PDA

View Full Version : Directv in HD

Sandman
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I've been a very satisfied directv customer for several years. The other day I got an hd tv and had them upgrade my service. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Pros:
+They gave me all the new equipment and installed for free.
+Initially they said it would be 5 weeks before they could do the install, so they gave me the hd access free for the first 6 months.
+After logging onto my account, I realized I could see the order and reschedule it. I kept checking back and got it scheduled for a week after my initial call, and I got to keep the free 6 month hd access :)
+They installed a SWM system. This allowed for one cable to be ran to the dvr and would support both tuners.
+HD looks really good.
+The "Active" channel is pretty neat.
+The guide is easier to sort and it is easier to find shows and manage season passes.
+The remote scheduling is really neat and easy to use!

Cons:
-Had to sign a 2 year contract.
-Locals thru directv do not have all the other hd side channels.
-My old dvr was a directv tivo that I owned, not leased.
-The tivo software is so much more intuitive. This directv software sucks.
-The directv tivo had a 30 minute buffer on each tuner and I could swap between tuners effortlessly. I just assumed it would be a feature of the new dvr. I hunted for an hour before I realized it wasn't there. WTH? What idiot thought that wasn't a necessary feature!?:mad:
-PPV.. this stuff expires in 24 hours now:mad:. WTH is that all about!?!?!? My old dvr I could buy and record, then watch it whenever and as often as I like. Not anymore. Directv blames the movie studios and DRM. If I buy a song off iTunes, I don't have to buy it again in 24 hours.
-OnDemand is neat, but not much to watch of interest on there.
-The HD Extra pack should be part of the premier package.

Good news is that tivo and directv are supposed to be working on a new dvr together. (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4900010#)

I'm going to give this a little more time. I may cancel all this hd stuff and go back to my old directv tivo.

dboat
02-22-2009, 10:33 PM
my directtv dvr has 1.5 hours of recording on it.. a lot more than my tivo.. I like the dtv dvr better than my tivo.. the searc function is better, IMHO.. plus the other features are better and they can upgrade the software over time.. I am ready to throw my tivo in the trash..

but after having all those HD channels, I just dont think I could go back..

Dana

In2deep
02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
100% satisfied with my Directv hd dvr.. Dont know how i survived without it!!

Sandman
02-22-2009, 11:54 PM
my directtv dvr has 1.5 hours of recording on it.. a lot more than my tivo.. I like the dtv dvr better than my tivo.. the searc function is better, IMHO.. plus the other features are better and they can upgrade the software over time.. I am ready to throw my tivo in the trash..

but after having all those HD channels, I just dont think I could go back..

Dana

bring that tivo to texas with you, I'll take it off your hands :D

dboat
02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
bring that tivo to texas with you, I'll take it off your hands :D

ok.. I really was going to trash it.. its yours.. :tu: remember its not HD..

TXLIGHTNING
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
100% satisfied with my Directv hd dvr.. Dont know how i survived without it!! +1 I love my DTV HD DVR :tu:

Sandman
02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
ok.. I really was going to trash it.. its yours.. :tu: remember its not HD..

Ah. I misunderstood and thought it was hd. Thanks, but go ahead an chunk it. But I still love the tivo I have :) I'm going to give the new dvr some time and see if it grows on me. I'm pretty resistant to change, so that's gonna be half the problem right there:)

dboat
02-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Ah. I misunderstood and thought it was hd. Thanks, but go ahead an chunk it. But I still love the tivo I have :) I'm going to give the new dvr some time and see if it grows on me. I'm pretty resistant to change, so that's gonna be half the problem right there:)

Oh, I completely understand.. I went through it too.. but once I learned the new dvr,,, not sure I would go back..