PDA

View Full Version : My trans is down shifting funny, and idling high.

0'Lightning
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I haven't driven my truck in almost a week. I got on it today from first through second and then when I came up to a stop sign I noticed it was down shifting harder then usual. Then when I came to a complete stop, it felt like it still wanted to accelerate. I then let off the brake and it began to slowly accelerate by it self. I grand-ma’ed back home and it seemed to shift fine, just down shift funny. When I put it in park the rpms go up to about 1300rpm and idles there, which is like 300rpms higher then usual. A friend of mine told me it sounded like a dirty MAF. So I started thinking my MAF sensor is upside down due to having a ghetto MAF Adapter. I took the MAF off and cleaned the inside and then lightly sprayed some electronic cleaner across the sensor. I just got back from taking it for a spin and it seemed to shift fine driving through my neighborhood, then ended up doing the same thing after getting on it.
What do yall think? New MAF? Take it to a transmission shop?:confused:

Go Cowboys!

L8 APEX
12-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Idle high could be a vacuum leak like a hose popped loose, throttle blades sticking, idle air motor sticking etc. I would clean the IAC first. I bet the trans in fine. It is the high RPM causing the odd down shifts.

0'Lightning
12-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I pulled the IAC off and there’s what looks like, a flat piece of plastic coming out of a red bearing in the hole I pulled the IAC out of. I’m guessing the flat piece of plastic is the sensor. Knowing that sensors are delegate; I thought I would ask how to get to it to clean it, before trying and messing something up?

L8 APEX
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Huh? the idle air motor is on the upper passenger side of the upper intake manifold. It is round and silver and is held on by two 8mm bolts. It has one two wire connector on it. It has two round holes in the intake that it covers. It should be caked with carbon when you pull it off.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl142f.htm
I use carb cleaner.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84220

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I cleaned the IAC. The vacuum hoses look fine to. Still down shifts funny, and idles fine when I first start it and put it in drive. Then after I take it around the block it idles at 1700rpms when in park, but idles fine when in drive. I guess ill clean the throttle blades...:confused:.

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I just cleaned the throttle body. I'm letting it dry now. If the throttle blades were sticking wouldn't they stick when I turn them my self?
I guess that leaves the idle air motor. I really need a vacuum hose diagram...

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I put the throttle body back on not knowing that I would have to reset the throttle cable. I’ve messed with throttle cables before, but I cant seem to figure out how this one works. I would be out there right now trying to figure it out but it’s getting dark and its colder then balls outside.

L8 APEX
12-17-2008, 08:13 PM
You don't adjust the cables you just grab the Tb quadrant open and set inster the cable ends and let it close. One is throttle crimped lead end and one is cruise control snap on plastic end.

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 08:43 PM
I had the throttle cable bracket on a little woppy jawed. It was pulling it tight, rookie mistake.
Now when I start my truck I’m noticing a it’s running a little rough, and the boost gauge isn’t reading anything, till I rev to about 3000rpms. Then it slightly moves. I also heard a noise coming from the brake booster area when i pulled the throttle cable a little, freaked me out
:eek2:.

L8 APEX
12-17-2008, 09:11 PM
You are dangerous son...
Did you leave a vac line off?

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 09:14 PM
The only vac lines I touched were the 2 that attach under the intake elbow.:confused:

L8 APEX
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
There are three under the intake elbow. One goes to the boost actuator.

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
All 3 are in. Is a vac leak the only reason it would be doing this? Bad AIC?

dboat
12-17-2008, 10:17 PM
:popcorn

cant wait to see how this one ends...

Dana

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
:popcorn

cant wait to see how this one ends...

Dana

Me to. I've never had anything go wrong with my L. Its driving me crazy:tex!

dboat
12-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Me to. I've never had anything go wrong with my L. Its driving me crazy:tex!

I dont take chances.. I only let Terry work on mine except for oil changes.. heck, I drove mine from Erie to Texas just to let him work on it.. and when I get back, I have a backlog of things to do.. good luck.. :tu:

Dana

L8 APEX
12-17-2008, 10:30 PM
It is probably something simple.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/2750118481_00ce55a1dc.jpg?v=0

0'Lightning
12-17-2008, 10:34 PM
LOL:rll:. "You make me, ha, ha, ha, haaappy"

Good stuff.:tu:

L8 APEX
12-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Maybe Ohmsby will let you run it by the world HQ tomorrow:icon_eek:

0'Lightning
12-18-2008, 02:19 PM
So I just retraced my steps. Everything I did yesterday I did today; AIC, MAF, Intake, Throttle Body. Took everything off and put it all back on. It’s still doing the same thing! I've checked the vacuum hoses and they seem fine. I don’t know where I’m going wrong. I don’t want to give up, but I feel like I'm getting no where.

What’s the going rate for someone to take this problem off my hands?:(

0'Lightning
12-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I fixed that b*tch! Runs like a champ! Thanks Terry, I owe you a six pack when I get those tunes.:beer:
Woot Woot!

:burnout:

dboat
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I fixed that b*tch! Runs like a champ! Thanks Terry, I owe you a six pack when I get those tunes.:beer:
Woot Woot!

:burnout:

What was it?:confused:

TXLIGHTNING
12-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Terry, I owe you a six pack when I get those tunes Terry is a Crown drinker, a bottle of Crown Res or XR with a six pack of Vanilla Coke Zero will prolly put a smile on his face :tu:

0'Lightning
12-18-2008, 07:04 PM
What was it?:confused:
I'm guessing it was a dirty AIC, and throttle body. After thinking that I had given up on the vac leak, I decided to stair at the engine bay a lot . Then I messed with the elbow and maf clamps. Theeen I undid the battery cables, taped them together, put them back on and took it out for a spin, and Booyaaa! Runs fine.

Terry is a Crown drinker, a bottle of Crown Res or XR with a six pack of Vanilla Coke Zero will prolly put a smile on his face :tu:

If I wasn't such a poor piece...