PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a Programmer I Can Borrow in N.Dallas/Plano area?

tliss
01-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey gang,

Drove the Lightning yeterday for the first time in a while. On the way home the engine was overheating and I had to stop to let it cool down before I blew a hose or worse. It cooled down pretty quick and I was able to make it home. Now the Check Engine Light is on and I know it's throwing a code. I need to see what it's saying. Anybody up in the north have a programmer I can borrow to check the codes? I figure it might be a stuck thermostat, but I'm curious to see what the code says and at least clear it.

Let me know.

Tom

Mark #2
01-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey gang,

Drove the Lightning yeterday for the first time in a while. On the way home the engine was overheating and I had to stop to let it cool down before I blew a hose or worse. It cooled down pretty quick and I was able to make it home. Now the Check Engine Light is on and I know it's throwing a code. I need to see what it's saying. Anybody up in the north have a programmer I can borrow to check the codes? I figure it might be a stuck thermostat, but I'm curious to see what the code says and at least clear it.

Let me know.

Tom

I think the programmers are locked to a specific computer.
Go to Autozone and let them read it and then replace the thermostat.

You could just disconnect the battery overnight and see if it clears, and the thermostat may not be stuck now.

L8 APEX
01-24-2009, 09:43 PM
If you have an Efan the relay or temp sensor may have failed. It is prolly a high cyl temp code or reduced power code. Vatozone reads and clears them for free.

In2deep
01-24-2009, 11:37 PM
vatozone lmao

tliss
01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Yep...got an e-fan. I guess I'll check with vatozone to see what they say. I keep the battery unplugged so it doesn't drain since I've got an electrical issue somewhere that keeps drawing power when the ignition is off. I'll plug it back in later to check it out.

Thanks fellers.

Tom

jmlay
01-25-2009, 11:35 AM
A SCT hand held will be vin locked for programming. But you will still be able to use it o pull diag. codes from other vehicles, I have done this several times.

If you have unhooked your battery the code will be cleared & you will need to wait until it comes back before scanning or it will read P1000.

Mike

L8 APEX
01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
9 out of ten it was the efan that caused the over heating. Need to check the relay, socket and temp switch.

In2deep
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
So what was the problem after all??

tliss
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I haven't messed with it since I put it in the garage that day and unplugged the battery. Perhaps this weekend I'll get out there and check the efan. I have a feeling that is what it was...the efan kicks on when I turn the ignition before starting the motor, but I don't recall it kicking on (although I admit I wasn't paying attention either). I'll post up once I get out there and figure it out.

Tom