PDA

View Full Version : The L is staying in the family

WA 2 FST
12-14-2008, 11:58 PM
After a long, rather drawn-out saga of making a decision to get a 4-door truck and selling the SRT8, I decided to de-mod the L and sell it to my son.

Once he got wind that I was selling the L, he asked what it would take to buy the truck. Obviously he could not afford it at $20-22k, so we calculated what it would take to buy it after I cleared what I could get on the sale of the aftermarket parts, and came to an agreement.

If he's going to be looking at them in another year, then this was an excellent option, given the low miles, pristine condition, meticulous maintenance, and known history.

So, he put down $8500 and will get to pay out the rest over the next few years.

The truck is still gonna be plenty quick. Driving it home tonight after Terry reinstalled the stock blower, I can tell it still has plenty of punch... and right now it has a stock tune in place. It will still have a 4# pulley, long tubes, CAI, electric fan kit, Roush suspension, and FTVB. Once Terry does his magic with a new tune, it will be ~400rwhp I'm sure.... but we're going to start off with the "parental control" program. ;) :tu:

I'm glad Dana was able to get the HRE wheels. My truck definitely does not look the same, but if my son curbs a stock wheel, its not as big of a deal compared to the alternative.

In the meantime, the truck will go into storage, and he and I will drive it 1-2x per month until he's of age... and I'm making a deal on a GT500.

WA 2 FST
12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
'09 GT500 convertible...coming soon

0'Lightning
12-15-2008, 12:29 AM
In the meantime, the truck will go into storage, and he and I will drive it 1-2x per month until he's of age... and I'm making a deal on a GT500.

If you dont mind me asking, how old is your son?
No way my parents would ever let me buy a sports car... so I told them I was buying a F-150.

wesman
12-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Good deal Wes......I'm sure your son is responsible, you seem like the type that raised his kids right. Hopefully he respects the power of the L and treats it accordingly.

--wes

98Cobra
12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
If the GT-500 were X-Plan eligible, I would have to give it some serious thought.

Glad to see a nice L is staying in the family!

dboat
12-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Good deal Wes......I'm sure your son is responsible, you seem like the type that raised his kids right. Hopefully he respects the power of the L and treats it accordingly.

--wes

If the GT-500 were X-Plan eligible, I would have to give it some serious thought.

Glad to see a nice L is staying in the family!

After a long, rather drawn-out saga of making a decision to get a 4-door truck and selling the SRT8, I decided to de-mod the L and sell it to my son.

Once he got wind that I was selling the L, he asked what it would take to buy the truck. Obviously he could not afford it at $20-22k, so we calculated what it would take to buy it after I cleared what I could get on the sale of the aftermarket parts, and came to an agreement.

If he's going to be looking at them in another year, then this was an excellent option, given the low miles, pristine condition, meticulous maintenance, and known history.

So, he put down $8500 and will get to pay out the rest over the next few years.

The truck is still gonna be plenty quick. Driving it home tonight after Terry reinstalled the stock blower, I can tell it still has plenty of punch... and right now it has a stock tune in place. It will still have a 4# pulley, long tubes, CAI, electric fan kit, Roush suspension, and FTVB. Once Terry does his magic with a new tune, it will be ~400rwhp I'm sure.... but we're going to start off with the "parental control" program. ;) :tu:

I'm glad Dana was able to get the HRE wheels. My truck definitely does not look the same, but if my son curbs a stock wheel, its not as big of a deal compared to the alternative.

Wes, I will do my best to keep the wheels as pristine as they are now. Thanks again for working with me on the purchase.
Your son must be special, I dont know many parents that would trust their son with an L. I wish him the best and he is getting one fine ride.

Dana

Beaudee
12-15-2008, 09:02 AM

Get an 03 or 04 Cobra.Cheeper,faster:tu:

L8 APEX
12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I really hope you know what you are doing with that 500. The 500 is the worst vehicle I have ever driven, a convertible only makes it worse:tex. They are heavy as lead and feel just like a 6spd Lightning, only slower...:(

Beaudee
12-15-2008, 09:34 AM
I really hope you know what you are doing with that 500. The 500 is the worst vehicle I have ever driven, a convertible only makes it worse:tex. They are heavy as lead and feel just like a 6spd Lightning, only slower...:(

I reccomend a DSG 03 or 04.:tu:Gotta throw ina video:tongue: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03-Cobra-movie-I-made_21593.htm Either way good luck and cong. on keep the L..:tu:

dboat
12-15-2008, 09:45 AM

Wes, gorgeous car.. good luck.. funny thing is, whenever you decide to buy something new and post it on the board, you will definitely get differing opinions back.. but that is ok, because it either makes you rethink your purchase or reaffirms why you are buying it to begin with..

