PDA

View Full Version : Being taxed on your miles driven

dboat
02-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, the Administration was thinking of taxing us on how many miles we drive instead of by the gallon of gas... however, there is already starting to be a pretty big push against this and they have backtracked..

here is an article on it.. but that still leaves some states that are considering it too..

This is more Change you can believe in.. :flaming:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090220/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/lahood_vehicle_mileage_tax;_ylt=AuznkL_ro0M_IW3DkJ ejes3gtY54

WA 2 FST
02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Like I said, the only "change" I'll be hearing is what is falling out of my pocket after Obama and his leftist cronies are done holding me upside down, shaking me, and then giving me a thump in the butt for good measure.

The govt took enough of my $$ this year. Tax return? Uh, no.

charlie
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, the Administration was thinking of taxing us on how many miles we drive instead of by the gallon of gas... however, there is already starting to be a pretty big push against this and they have backtracked..

here is an article on it.. but that still leaves some states that are considering it too..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090220/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/lahood_vehicle_mileage_tax;_ylt=AuznkL_ro0M_IW3DkJ ejes3gtY54

Hummm I believe I said this would happen before the Gov. would let anything but gas be used in the comon vehicle.

Next will be wide spread alternitives to gas that actually work and cost affective.

Ohmsby
02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
I am liquidating and heading to the islands... Game over

mustgofaster
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
A bunch of BS if you ask me.. I'm already broke & they want to tax me on my 100mi round trip drive to work,,, they can kiss my arse!!

dboat
02-20-2009, 09:21 PM
A bunch of BS if you ask me.. I'm already broke & they want to tax me on my 100mi round trip drive to work,,, they can kiss my arse!!

Just think of it as a permanent toll road... :evil

at least it didnt get traction this time.. but now that it is out in the open.. just wait, it will come back again..it always does..

Dana

my2002lightning
02-20-2009, 10:08 PM
WTH is this mess ?!? :hammer::flaming:

President Barack Obama will not adopt a policy to tax motorists based on how many miles they drive instead of how much gasoline they buy, his chief spokesman said Friday. Press secretary Robert Gibbs commented after Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told The Associated Press that he wants to consider the idea, which has been proposed in some states but has angered many drivers.

I wonder if there are plans in the works for miles flown?

Silver_2000
02-21-2009, 12:55 AM
if the current gas taxes and other "road taxes" that arent used for roads were repealed then a use tax isnt so bad. BUT you can expect that they wont be do ing away with any current revenue streams - simply adding to them

dboat
02-21-2009, 07:16 AM
if the current gas taxes and other "road taxes" that arent used for roads were repealed then a use tax isnt so bad. BUT you can expect that they wont be do ing away with any current revenue streams - simply adding to them

exactly, because the point will be that electric cars arent paying these taxes and that as fuel economy gets better the tax revenue falls again.. but the govt knows that they start to float these ideas out in the public, then back away, then come back again and again until the public just gives in.. the real issue isnt so much the taxes as the invasion of your personal privacy of knowing where you go, how much you go, how far you go, remember this will put a gps in every car and have the data uploaded every time you fill it up.. :tex

Dana

Wht95Lightning
02-21-2009, 08:50 AM
The Beatles had a song about this. "Taxman"

One line:

If you try to sit I'll tax your seat.

:mad:

Silver_2000
02-21-2009, 11:08 AM
exactly, because the point will be that electric cars arent paying these taxes and that as fuel economy gets better the tax revenue falls again.. but the govt knows that they start to float these ideas out in the public, then back away, then come back again and again until the public just gives in.. the real issue isnt so much the taxes as the invasion of your personal privacy of knowing where you go, how much you go, how far you go, remember this will put a gps in every car and have the data uploaded every time you fill it up.. :tex

Dana

No the first version will be that you will pay the tax with your registration. The infrastructure costs required to equip every car and gas station would be billions

Its just another form you have to bring when you register - or when you inspect - mileage needs to be verified by a 3rd party - then you write a big check

dboat
02-21-2009, 02:39 PM
No the first version will be that you will pay the tax with your registration. The infrastructure costs required to equip every car and gas station would be billions

Its just another form you have to bring when you register - or when you inspect - mileage needs to be verified by a 3rd party - then you write a big check

you know, that is true..however, I had read where they wanted to put the readers in the gas stations.. but they would just pass legislation that would require the gas stations owners to have to buy the equipment if they are going to sell gas or diesel.. either way it just aint right..

Dana

Beaudee
02-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Obama should tax guns,heck he is the #1 gun salesman of all times.I already have all mine:tongue:7T4-mChfyEE

Beaudee
02-21-2009, 09:19 PM

This will never fly.@ most i see a tax @ registration,like that isnt enough as it is.My boat trailor is 45.07 every year.Oklahoma trailors are free.i guess its about where you live.