PDA

View Full Version : Solid Back Glass

ZeusSVT
02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Anyone know the best place to buy one and get it installed in the metroplex. Thanks!!

Shiner1
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
This response isn't going to be very helpfull....but so what..:icon_biggrin: Why do you want solid glass??

dboat
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
This response isn't goingto be very helpfull....but so what..:icon_biggrin: Why do you want solid glass??

quieter.. also, makes it a little more difficult to get robbed.. been thinking about it myself.

Dana

In2deep
02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm sure if u craigslist a glass swap there would be tons of replies

99WhiteBeast
02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
There is a guy that Terry used to send to the shop for windshields. He's from or works out of Duncanville but will travel to you.

He was only charging like $100 for windshield replacement.

I wanna say his name is Riley. Search in the 'Talon Recommends' sub forum

RSVT
02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Anyone know the best place to buy one and get it installed in the metroplex. Thanks!!

i dont have the solid back glass, but i do have a f-150 back window without the middle sliding one, $50 bucks takes it:tu:
and i know a place that installs it for $75 here in Fort Worth off of 121

ZeusSVT
02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
This response isn't going to be very helpfull....but so what..:icon_biggrin: Why do you want solid glass??

Less noise, will look better to me, and about to put stereo and speakers in and this will take away the ease of access that the rear window allows. I've been able to get in before in a matter of seconds. :eek2: I know if someone wants in bad enough they will get in, but a solid would be somewhat of a deterrant from the backglass slider.

dboat
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Less noise, will look better to me, and about to put stereo and speakers in and this will take away the ease of access that the rear window allows. I've been able to get in before in a matter of seconds. :eek2: I know if someone wants in bad enough they will get in, but a solid would be somewhat of a deterrant from the backglass slider.

quieter.. also, makes it a little more difficult to get robbed.. been thinking about it myself.

Dana

yep, what I said.. :tu:

ZeusSVT
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
yep, what I said.. :tu:

Yep! I've wanted to do it for a while as well, but been putting off the stereo and interior stuff so had no real reason to do it. The noise has about got the best of me though, and about to start on some interior work as well in the next few months. So figured I would start looking for one now.

ZeusSVT
02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
i dont have the solid back glass, but i do have a f-150 back window without the middle sliding one, $50 bucks takes it:tu:
and i know a place that installs it for $75 here in Fort Worth off of 121

Is is the same one that fits in our truck, and it is new or used?? What is the name of the place?

Ohmsby
02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I have enough Dyna mat to do an L at my shop that I would sell.....

dboat
02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

Terry did mine.. made a huge difference in heat and noise.. :tu::tu:

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8930

Dana

ZeusSVT
02-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Arrgghhh, wish I would have known. I paid full price for two boxes from some place online. :tex

RSVT
02-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Is is the same one that fits in our truck, and it is new or used?? What is the name of the place?

yeah it fits our trucks i bought the whole window used, but all i used was the middle one(sliding one) to replace mine because mine didnt have the locking hinge, i bought it used for $75, will take $50 for it....im not sure of the name but i do recall them quoting me $75 for install, its off 121 & Beach st.

ZeusSVT
02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Wait, nevermind, I guess I misunderstood it. I thought you had a solid. You have a slider missing the middle i guess is what you meant.

I guess I will hit up Terry and see who he used to use. It would be nice to have someone that can come here to my place to do the install.

Shiner1
02-23-2009, 10:58 PM

:tu:

ZeusSVT
02-23-2009, 11:12 PM
:tu:

Now help me find a place!!! :D

BC Lightning
02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
214-288-2917 Name is Riley, he is the guy Terry used

installed about 4 windshields for me, 2 on my L, one on my buddies L, and my dads Tahoe, came to the house, charged around $150 to do the front L windshield

I'll be using him when I go with a solid rear window, and replace the windshield

BC Lightning
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Arrgghhh, wish I would have known. I paid full price for two boxes from some place online. :tex

will take way more than two boxes of dynamat extreme to cover the L, That is if you do the floor, back wall, roof, around the seat belt holders, doors, etc

I used close to 4 boxes and still have some patching to do (thats putting at least 1 - 2 sheets down in a section, and not including the insulation pad to lay over it under the carpet)

0'Lightning
02-24-2009, 03:32 AM
and this will take away the ease of access that the rear window allows. I've been able to get in before in a matter of seconds. :eek2:

+1

I locked my keys in my L while it was running one time. I broke in the back window with a shove, to easy of a shove. The locking clamp just popped off, gorilla glue fixed it. I was so mad I locked my self out that just I forced the back window open. I'll think twice if it happends again. I should have just hired some one to unlock it :o.

ZeusSVT
02-24-2009, 08:31 AM
214-288-2917 Name is Riley, he is the guy Terry used

installed about 4 windshields for me, 2 on my L, one on my buddies L, and my dads Tahoe, came to the house, charged around $150 to do the front L windshield

I'll be using him when I go with a solid rear window, and replace the windshield

Thanks, I am going to look him up in the next couple weeks and set a date for him to come out.

will take way more than two boxes of dynamat extreme to cover the L, That is if you do the floor, back wall, roof, around the seat belt holders, doors, etc

I used close to 4 boxes and still have some patching to do (thats putting at least 1 - 2 sheets down in a section, and not including the insulation pad to lay over it under the carpet)

Shit, four boxes.....I thought two was gonna be enough. I wasn't planning to do the roof yet until I get the headliner redone. Didn't wanna have to rip it out twice. Do you think 2 boxes will do the floor, backwall, and the doors for now? The funny part is I ordered this shit over a year ago, and just now getting around to starting on it. :hammer:

+1

I locked my keys in my L while it was running one time. I broke in the back window with a shove, to easy of a shove. The locking clamp just popped off, gorilla glue fixed it. I was so mad I locked my self out that just I forced the back window open. I'll think twice if it happends again. I should have just hired some one to unlock it :o.

I popped mine with a screwdriver and slid in and hit the lock button. It was so easy to do that I told myself I wouldn't put a stereo in until I got a solid glass installed. All the while my alarm is going off on my truck in the mall parking lot and no one even approached me about what I was doing. :tex

tiffo60
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Takes 100sqft of matt to do a Lightning, everything but the roof.....

ghostrider
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
What kind of condition is your slider in? If its in good condition I may trade you my solid for you slider.

0'Lightning
02-24-2009, 10:59 PM
What kind of condition is your slider in? If its in good condition I may trade you my solid for you slider.

His whole truck is in perfect condition:tu:

ZeusSVT
02-25-2009, 08:10 AM

Yeah the glass still looks like new I guess. It does have double layer 5% tint on it though. I guess if we were to trade I could get it taken off. We'd just have to find some one that could do the removal and install. I'm gonna get in touch with this guy next week and see what kind of scheduling he requires ahead of time. Where do you live in relation to north dallas? How long have you had a solid glass in your lightning?

In2deep
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
You could do it yourselves there are four bolts that hold it in and its glued maybe a heat gun to get the glue to break, not that hard just be easy on it..

ZeusSVT
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
You could do it yourselves there are four bolts that hold it in and its glued maybe a heat gun to get the glue to break, not that hard just be easy on it..

I'd kinda rather have someone do it that backs up their work. That way if it started leaking or something it could easily be fixed. Just personal preference. I don't mind paying for quality work!!

In2deep
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
True, just trying to be cost effective, the caulking that is put between keeps all the water out!!

BC Lightning
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I'd kinda rather have someone do it that backs up their work. That way if it started leaking or something it could easily be fixed. Just personal preference. I don't mind paying for quality work!!

+1

when I took my back glass an plastic surrond out it was a PITA and that was me not caring it it broke or not

ZeusSVT
02-25-2009, 07:22 PM
+1

when I took my back glass an plastic surrond out it was a PITA and that was me not caring it it broke or not

Hey Mike what's the name of that paint place that you use, and do you think they could smooth and paint that surround silver to match and do a good job on it?

BC Lightning
02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I use Clark bros in Arlington, best painters, they are smoothing all of my plastic pieces and color matching

dboat
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I use Clark bros in Arlington, best painters, they are smoothing all of my plastic pieces and color matching

post up pics.. :tu:

ZeusSVT
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM

Word!! I'll be looking them up too. Thanks!!

BC Lightning
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I post updates to my build on lightning rodder, don't have new pics of plastic pieces yet since I'm working on the 4-link, trans. and front suspension, once that's done and I bolt the 3.4 whipple and WMS monster inlet I'll drop the cab on the frame and start working on exterior and paint

In2deep
02-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I have used eric and Scott Clark for years, only the best work comes out of there