Dana

L8 APEX
12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Wes knows better he has had several nice cars. The 500 was a flop when released. David dumped his within 6 months. Even after we pullied, chipped, intake etc it still wouldn't chirp the tires between shifts. It was a modern day lead sled.:vomit:

WA 2 FST
12-15-2008, 09:50 AM
I am not sure my son is special. I just know there are good reasons to let him purchase an L, or some other hot-rod car... otherwise, my wife and I wouldn't give him an option.

I'm a strict disciplinarian. I require a lot of him, and to this point he has done extremely well. He and I spend a ton of time together, and I know him well... but of course that doesn't mean he's perfect and doesn't have growing up to do.

That's why there are a number of qualifications still to be met. But, he's on the right track, and if he continues, then when he's driving I know we'd be looking for something ... and chances of finding an L (or whatever) in this type of condition, would be slim and none at the price.

I know a lot of you will think I'm crazy, and I understand and respect that. But my thumb will be squarely on the pulse of the situatoin for a long time.

Here's some of the reasoning behind the decision:

1) Always told him that if he was responsible and saved his $$, he would have a LOT of say in what he purchased as his first vehicle. To this point, he's on an excellent track... but the caveat here is that all these good habits have to be maintained as long as he is living under my roof, and/or I'm helping pay his way through college.
2) From a safety standpoint, I would prefer him to have a truck (good visibility, only 1 passenger in the vehicle... less distractions). Certainly it can be tail-happy, but it will also be a good handling and braking vehicle. Obviously the power can be a concern, and I'm aware of that. Terry is going to tune the truck with a speed limiter at 85mph, TQ mgmt on, WOT upshift fuel cut-off, etc.
3) He's going to be paying for this. I am not giving him anything, except a 31k mile truck in exceptional mechanical condition for possibly a little below what the value will be in 2 years (he's 14). He has a firm grasp at his age of the value of a $. He has $8500 saved up, and that hasn't all been given to him either. He mows lawns, and works for $. When he gets $$ at b-day/Xmas, he puts it into his savings account. He even took out a CD about 6 months ago (beat me in the stock market, that's for sure).

So this is all still really a work-in-progress. I've agreed to store the truck, he'll continue to work for it, and we'll see what happens when it comes time to get the permit/license. If the grades fall due to a perceived lack of effort, his attitude begins to change towards his family/peers, and he fails to continue to show exceptional responsibility, RESPECT, and care for himself, what he's been blessed with, and others, then I still hold the keys. .... not to mention when he gets his first ticket, or I hear of anything "stupid" going on.

None of this doesn't mean there isn't some inherent risk, and each parent has to do what they feel is right for a given situation. I've always felt that anyone can get themselves into trouble in a vehicle no matter what it is. Obviously if you drive like a fool in a high-HP anything, you have less time to react, make good decisions/judgments, and can get into trouble at quicker/faster rate with less time to compensate for a mistake. My son is extremely cautious and conservative like myself, so again... and he'll have to continue to display a maturity that will give us confidence to let him drive.

So really... the bottom line is that I'm just keeping the truck for awhile, and we'll see what happens. If he continues to earn it, then he'll get it. But that still won't mean I can't take the keys at any time, and that is an understanding that he will realize and respect. For now, its just another incentive for him to continue to develop character as a young man.

hillman
12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I reccomend a DSG 03 or 04.:tu:Gotta throw ina video:tongue: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03-Cobra-movie-I-made_21593.htm Either way good luck and cong. on keep the L..:tu:
The black cobra in that video before the yellow one that on the strip is mean. vid of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes&feature=PlayList&p=739A4B9536C7E327&index=27 :banana:

Ohmsby
12-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Wes you sound a lot like a parent. Good for you. :tu:

ZeusSVT
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Wes, gorgeous car.. good luck.. funny thing is, whenever you decide to buy something new and post it on the board, you will definitely get differing opinions back.. but that is ok, because it either makes you rethink your purchase or reaffirms why you are buying it to begin with..

Dana

Wes knows better he has had several nice cars. The 500 was a flop when released. David dumped his within 6 months. Even after we pullied, chipped, intake etc it still wouldn't chirp the tires between shifts. It was a modern day lead sled.:vomit:

Both very true statements. They are dead sexy looking cars but seem pretty slow from what I have seen of them. If I was gonna get a Mustang in that body style, and for the money, I'd probably get a Saleen. :evil

0'Lightning
12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Wes, are you looking to adopt lol?:icon_mrgreen:
Sounds like your son has great character. No way could I ever save that kind of money up at that age.
I got my L shortly after graduating high school and wished all the time I could have had it during. Hands down the best vehicle to drive in a Texas college town :burnout:.
When he gets the keys, make sure he's got a stick to beat all those high school girls off with.:tu:

99WhiteBeast
12-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Very nice. I would think with him being raised around all the high HP cars you've owned he would have a healthy respect for these type of vehicle.:tu:

dboat
12-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Wes, you going to put one of those devices in the truck that tells you where he has been (gps) and how fast he has been driving?? just as a backup...

Dana

WA 2 FST
12-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Wes, you going to put one of those devices in the truck that tells you where he has been (gps) and how fast he has been driving?? just as a backup...

Dana

That wouldn't hurt. I haven't researched them very much. The good thing is that to this point, he is extremely conscientious about letting my wife and I know where he is and what he's doing all the time. He respects that very much to the point where it is really 2nd nature for him to let us know what he's doing when he is with friends. But I have no problem installing something like that to "keep tabs", and he wouldn't care if I did. That's just the kind of relationship we have (to this point...and if things change in a negative way... he won't get the keys).

As several have mentioned... it will come down to respect of the vehicle. You can disrespect a $500 car, or a $50,000 car. The one variable in this case will be that it is a relatively high-HP car. He's conservative enough that I believe he'll stay out of real trouble with it, or I wouldn't consider this. I do plan on taking him to the track so he can drive/race it there.

Saleen... uh, Michael... please don't ever buy one of those. I've had one, and heard of horror stories of others. Do a search on here about my '98 Saleen S351. Talk about being way overrated in the power and performance dept.

There are plenty of GT500's making a conservative 600+rwhp with a little work, and the drivetrain will be more reliable at that level than the '03-04 cars. Sure its a 4000+lb car. Nowdays, just about anything but a 2-seat sports car is.

my2002lightning
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Very good, Wes! You certainly seem to be a solid Father figure in your Son's life and seem to have instilled alot of respect for high HP/TQ vehicles.

It's like a Lightning/Viper/Corvette or a Beretta/Glock/Sig/H&K - you have a TON of power at your disposal. It's up to the Operator to enjoy it responsibly and safely.

ZeusSVT
12-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Saleen... uh, Michael... please don't ever buy one of those. I've had one, and heard of horror stories of others. Do a search on here about my '98 Saleen S351. Talk about being way overrated in the power and performance dept.

I guess I would have to take your word for it then since you have had one. I guess what has always appealed to me is the look of them. One of the guys at the 24 hour fitness I go to in frisco has one, and I love looking at it when I come out and it is there. I guess looks and a name on a car can be deceiving huh. :evil

WA 2 FST
12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
They do look outstanding... both the new ones and the older ones. And often they have some good parts on them. It's just the implementation and set up of those parts leaves something to be desired.

Ohmsby
12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
The GT500 is a lot like the 03 04 L's once they are lowered the looks are a lot better IMHO

They are a little heavy but for a fuel and go they can keep up with a lot on the street and really could be a fun car for Wes or the Misses to drive.

I saw a GTR today man is that a nice car

dboat
12-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I saw a GTR today man is that a nice car

Dont be posting that stuff up here.. you know I want one but it just isnt going to happen for a few years until they become ordinary.. or come off a lease.. so it will be L modding time until then.. still not sure I can part with the L though.. as I have always said, there isnt anything out there that can do what it does..

Dana

Ohmsby
12-15-2008, 10:52 PM
you would look good in a GTR

dboat
12-16-2008, 07:48 AM
you would look good in a GTR

you're evil... :evil

Beaudee
12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
The black cobra in that video before the yellow one that on the strip is mean. vid of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes&feature=PlayList&p=739A4B9536C7E327&index=27 :banana:

I love the Shelbys,sexy cars!!.They just want 2 much money for them.I always w anted an 03 or 04 Cobra.Pulley and a tune you got something fast.I believe the one in the vid is a K.B.:bows87n8jhVO784&NR=1

0'Lightning
12-16-2008, 02:27 PM
:eek:That Cobra is SICK!

my2002lightning
12-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I've always wanted one of those 03/04 Cobras too, Beau! It does sound like a KB given the "squeal" v. the "whine" of the Eaton.

That thing's a Beast! :burnout::santa

TP Derrick D
12-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Beaudee, you own a Terminator? you keep promoting them, I thought you were a GTO person? If U got an L & Mustang like me, then you just got on the Bomb-diggity level....:bows:tu::beer::burnout: and all of that,,, that is IF U got one and I missed it somehow....

TP Derrick D
12-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Beaudee, you own a Terminator? you keep promoting them, I thought you were a GTO person? If U got an L & Mustang like me, then you just got on the Bomb-diggity level....:bows:tu::beer::burnout: and all of that,,, that is IF U got one and I missed it somehow....

Never mind Beaudee, I posted this before I read your post several spots below it. Well hey, U can't always still get one and get on that level:tu: