PDA

View Full Version : Lightning CCW

dboat
12-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Well, we have our applications in for our CHL, here in Pa. All you have to do to get one here is go to the Sheriffs office, fill out the application, pay the fee $26 per person, make sure you have two (2) references and wait to see if you get approved. They have 40 days to get it all done or tell you why you were not approved.

Anticipating approval, for those that conceal carry, where do you carry it while you are in your L? if not in your L, where do you carry it?

Dana

Wht95Lightning
12-18-2008, 08:17 AM
90% of the time, I'm carrying a government or commander sized 1911 in an inside the waistband holster at about 4 O'clock (position).

The rest of the time I'm carrying a Kahr PM9 in my pocket or if I've got to be EXTRA discreet, a S&W 642 on my ankle or a Beretta Tomcat in my pocket.

I do not believe in "off body" carry such as a backpack, man purse, etc. Way too slow to retrieve the pistol. I also keep the pistol on me in the truck because you just never know when you'll be seperated from the vehicle.

gagspa
12-18-2008, 08:21 AM
In Texas it cost $140 for the license and another $100ish for the class every 4 years. It also takes 2-4 months to get it back.

The wife keeps her Seecamp in the center console when she cannot carry it on her (at work). The rest of the time she keeps it in her purse in a carry pocket. I would prefer that she carry it on her, but I'd rather her have it in her purse than not at all. I really don't like the idea of leaving a firearm in an unoccupied vehicle, but my wife is not allowed to have it at work, she drives a long way to and from work, and she gets home late.

I keep a safe in my car where I keep my pistol for those times when I am not allowed to carry and I have it in my possession. The rest of the time I just keep my 1911 on my hip.

dboat
12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
90% of the time, I'm carrying a government or commander sized 1911 in an inside the waistband holster at about 4 O'clock (position).

The rest of the time I'm carrying a Kahr PM9 in my pocket or if I've got to be EXTRA discreet, a S&W 642 on my ankle or a Beretta Tomcat in my pocket.

I do not believe in "off body" carry such as a backpack, man purse, etc. Way too slow to retrieve the pistol. I also keep the pistol on me in the truck because you just never know when you'll be seperated from the vehicle.

isnt this uncomfortable? but of course, this is why I asked the question. :rolleyes:

Thanks Dana

dboat
12-18-2008, 08:46 AM
In Texas it cost $140 for the license and another $100ish for the class every 4 years. It also takes 2-4 months to get it back.

The wife keeps her Seecamp in the center console when she cannot carry it on her (at work). The rest of the time she keeps it in her purse in a carry pocket. I would prefer that she carry it on her, but I'd rather her have it in her purse than not at all. I really don't like the idea of leaving a firearm in an unoccupied vehicle, but my wife is not allowed to have it at work, she drives a long way to and from work, and she gets home late.

I keep a safe in my car where I keep my pistol for those times when I am not allowed to carry and I have it in my possession. The rest of the time I just keep my 1911 on my hip.

I anticipate that my wife will keep hers in her purse at all times.. unless she has to go somewhere where she couldnt carry it.. like when traveling via air..
where did you mount a safe in a car?

Thanks
Dana

L8 APEX
12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Comp Tac paddle holster with FBI tilt. It also helps from the cops taking you out of your vehicle. When they ask where it is if you tell them glove box or console they may ask you to step out to separate you. When you say it is on my side just like you officer. They calmly ask you to sit tight and wait.

dboat
12-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Comp Tac paddle holster with FBI tilt. It also helps from the cops taking you out of your vehicle. When they ask where it is if you tell them glove box or console they may ask you to step out to separate you. When you say it is on my side just like you officer. They calmly ask you to sit tight and wait.

very good points.. something else I didnt know.. I do know that in talking with others and having seen it posted here, it is always wise to hand over your CHL with your Drivers Lisc if pulled over.

Dana

gagspa
12-18-2008, 10:32 AM
where did you mount a safe in a car?

It is connected to the mounting bracket of passenger seat with a short cable. I considered permanently mounting it in the trunk, but then I'd have to arm/disarm while standing outside. It is not 100% perfect, but I know of a couple of people that have had their car broken into, but the safe was still there.

dboat
12-18-2008, 10:38 AM
It is connected to the mounting bracket of passenger seat with a short cable. I considered permanently mounting it in the trunk, but then I'd have to arm/disarm while standing outside. It is not 100% perfect, but I know of a couple of people that have had their car broken into, but the safe was still there.

got a link to a supplier? I was thinking of keeping one gun in the car that I drive, all the time, but this might be a better idea than keeping it in the glove compartment or armrest.

Dana

Wht95Lightning
12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
It's not uncomfortable at all if you have the right holster. My favorite holster is my Comp-tac MTAC. It can be adjusted to fit you.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=821d161fdd6718383d668f6afb0e8fd1

StormShadow
12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Dana look at sshmi.com and see if you find something that you can mount behind the seat.

dboat
12-18-2008, 10:51 AM
It's not uncomfortable at all if you have the right holster. My favorite holster is my Comp-tac MTAC. It can be adjusted to fit you.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=821d161fdd6718383d668f6afb0e8fd1

Thanks for the link.. I have started to look at holsters and there are a lot on the market..
For the KT, I may just keep it in my pocket.. I installed a pocket clip on it.. and given the size, (see below) I think that may make sense.. unless I pull a Plaxico..

Weight unloaded lbs. 8.3 oz. Loaded magazine : 2.8 oz. Length : 5.2"Height : 3.5"Width : .77"

Dana

gagspa
12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
got a link to a supplier? I was thinking of keeping one gun in the car that I drive, all the time, but this might be a better idea than keeping it in the glove compartment or armrest.

Dana
Everything is blocked here at work, but I'll look for a link when I get home.

As others have mentioned, with the right holster you can wear while driving and still be comfortable. But don't buy a holster based on what works for someone else. Everyone has a different body type and what works for some doesn't work for others. I have a friend that always carries in an OWB holster and you can never tell, even when looking for it. I tried his same holsters in the same position and the printing was obvious. Instead I went with a Concealco IWB holster and it conceals on me perfectly and is comfortable, but my buddy hates it. Best bet is to just try them out :(

dboat
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Everything is blocked here at work, but I'll look for a link when I get home.

As others have mentioned, with the right holster you can wear while driving and still be comfortable. But don't buy a holster based on what works for someone else. Everyone has a different body type and what works for some doesn't work for others. I have a friend that always carries in an OWB holster and you can never tell, even when looking for it. I tried his same holsters in the same position and the printing was obvious. Instead I went with a Concealco IWB holster and it conceals on me perfectly and is comfortable, but my buddy hates it. Best bet is to just try them out :(

thanks... but I am thinking whether its an IWB or OWB, with my fat arse, its not going to be comfortable and its going to show.. although I might try an inside the front pocket one or just something to keep it from printing. I need to go somewhere where I can try a lot of these holsters though..

Dana

gagspa
12-18-2008, 05:49 PM
thanks... but I am thinking whether its an IWB or OWB, with my fat arse, its not going to be comfortable and its going to show.. although I might try an inside the front pocket one or just something to keep it from printing. I need to go somewhere where I can try a lot of these holsters though..

Dana
You might be surprised. My father-in-Law weighs 350+lbs, is round like a ball and carries IWB easily. You just have to find the right spot.

dboat
12-18-2008, 05:53 PM
You might be surprised. My father-in-Law weighs 350+lbs, is round like a ball and carries IWB easily. You just have to find the right spot.

Then there is hope for me yet.. thanks

my2002lightning
12-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Dana, you might also take a look at these urls for your KT and the Miami Classic shoulder holster setup from Galco. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG2.asp

IMO, you can't go wrong with Bianchi, either. http://www.bianchi-intl.com/

wesman
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM

True story....I usually keep mine in-between the seats in the SRT-10 and the Viper. I usually put it on my person in the event I am pulled over. I've only been pulled out of the car once in 7-10 times of being pulled over(no front plate, smoked rear cover, speeding etc.) since I've had my CHL.

--wes