PDA

View Full Version : Jlp heat exchanger should i install?

In2deep
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Whats up guys, i have received a heat exchanger in a recent swap should i keep or sale or swap it off? Im not sure the benefits of it on a daily driver mostly stock truck!?? Input please!!

dboat
01-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Whats up guys, i have received a heat exchanger in a recent swap should i keep or sale or swap it off? Im not sure the benefits of it on a daily driver mostly stock truck!?? Input please!!

I have one.. it has its benefits esp in the summer..

Mark #2
01-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Stock boost no, increased boost yes, but very marginal improvement.
I have one

In2deep
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Im running 14lbs right now

BC Lightning
01-22-2009, 09:17 PM
stick with the stock H/E, sell the JLP and use some of that $$ to get a killer chiller, you will have much colder IAT temps with the Killer Chiller than you ever will with a H/E

go to the other sites and read the hundreds of posts with data on it

Mark #2
01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Im running 14lbs right now
On an HEaton, then yes in Tx.
The chiller is rather complicated and expensive for a stockish truck, even my stock block truck.

BC Lightning
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
On an HEaton, then yes in Tx.
The chiller is rather complicated and expensive for a stockish truck, even my stock block truck.

have you seen/read about the new released kits?? Alot more user friendly now, I have one on the shelf and Tyson has one installed on his truck

BC Lightning
01-22-2009, 09:51 PM
if you want to drop temps even more Amazon Tuning solutions released an upgraded intercooler (bolts to the midplate under the blower)

In2deep
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Price on the chiller??

BC Lightning
01-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Price on the chiller??

The company that makes them are a vendor on Lightning Rodder

http://lightningrodder.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Im not sure if they are still doing the group buy on SVTPerformance

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2nd-generation-22/539047-group-buy-killer-chiller.html

Mark #2
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
have you seen/read about the new released kits?? Alot more user friendly now, I have one on the shelf and Tyson has one installed on his truck

I had not and they look pretty good, have you guys run faster than a 9 year old stock block truck yet?

FRDRCING
01-23-2009, 12:49 AM
I will see how it helps me out Mark with my 9 year old block. I finally got my gauge in today to monitor the temps. I will get that installed this weekend. But for a little bit on how fast the kit works. Here is a video from one of the old design kits on a truck in Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Ql84-iz6I

nacklas
01-23-2009, 01:16 AM
I will see how it helps me out Mark with my 9 year old block. I finally got my gauge in today to monitor the temps. I will get that installed this weekend. But for a little bit on how fast the kit works. Here is a video from one of the old design kits on a truck in Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Ql84-iz6I

WOW:eek:
Tyson where did you get the gauge from?

BC Lightning
01-23-2009, 09:16 AM
WOW:eek:
Tyson where did you get the gauge from?

comes with the kit :tu:

BC Lightning
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I had not and they look pretty good, have you guys run faster than a 9 year old stock block truck yet?

Will I ever... probably not, unless I buy a truck to gut and set up for drag racing, but I drag race maybe once every 6 months, and honestly don't see the point of drag racing anymore

with the 4link, panhard bar, tubular UCA/LCA, front and rear coilovers I setting my truck up to handle curves at 100mph+ so I know my 60ft went out the window

I'll still take it to the track if we do a track day, but I really don't care what it will run

Drag Racing is to masturbation as Auto-X is to sex, sure its fun to get there in 10sec or less, but I'd rather do it for 30min or longer

Mark #2
01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Will I ever... probably not, unless I buy a truck to gut and set up for drag racing, but I drag race maybe once every 6 months, and honestly don't see the point of drag racing anymore

with the 4link, panhard bar, tubular UCA/LCA, front and rear coilovers I setting my truck up to handle curves at 100mph+ so I know my 60ft went out the window

I'll still take it to the track if we do a track day, but I really don't care what it will run

Drag Racing is to masturbation as Auto-X is to sex, sure its fun to get there in 10sec or less, but I'd rather do it for 30min or longer

I used to Auto-X, two time Porsche club champion.
Auto-xing a truck is like having sex with a fat chick, why would you do it?

BC Lightning
01-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I used to Auto-X, two time Porsche club champion.
Auto-xing a truck is like having sex with a fat chick, why would you do it?

The same reason people with small peckers drive a Porsche :tu:

I'm not going to get into Auto X that much, but enjoy taking the truck out and taking turns over going in a straight line

If/when I would get into AutoX I'll buy a FRC Vette and build that, the truck is going to be a crusier

Ohmsby
01-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Flip Flop Flip Flop

BC Lightning
01-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Flip Flop Flip Flop

Your right, I did start the build and had planned on drag racing, but have since changed my mind, I didnt want to sacrifice the streetability of the truck just to go 1/4mile in a straight line, cage, etc etc

Mark #2
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
The same reason people with small peckers drive a Porsche :tu:

I'm not going to get into Auto X that much, but enjoy taking the truck out and taking turns over going in a straight line

If/when I would get into AutoX I'll buy a FRC Vette and build that, the truck is going to be a crusier

Guys with big ones race 911s and win PCA championships;)

My truck is set up for handling and not drag racing with a Roush suspension, negative camber, and Hotchkis sway bars.

So we could go Auto-xing when you complete your truck and see what happens.:tu:

Sorry, for continuing the OT discussion, but it gives you guys something to read.:D

Ohmsby
01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Mike this is probably an area of expertise that Mark has us whipped on

Beaudee
01-23-2009, 11:12 PM

Anything that removes Heat is a plus.Even though your nearly stock,throw it on keep it for future mods.Its one of the few things on my mod list i should have done a while back:tu::burnout:

Beaudee
01-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Your right, I did start the build and had planned on drag racing, but have since changed my mind, I didnt want to sacrifice the streetability of the truck just to go 1/4mile in a straight line, cage, etc etc

From the looks of that truck,better have a good lawer:icon_mrgreen:Be careful!!:icon_twisted:

BC Lightning
01-23-2009, 11:16 PM

My truck is set up for handling and not drag racing with a Roush suspension, negative camber, and Hotchkis sway bars.

Sorry, for continuing the OT discussion, but it gives you guys something to read.:D

roush suspension consists of front lowering springs and rear leaf springs, and bilstein shocks, and the hotchkiss is better than stock for sure.....

but getting rid of the leafs and going 4-link, front and rear coilovers, panhard bar, upgraded front and rear sway bars, tubular UCA/LCA and upgraded steering rack..... we might have to put some money on the table when we do have a auto X day :nana2

BC Lightning
01-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Anything that removes Heat is a plus.Even though your nearly stock,throw it on keep it for future mods.Its one of the few things on my mod list i should have done a while back:tu::burnout:

Don't put it on if you go with the killer chiller, it will actually raise temps due to the air passing through the H/E, but if you dont get the Killer chiller then yes it will help some

BC Lightning
01-23-2009, 11:19 PM
From the looks of that truck,better have a good lawer:icon_mrgreen:Be careful!!:icon_twisted:

Yes I do have a good lawyer, but not sure what you mean?? I don't use him for traffic tickets and such

Beaudee
01-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes I do have a good lawyer, but not sure what you mean?? I don't use him for traffic tickets and such

Any stops in a 10 sec daily driver are usually felony ones:D Youll figure it out.No traffic stuff,get of jail stuff:evil:evil

dboat
01-25-2009, 08:29 PM

I had forgotten about this but found it again.. since you boys are interested in the curves on occasion with your L.. have you thought about either one of these?

http://www.dm-racing.net/spyder_kit_2.htm

http://www.dm-racing.net/spyder_kit_1.htm

Dana

BC Lightning
01-25-2009, 10:50 PM
I had forgotten about this but found it again.. since you boys are interested in the curves on occasion with your L.. have you thought about either one of these?

http://www.dm-racing.net/spyder_kit_2.htm

http://www.dm-racing.net/spyder_kit_1.htm

Dana

not going with either of them, he is now making a spyder brace that has a mount for a battery, going with that one, he has a vendor forum on LightningRodder

L8 APEX
01-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I think the worst flexing is happening in the frame in front of the rear axle. I would watch my bed and cab flex apart while road racing. A cage is the most effective way to stiffen it up...... I said stiffen:beer: