PDA

View Full Version : Obama to let states set own emissions standards

98Cobra
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Worst. Idea. Ever.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/26/obama.emissions/index.html

dboat
01-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Yep, this is so wrong on a lot of levels.. however, I do think that there are other things that are worse.. like closing Gitmo.. and I could go on.. but dont hammer the auto guys while they are already reeling.. also, auto standards should be the same from state to state.. to do so otherwise, is just plain foolishness, IMHO>>

DANA

Silver_2000
01-26-2009, 12:12 PM
what you think that the failing automakers will have trouble producing 50 different versions of each car ? :evil

or that everyone will get the California versions :vomit:

California is already doing it - i doubt it will have much impact

Id love to see the concrete and coal polluters south of DFW forced to comply with existing pollution regs but they are too good with bribes

WA 2 FST
01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
He's already proving that he is an idiot. He's been there less than a week, and anti-terrorism is taking a hit, and now he's willing to let the Big 3 take another blow to the groin.

98Cobra
01-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Yea - having a different standard for California is manageable - but if 14 states have tougher regs, we will all get CA pollution standards. :(

dboat
01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Yea - having a different standard for California is manageable - but if 14 states have tougher regs, we will all get CA pollution standards. :(

or worse.. what happens if 5 states decide to make it even tougher and they represent 30% of all sales..

arbitrarily raising the CAFE standard to 35 mpg is stupid too.. people wont get fooled again and are looking to buy fuel efficient cars again. But dont set a standard like that, the marketplace will fix it. The Big Three and the others know that they will have to sell cars and trucks that get good gas mileage..

Dana

Mark #2
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Reminds me of the 70s
Increase CAFE and get the Pinto, Mustang II, and the Vega

VW crushes all the US companies with the Bug.
Honda, Toyota, will do the same thing again.

This will not help the US auto industry at all.

Ohmsby
01-26-2009, 09:40 PM
:popcorn it's a pile on for sure.