PDA

View Full Version : new here, need opinion on lowering

hillman
12-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Thought I would say hi. I wasn't aware of this forum until a member informed me about it. I need an opinion on lowering. I was pretty much sold on the belltech 3/4 kit. But I read that people can cut a coil off of the spring to get about a 2 inch drop, and take two leafs out and get an additional drop in the rear with the shackles that I already have on there. If I do this, would I get about the same drop and look as the 3/4 kit, or should I just spend the money and get the kit?

my2002lightning
12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Welcome, hillman! What do you plan on doing with your L, specifically?

0'Lightning
12-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't cut the coils.

hillman
12-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Welcome, hillman! What do you plan on doing with your L, specifically?
Just to make it a bad ass street truck. I want the looks. Handling is not that important to me. It's not like a autocross or anything. And i have yet to go to a track.

0'Lightning
12-13-2008, 08:27 PM
The guy I bought my L from cut the coils to lower the truck. So when I turn my steering wheel all the way and accelerate it makes a slight pop sound some times. Now I’m about to buy some Eibach 1.75 front lowing springs to fix the problem. I don’t know a lot about cutting coil springs, but I know I don’t like having them.

Mark #2
12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Just to make it a bad ass street truck. I want the looks. Handling is not that important to me. It's not like a autocross or anything. And i have yet to go to a track.

If you just want looks, go ahead and cut the coils and take out the leafs.
It doesn't cost you anything and if you don't like it you can always change it later. I have had many suspension combinations in my truck.

Stock
Stock with shackles
Stock with shackles and slapper bars

Hotchkis springs
Hotchkis springs and Hotchkis sway bars
Hotchkis springs and Hotchkis sway bars with shackles and slapper bars

Roush springs with Hotchkis sways
Roush springs with Hotchkis sways and shackles and slapper bars
Roush springs with Hotchkis sways and shackles and Metco lowers

and I could keep going with shock combinations.

Suspension changes are relatively cheap and easy.

Sandman
12-13-2008, 11:38 PM
You could always do a redneck drop:eek:

L8 APEX
12-13-2008, 11:43 PM
It depends if you want performance or just the lowered look. The Hotchkis TVS kit with sway bars handles nicely. Otherwise you can cut and heat springs cheap and lower the truck for looks. Watch the 5" drive shaft it will hit the bed if you go lower than 3"

my2002lightning
12-14-2008, 12:02 AM
On mine, I went with the Hotchkiss coils and sway bars, the JLP 2/3/4 shackles on the 4" drop and left the stock leafs all intact if I ever wanted to haul/tow anything. The sways are a big improvement to firm-up any body-roll from stock. I'm happy with it all, thus far.

You might consider a brake upgrade too. Just a thought and search around here for some of our experiences on brakes for more info.

hillman
12-14-2008, 12:32 PM
You might consider a brake upgrade too. Just a thought and search around here for some of our experiences on brakes for more info.
On the list but not the top of it. hmm idk I think I'm leaning towards cutting the coils and taking out a leaf. It's free and if I don't like it, I can always buy the belltech kit.. I'm just going to have to read up on it more.

WA 2 FST
12-14-2008, 01:39 PM
On the list but not the top of it. hmm idk I think I'm leaning towards cutting the coils and taking out a leaf. It's free and if I don't like it, I can always buy the belltech kit.. I'm just going to have to read up on it more.

Welcome, John. Glad you made it over here. Nice meeting you on Friday.

hillman
12-14-2008, 09:50 PM
thanks you have a really good looking truck. Hey if you dont want to de-mod it, I can save you alot of extra time. I have the perfect solution-we can switch trucks:rolleyes: haha. Same color and everything. Mine just has a little bit more wear on it. But thanks again for letting me check it out.

WA 2 FST
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Terry called me a few hours after you left and I dropped the truck off over at Donnie's house in Lewisville... the truck is now close to stock. Still runs really good, though, minus the KB.

hillman
12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
ah dang. just missed out on it haha.

Shiner1
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Welcome John. I'm sure you can find a combo your are happy with. Lots of good info on this site.

nacklas
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Welcome!:tu: