PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue

Stinkbug
12-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Dads H-D has a starting issue. You can start up and drive for 15+ mins, stop come back and it will restart. If you start up and drive for 5 mins, shut off come back anytime in the next several hours its dead, lights look good everything works but it will not even turn over, just click. Now if you leave it alone over night it will start fine. Battery is new and starter is new. Sounds like a low voltage issue. :confused:

L8 APEX
12-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Check the starter solenoid behind the black plastic cover on the passenger side. When you catch it not starting turn the key on and short the harge terminals with a screw driver. You can check the coil wire to make sure the key is sending power. Also look for the flashing theft light.

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 01:38 PM
1.Check battery terminals, one could be loose, or need to be cleaned. A poor battery connection my not crank the truck, but will run headlights and such. You said the battery is new, so double check the battery first.
2.Test the voltage of the battery when it doesn't crank, a good charged battery should be about 14volts.
3.Check the solenoid as stated above.<--- Most likely your problem.

Stinkbug
12-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys the solenoid was the issue. I never noticed the solenoid behind that cover, I assumed that since it had a solenoid on the starter that was the issue. 25 dollars and its fixed, Thanks again.

N2Otorious
12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys the solenoid was the issue. I never noticed the solenoid behind that cover, I assumed that since it had a solenoid on the starter that was the issue. 25 dollars and its fixed, Thanks again.

Good to hear... :tu: