PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - East Texas(Tyler)

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Hello all,

I'm a new member here. Found this place on NLOC.net

I ended up getting a 2001 Lightning from a buddy that blew it up one day on the interstate. He was in the middle of a divorce, The lightning was her's he drove a Police interceptor crown vic. Then with half the income, he was not going to be able to cover the bills. He was going to let the L go back to the bank.

He Threw a rod(7 out of 8rods broke, 498HP, 511TQ, stock bottom end) on the interstate and called me, I worked out a deal with him, and his bank, I ended up trading my 98 Vortech blown Mustang GT for his NOT running 2001 L. The bank knew a Non-running truck isn't work very much.

I bought a Harley engine from E-bay salvage yard in Dallas area($2,850.00), They gave me a 6 month warranty. Good thing too... When it come time to install the "new Harley engine" I was immediately horrified. We removed the blower to find Large chunks of metal on the top of the intercooler(they went through the Eaton). and when we removed the intake, i found that 7 of the 8 cylinders were full of water, completely hydro locked, I learned this trying to turn the engine over to remove the crank pulley.

They said they ran a compression test on the engine while I waited to pick it up. Total B.S.

They did tell me the chucks of metal were from the upper plenum had gotten broke in the salvage yard, and then they put a new plenum on when I got there. OK so that explains how the water got in the engine, broken plenum and rain.

They held to the warranty and gave me a much cleaner, much better looking 2002 L engine. No injectors, no TB, the Oil cooler was crushed, the oil pan was damaged. They use a fork lift to pick the engines up right under the exhaust manifolds. I tried to tighten the bolts on the intake that I left the Eaton and the intake loose to show then the damage and water, and they told me not to worry about it, because they had already sold that engine(WHAT? for scrap maybe), so be careful if you buy from a salvage yard(Dakota Auto Salvage).

I made them pull the pan right there on the spot. The rolled the crank over with me there looking at it and you could hear all the hiss and squeezing...

Got everything swapped out and the truck fired up the first time since I've owned it 2 days ago. and it Idled smoothhhhhhhh. http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/images/smilies/biglaugh1.gif

I went on a very very short drive when I even touched the gas, and put the slightest load on the engine it missed very badly... VERY BADLY.

I parked it, and came back here and started reading, and reading.

I determined I needed to change plugs. Then I read how to change plugs and read 5 different ways to do that on several sites. What a pain in the butt.http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/images/smilies/headscratch.gif
-----------------------

I pulled and tested every Coil, Tested the Primary coil windings(.55ohms) and the Secondary coil windings(5500ohms).

Tested the 42# Fuel Injectors(14.5ohms), needed to be 12+ ohms.

and replaced all the factory Platinum plugs with a .050gap and bigger with NGK V-power TR6 gaped at .032

-----------------------
Before: Idle smooth - Under the slightest load it missed badly on all cylinders.

After: Raped ****ing ape.http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/images/smilies/thumbsup_smilie.gif
------------------------

Tomorrow I'll replace the fuel filter, and get the truck ready to inspect..

I love this damn truck now....

Sandman
12-29-2008, 03:26 AM
Wow. You really wanted a L didn't you? Glad it's all working out and welcome to the board!

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Wow. You really wanted a L didn't you? Glad it's all working out and welcome to the board!

I had a Harley F-150 about 5 years ago and loved it. I traded it in and got my wife a Mountaineer. I always wanted a L, and now she wants wants my L. :eek:

I told her, "Baby, That dog don't hunt.":rll:

dboat
12-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Great post.. good luck with the L.. its hard to go elsewhere except up and there isnt that much left to go UP to after you have owned an L.. :tu:

Dana

tiffo60
12-29-2008, 09:07 AM
sounds like you already know more about your L than most owners:tu:

welcome to the club

whitelightning'02
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the club.... I'm just up 14 in Holly Lake.

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Great post.. good luck with the L.. its hard to go elsewhere except up and there isnt that much left to go UP to after you have owned an L.. :tu:

Dana

I got my L blown up with Crank pulleys and stuff, I removed all that and went back factory. I wanted my L for a tow vehicle to pull my Race cars. I have a Triple White 1993 Mustang "Feature" car. 1 of 444 made. It has a 76mm Turbo on it and is still in project status. My Track car is a 1991 Mustang GT with all the bolt ons and a 70mm Turbo. I'm currently signed up to run at Pinks All out in Bell rose, LA. Feb 27-28th, and will be attending the Ennis, Tx Pinks All Out race in March also.

I'm New to Lightnings, not new to fast. :D

sounds like you already know more about your L than most owners:tu:

welcome to the club

Thanks, I do allot of reading and research. This is my first coil on plug engine so I was on a learning curve.:tu:

Welcome to the club.... I'm just up 14 in Holly Lake.

Is that around Longview? I've heard of a Bad White Lightning roaming the streets over there. You should come hangout with us on Saturday.

WWW.EastTexasMustangClub.com (http://etmc.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=466)

Just reminding you all that we will be having another G2G on January 3rd. at 7pm.

This time we will meet in Tyler at the Whataburger on the Loop between 31 and 64 next to the green Wal-Mart and across from the Wing-Stop. They have a HUGE parking lot with good lighting.

If you need better directions feel free to call Hugo or me at 903-830-5374, PM one of us, or PM one of our Mods.

We hope to see those of you who made it out last time and hopefully many more!

Thanks to all of you for making this site awesome! http://etmc.19.forumer.com/images/smiles/etmc/th_grinning-smiley-003.gif
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/wht95stanggt/ETMC%20Dec%2008%20G2G/IMG_2214.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/wht95stanggt/ETMC%20Dec%2008%20G2G/IMG_2202.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/wht95stanggt/ETMC%20Dec%2008%20G2G/IMG_2196.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/wht95stanggt/ETMC%20Dec%2008%20G2G/IMG_2203.jpg

99WhiteBeast
12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the club. I'm from Tyler originally and still have family down there.
Looks like a good group-see if I can make a meeting some time.:tu:

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the club. I'm from Tyler originally and still have family down there.
Looks like a good group-see if I can make a meeting some time.:tu:

Well you're welcome to join us anytime...

When the weather gets better, we will be doing Go-carts, drive-In Movie/BBQ, Bowling, putt-putt golf, etc...

How about Saturday?:D

0'Lightning
12-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Welcome!
How long did it take you to swap out the motors? How many miles did the new motor have on it? I'm considering going down that route in about 30K miles. You should post some pics of your truck!

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Welcome!
How long did it take you to swap out the motors? How many miles did the new motor have on it? I'm considering going down that route in about 30K miles. You should post some pics of your truck!
I'm going to take some pictures soon, I'm in need of rear tires now:D so when I get new tires, I'm going to have my wheels powder coated white while they are off.

Swap took days. I know a FORD mechanic over here that says he would do the job in 2 days, and charge $600.00 plus you have to provide everything needed(oil, gaskets, etc, etc.). He says he pulls the cab off the frame and does it to get the job done quickly.

Well worth the 600 IMO, I will never try to swap this engine again. :D

0'Lightning
12-29-2008, 02:12 PM
:eek2:Wow, I knew it wasn't easy but didnt know it was THAT big of a pain.

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 02:13 PM
:eek2:Wow, I knew it wasn't easy but didnt know it was THAT big of a pain.

Ever change the plugs?:tu: That's nothing.:icon_mrgreen:

TXLIGHTNING
12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Is that around Longview? I've heard of a Bad White Lightning roaming the streets over there. Lol, he thinks its bad. I only met the guy once, a real asshat if you ask me, but it is a nice truck. I raced him in my truck and pulled several trucks on him and ever since then he wont even look over at me when I pull up on him :evil I think he was running a 6# lower with a ported Eaton, and some other bolt ons.

0'Lightning
12-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Ever change the plugs?:tu: That's nothing.:icon_mrgreen:

I'm paying Terry to change my plugs. I thought about going ahead and changing all but the hard ones to get to, but I wasnt sure how long you can drive with 6 fresh plugs and 2 old?

whitelightning'02
12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
"Is that around Longview? I've heard of a Bad White Lightning roaming the streets over there. You should come hangout with us on Saturday."

It's as far from Longview as it is Tyler both 30-35 miles... I'm 10 miles north of 80, up 14 and then up 2869. Holly Lake is a SilverLeaf resort.....and no.....my L isn't real Bad....lol. It's still stock and only has 352 hp and 437 ft torque. I'll have to try to see if I can stay awake some Saturday night...lol :beer: :rll::rll::rll:

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm paying Terry to change my plugs. I thought about going ahead and changing all but the hard ones to get to, but I wasnt sure how long you can drive with 6 fresh plugs and 2 old?

I have a moto, "Do it right or Don't do it at all."

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Lol, he thinks its bad. I only met the guy once, a real asshat if you ask me, but it is a nice truck. I raced him in my truck and pulled several trucks on him and ever since then he wont even look over at me when I pull up on him :evil I think he was running a 6# lower with a ported Eaton, and some other bolt ons.

Really???? Cool... I love it when AssHats get put in their place.

I de-tuned mine to stock,I do not ever want to change the engine out again.

If you're free Saturday, why don't you come on out, meet some cool folks over a Burger... I'd love to check out your truck.:tu:

N2Otorious
12-29-2008, 10:14 PM
It's as far from Longview as it is Tyler both 30-35 miles... I'm 10 miles north of 80, up 14 and then up 2869. Holly Lake is a SilverLeaf resort.....and no.....my L isn't real Bad....lol. It's still stock and only has 352 hp and 437 ft torque. I'll have to try to see if I can stay awake some Saturday night...lol :beer: :rll::rll::rll:

I have some "No Doze". :tu: