post is kind of confusing I'm sure. Didn't even notice the gold plugs on the bottom. I'm referring to the head bolts. Hell I got confused reading my post. What i find so interesting is that the leak stops after a short period of time. Head gasket or valve cover gasket is the only thing I can think of but my pea-brain is limited. .

Beaudee
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Head could be cracked @ the bolt hole:eek:I hope not but cracks always appear near holes.

Ohmsby
11-19-2008, 04:38 PM
John it's a valve cover gasket IMHO bring it up to the " World Headquarters" this weekend and we can take look.

Wes why must you tempt me with your gen 2 ?I have been trying to justify the purchase in my head all day

Shiner1
11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
John it's a valve cover gasket IMHO bring it up to the " World Headquarters" this weekend and we can take look.

Wes why must you tempt me with your gen 2 ?I have been trying to justify the purchase in my head all day

Damit John just buy it........

I talked to james a little bit a ago. I'll pack up some cold ones and come up. My son has a basketball tourny on Saturday. May have to come on Sunday if that works for ya'll.

WA 2 FST
11-19-2008, 05:36 PM

Well it is gone one way or the other. A guy in Houston is interested, but if you're serious let me know.

Shiner1
11-20-2008, 07:25 AM

:threadhijackPost one these next time will ya....LOL I think your right John. I dug around in it last night and I think the leak is around the corner of the valve cover back by the firewall. Of course it can't be on the passenger side which would be much easier to get to. :hammer:

Ohmsby
11-20-2008, 07:51 AM
It's never the easy side. Sorry for the the threadjack

WA 2 FST
11-20-2008, 08:46 AM
:threadhijackPost one these next time will ya....LOL I think your right John. I dug around in it last night and I think the leak is around the corner of the valve cover back by the firewall. Of course it can't be on the passenger side which would be much easier to get to. :hammer:

Shiner... sorry for getting off topic. Really, there aren't THAT many places it can be coming from. VC gaskets leak on these things, especially when they are not driven often (and I know that truck is in perfect shape, and gets used on sunny days only). They get hard/brittle and lose their ability to expand/contract with heat. A head gasket does not do that. If it was a head gasket, you would most likely have coolant draining down the side of the block as well. Head bolt... its possible, but rare. If it loosens up you will typically have a HG leak, and again, most likely coolant associated with that.

I bet the problem is rather simple, but obviously will require some removal and reinstall of some parts. '

Good luck.

Shiner1
11-20-2008, 08:59 AM
I knew a bunch of other noggins could figure this out. Just had to razz you guys a little bit. Just buy the truck John...you know you want it.